Kinlin 270 rim "event"--------STRONG

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

WinterRider

by WinterRider

"I've heard some local horror stories about failures of Pacenti and Kinlin rims" was line in earlier posting.

As if.. the manufacturer has CONTROL over those building the product from said rims. Yet said producer gets the smear.. not fair in my view. Today's 'society' is full of the element that takes NO responsibility for their mistakes .. errors .. lack of accountability. ---->End of mini rant... :smartass:

So.. this is my story .. testimonial to the Kinlin 270 rim. Understand clearly I AM the duffus who ass-embled this albeit very strong wheel and subsequently destroyed it -- thru a combination of a failure to check adjustment of the chg'd out rear derailleur and events lining up all at the same instant. My 270 wheel a lacing of mine .. 18/10 employing 36H Novatec hub laced with Lasers... 3x DS with 4 pair 1x NDS and 2 radial. Not complete symmetry yet the original lacing per this combo albeit heavier spokes and less rim depth is well past 8500 miles and sailing along. Not something I continue to build .. I'm on to other lacings for this recreational pursuit. But.. I digress........ :roll:

I'm out checking shifting with my replaced rear de .. descending a fairly steep hill .. fortunately riding the walkway which is bordered with thick fairly HIGH grass.. so luckily. Between a faulty shift.. a misaligned rear de .. and hitting a sharp bump .. the chain ends up between spokes and hub. Talk about braking ... the rear wheel locked instantly .. at around 20 mph+. Luckily the processor between my ears .. the same unit responsible for this stooooopid event .. continues to function under these events .. even sorting the data at a good clip. I am slowing somewhat yet my momentum downhill negates said rear braking effect .. me on the front brake to the limit of good control. Obviously said momentum is continuing my 180's lb mass forward .. did occur to me to lean back but the unit above said NO time and scrapped that plan .. things happening too fast. One then knows bike will stop soon yet the riding mass is going to continue down and forward ... as that instant came the processor veered onto the grass .. exiting said 180's mass into a near perfect tumble and subsequent slide onto said lush soft grass. Done... no injury ... lesson learned the hardest way sans getting the RIP plaque.

Someone was giving the "rider/IDIOT" the 5th degree... very loudly with generous profanity .. with no one else present. Bike lay in the grass ... expecting the worst I was ... first inspection showed 3-4 Lasers stretched to their limit before making two units. Amazing elasticity ... once home the unit was broke down expecting the rim to be toast .. a reminding souvenir of "how the f NOT too". No.. not the case.. said 270 KINLIN was ROUND.. and laid completely FLAT on the floor. Hmmmm.. seems to have NO ill effect. Hub has some minor scrapes... ok. More careful measurement and inspection of the KINLIN 270 shows it retained roundness completely... was completely without any issue whatsoever. Amazing.....

Nah... hang it on the wall I thought. But ... this KINLIN 270 looked new. After deliberation .. I ordered spokes to fit this rim to another hub. Afterall ... only the duffus who conducted this event was going to ride it ... it built and trued just as easily as when it arrived. :beerchug: Amazing IMO.

Much ... much learned from this event. The list is somewhat longer yadda yadda. Suffice to say ... leaving the friendly confines for a test ride means more careful inspection of gear. Lady Luck .. or the equivalent does not always visit at each brain dead event. Something to consider... :smartass:

ADD-endum: Said event made me consider a 'LOVE MY KINLIN' t-shirt .. figuring some interest might generate .. maybe the fair gender would make inquires. :thumbup:

Kinlin's IMO are VALUE, PERFORMANCE, QUALITY--- ALL IN ONE. Very rare nowdays. Yes the $$ margin isn't there like some 'name' brands which only supply another .50 worth of gaudy decaling .. at best. And alloy rims do not have the failure mode of resin types... I will always ride alloys.
Litespeed 2000 Appalachian 61 cm
Litespeed 1998 Blue Ridge 61cm

Fitness rider.. 1 yr from seven decades age.

That is my story and I'm stick'n to it.

jbaillie

by jbaillie

That was my line. Purely anecdotal and I hope it isn't taken as more than that.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WinterRider

by WinterRider

jbaillie wrote:That was my line. Purely anecdotal and I hope it isn't taken as more than that.

Ooops .. my bad. Nothing meant per line content.. more to those
assembling units and laying issues on product vs their ability produce wheels that stand.

One of mine.. the 'Sergeant Spoke'. The one that brings side to side and roundness into finish form at the cost of much increased tension vs the neighbor spokes. "Sarge" will usually fatigue much sooner than he should ...
methinks the product of inexperienced builders, those that do not care and those who never use tension meters of any kind. Granted a very few can build by feel.. but that generation is fading fast into obscurity. Most of those BTW did not meet the standards of tension meters.

evan326

by evan326

I really enjoyed reading that, sorry for your hard learned lesson though.

Marin

by Marin

Not sure why you expected the rim to be damaged from the chain dropping into the spokes?

WinterRider

by WinterRider

Marin wrote:Not sure why you expected the rim to be damaged from the chain dropping into the spokes?

I learned to build wheels via the used route .. and learned rims store 'memories'.. being road out of true and some even in a minor way. Methinks this Kinlin event would have rendered some rims scrap. Yet this forementioned 270 went into finish form just like a new one. Lasers likely some rationale for this .. but I see rims with spokes pulled thru the metal per events of similar circumstance... not this 270.

Kinlin rocks. :beerchug: Sans .50 decals worth of UG-lee glue ons......

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

I agree that Kinlin makes really good rims. I'm riding the xr21t.