What has happened to pacenti.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Pacenti cycle design website has gone. Is pacenti still in business?

ergott

by ergott

Still kicking. Just updating website.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

whats happened to the open pro :?

ergott

by ergott

ChadMoore was much more active early on. Never heard back to my questions.

ergott wrote:
ChadMoore wrote:
Second, many builders love the eyelets because it makes for easier lacing and spoke tension build up - the nipple turns on stainless steel (stronger + smoother) instead of scratching / having friction from the alloy of the rim.

We are 100% sure that an eyeleted rim is stronger and will last longer than a non-eyeleted rim. You can take that to the bank. There is a reason many other rim makers are not using eyelets. First, it's more expensive. Second, they don't have the technical ability.

Happy to field any comments or questions - thank you!

Thank you for coming here to discuss your new rim. It's definitely an intiguing option.

With regards to eyelets I think some of the information needs clarifying. It is my experience that SS eyelets are better when paired with brass nipples. I have found them to gall alloy nipples to the point they barely turn when up to tension. This is experienced even when using grease in between. I only use brass nipples at this point so it's worth noting that additional weight.

Eyelets are not guaranteed to be 100% stronger. Just look at your current Reflex rim. It's well known that this rim can't take modern tensions (120-130kfg) and even at the recommended tension, they are quite prone to premature cracking. There might be other factors in why they are prone to cracking, but the eyelets do not solve the problem in that case. I think it's safer to say you "can" make a rim stronger with eyelets.

I happen to like some rims with eyelets. Currently my favorite is the DT 440. I think the new Open Pro will be welcome competition to that rim offering a lighter weight (based on what has been quoted) and the Exalith treatment. One advantage that DT has is the assymetrical rear rim. Many current hubs have flange placement that results in pretty low left side tension resulting in a weaker rear wheel. The assymetric spoke holes help alleviate this issue and allows for more hubs to be built into durable wheels.

I appreciate that you are taking the time to study spoke tension and more importantly the rim/tire interface. Many companies do not study this in detail and end up with rims that lose a lot of tension when built up and used with tubeless tires. This drop in tension also greatly diminishes wheel durability. If you can come up with a rim that loses less tension, the recommended tension doesn't need to be as high.

In order to have a rim that will work with the majority of hubs out there it would be important to have a max tension at least 125kgf. For example, a Shimano 9000 hub with the right tension at 125kgf will have a resulting tension on the left side of under 60kgf which is barely acceptable. If your max tension is 110kgf you only end up with about 52kgf which will not hold up well over time. Combine that with a tension drop of about 10-15kgf (relatively conservative number) when a tubeless tire is mounted and you have a really bad setup that will constantly need truing without relying on a locking mechanism on the spoke threads.

NovemberDave

by NovemberDave

Disc and machined sidewall versions of Open Pro will be available in US on July 6. Rim brake will be 24. 28, and 32 drilling. Disc will be 28 and 32. The Exalith version has been cancelled. Our inside rep wasn't able to give me any explanation on that decision. I'm guessing it's because they don't want to cannibalize complete wheel sales, but that's a guess.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Well the exalth version was the whole point of this rim. without it DT Swiss make a nice light rim, Pacenti have the forza, Kinlin have the XR22T which is not much heavier cheaper and performs really well.

Mavic have made a mistake. not too sure If I can be bothered with the new rim now. It is just another rim to add to the large number already on offer.

NovemberDave

by NovemberDave

It will still outsell anything you mention 10 to 1, maybe 20 to 1, just because of their massive distribution reach. And rest assured they're looking to protect built wheel sales. But from your perspective and mine, yes big mistake. And to go murderer's row on your list - DT411 isn't too close to claimed weight, Pacenti has a troubled past lots of people won't touch it, and the XR22T is fine. We'll get some OPs when they're out and see how they do. MSRP for OP is $100, which is equal to DT411, in between Pacenti and Kinlin. It will do just fine is my guess. But I'd rather they did the Exalith.

FWIW the Exalith process (or any of the other names PEO goes by) costs more than the rim does.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

saab2000

by saab2000

I sure hope Pacenti rims stick around. I just got a set of the Forza wheels and really like them. I've got four different Pacenti wheelsets and they're all living up to expectations.

V1 SL23s, V2 SL23s, SL25s and now Forza. All built by professional wheel builders and all still in service with no issues.