Alloy Race Wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

thedonnydino

by thedonnydino

Hi all,

I have a nice set of CK R45's on ENVE wheels that I would like relaced to alloy wheels for my titanium bike.

I would like to use this bike for road races on dead country roads and long rides.

Accordingly, I would like a nice, light clincher wheelset that is durable, and has a wide internal rim width to run low pressures.

Even considering tubeless options.

Some rims that come to mind include HED Belgium +, Easton 90's. Pacenti SL23's also come to mind, but they seem to be touch and go on quality.

Are there any other rims to consider?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mentok

by mentok

What do you weigh?

I wouldn't touch the Pacenti SL23 again, though I'm happily running a Pacenti Forza on the rear which has been good so far.

New Mavic open pros are coming soon. Kinlin XR22 is also worth considering

thedonnydino

by thedonnydino

mentok, I weigh about 75 kilos.

Mindful of the Mavic Open Pros but after the initial announcement everything has gone quiet! I would not mind the non exalith version.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Eastons They are a touch Lighter than the Belgium's, a bit cheaper and a lot stronger than the other rims mentioned, I know a guy who can help :wink:
The new open pros won't work cause they are 24-32h also the tension limits stated for them are not super encouraging

patchsurfer

by patchsurfer

How about the HPlus son Archetypes?

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Campagnolo Scirocco 35mm wheels is ideal race clinchers. Strong, stiff, durable, aero and affordable. C17 (17mm inner) was recently announced http://www.bikerumor.com/2017/05/16/cam ... heelset-qr.

http://www.probikekit.com should have them in stock next week.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

read the posters post much @mpulsiv :shock:

@patchsurfer H plus Sons are ok but not on the same level of durabitly as either the HED Belgium's or the Easton r90sl rims, i thinks the shape and design of the rim bed and the way the spoke holes are designed work as a stress riser for the rim bed and while its not as big of an issue as the pacenti rims they are prone to cracking at the spoke holes

jbaillie

by jbaillie

I've raced on my Belgium C2's (w/ DT Comp spokes & White Ind T11) on occasion and they've been absolutely fine. They're bombproof and comfortable but probably slightly less aero than the Easton R90SL or H+S Archetypes. I've heard some local horror stories about failures of Pacenti and Kinlin rims.

Not yet mentioned: What about Velocity? The new Quill looks like a really nice rim.

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

BDOP Novatec/Kinlin XR31T/Sapim Xray DIY kit for $320 shipped worldwide is tough to beat from a bang:buck ratio if you're able to build your own wheels.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

istigatrice

by istigatrice

The BDOP kits are good bang for buck, but judging by the OP I don't think bang for buck is a huge concern. Also if you've already got CK hubs I wouldn't bother getting novatec hubs. I haven't seen the Easton rims in person, but the Belgium rims look great, really high quality finish and nice shape. The only reason why I would choose this rim over a Belgium or an Easton would be for aero, but know that they won't be as round (you can still build a true wheel with reasonably even tensions though).

If you want something lighter and/or not as wide (18 internal vs 20) I've just built up a set of DT Swiss RR411 rims and initial impressions are good. Slightly lower quality than the Belgium but a little bit better than the H+Son rims. Pricewise, they slot in between them. Actual weight for the front rim was bang on claimed (436g), but the asymmetrical rear was 20g over. Annoyingly supplied with pro-lock nipples but that's an inexpensive thing to substitute.

Another rim to consider would be the A-force. Goes OK in the wind tunnel, I haven't seen too much of this rim so maybe others can comment on quality.
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)