Al33 rims by AForce Wheels, actual weight

Everything about building wheels, glueing tubs, etc.
Birdman
Posts: 281
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:03 pm
Location: Chicago, IL, USA

by Birdman

Hi All, these rims finally arrived and they look beautiful! I ordered them through Kickstarter a long while ago, and here they are. These are aluminum rims with ceramic coated brake track.

Actual weight:
24 hole = 501g
28 hole = 499g

Actual internal width, measured at multiple places between the two rims:
19.50 to 19.75 mm

They will be going onto a set of Shimano Dura Ace 9000 hubs.


Reference links:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/af ... cle-wheels
https://www.bikerumor.com/2016/07/26/aforce/



Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
Cervelo R3 MUD ~ viewtopic.php?f=10&t=136544
Specialized Allez Gold ~ viewtopic.php?f=10&t=134419

by Weenie


merlinxlm
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:44 pm

by merlinxlm

Very nice, I look forward to see these completed. What do you think the total weight will be?

bm0p700f
in the industry
Posts: 3553
Joined: Sat May 12, 2012 7:25 pm
Location: Glermsford, Suffolk U.K
Contact:

by bm0p700f

1000g + 370g+ 260g = 1630g

I am sure it will feel solid.

StevenH72
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:17 pm

by StevenH72

Received my wheels (built by DCR), came in at 1,495.6g.

Removing the weight of the hubs (249g Tune Mig Mag), spokes (187g Cx-Ray), tape (30g) and nipples (14g), leaves the rims at approx. 1015.6 or approx. 508g each.

These are the MSW versions, so no extra weight for the ceramic surface. Almost 45g heavier than the advertised 465g. I wasn't expecting this at all, but had hoped the rims might come in at the 480g mark.

I've seen on the kickstarter page it has been explained that due to an issue with the braking surface the solution adds 25g per rim. So the anticipated 465g increases to 490g.... my 508 is within a 5% tolerance level, so I guess not completely unexpected.

1465g (without tape) isn't terrible, but I was expecting lower 1400's.

I'm sure this will make zero difference in the real world, but my inner weenie isn't too chuffed :wink:

Marin
Posts: 2695
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:48 am
Location: Vienna Austria

by Marin

StevenH72 wrote:I'm sure this will make zero difference in the real world, but my inner weenie isn't too chuffed :wink:


Quoting this because I can relate

User avatar
WinterRider
Posts: 337
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:46 pm

by WinterRider

Beautiful rims.. great story.. fresh start up with some new ideas. I'm pulling for young man big time too.

Will it fly? Sadly.. no. 2017 with a 500 gr rim which gains what.. a few watts over the 40 buck Kinlin (?). Who at this purchase point needs a few watts? Almost all of said buyers would gain much on the bike by pushing the feed bag away.. ME.

Course.. I hope my bucket of ice water here motivates some sitting on the fence to buy some. They ain't glue/plastic rims... they are cool... few will own them.. unique. Working on myself too... but I just built two sets after moving others along.

Yet.. the feedbag does give one that U shape just above the belt line.. isn't that the same shape albeit inverse... that rim tops are now being formed to. Wonder if air flow around my love handles is aero? :thumbup:

User avatar
mpulsiv
Posts: 1021
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:17 pm

by mpulsiv

WinterRider wrote:Beautiful rims.. great story.. fresh start up with some new ideas. I'm pulling for young man big time too.

Will it fly? Sadly.. no. 2017 with a 500 gr rim which gains what.. a few watts over the 40 buck Kinlin (?). Who at this purchase point needs a few watts? Almost all of said buyers would gain much on the bike by pushing the feed bag away.. ME.

Course.. I hope my bucket of ice water here motivates some sitting on the fence to buy some. They ain't glue/plastic rims... they are cool... few will own them.. unique. Working on myself too... but I just built two sets after moving others along.

Yet.. the feedbag does give one that U shape just above the belt line.. isn't that the same shape albeit inverse... that rim tops are now being formed to. Wonder if air flow around my love handles is aero? :thumbup:


~500 grams for Al33 is far from light but it was never supposed to me WW rim. The soul purpose of it is to yield every watt of aero.

Kinlin are 480 grams, not much lighter
https://fairwheelbikes.com/kinlin-xr-31 ... -road-rim/
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

RTW
in the industry
Posts: 3189
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:32 pm

by RTW

StevenH72 wrote:.....is within a 5% tolerance level, so I guess not completely unexpected.


Do you apply this to everything? Salary? etc... is so, I have a job for you! :shock: :lol:

User avatar
WinterRider
Posts: 337
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:46 pm

by WinterRider

mpulsiv wrote:
WinterRider wrote:Beautiful rims.. great story.. fresh start up with some new ideas. I'm pulling for young man big time too.

Will it fly? Sadly.. no. 2017 with a 500 gr rim which gains what.. a few watts over the 40 buck Kinlin (?). Who at this purchase point needs a few watts? Almost all of said buyers would gain much on the bike by pushing the feed bag away.. ME.

Course.. I hope my bucket of ice water here motivates some sitting on the fence to buy some. They ain't glue/plastic rims... they are cool... few will own them.. unique. Working on myself too... but I just built two sets after moving others along.

Yet.. the feedbag does give one that U shape just above the belt line.. isn't that the same shape albeit inverse... that rim tops are now being formed to. Wonder if air flow around my love handles is aero? :thumbup:


~500 grams for Al33 is far from light but it was never supposed to me WW rim. The soul purpose of it is to yield every watt of aero.

Kinlin are 480 grams, not much lighter
https://fairwheelbikes.com/kinlin-xr-31 ... -road-rim/


With the plastic glue rims giving much superior aero.. where is the market niche for this hoop? Do a significant number of riders who find value in air-O want less than optimal performance in this component class of checkbook cycling?

I mean my alloy hoop set is 300+ lighter... albeit with far east spoke holders centered in each with same region pop can aluminum rims that cost about what a decent lunch goes for. :smartass: Rotating weight I can SEE is faster.. air-O is more what one THINKS is faster and not real world.. for the vast majority of those powering bicycles.

StevenH72
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:17 pm

by StevenH72

RTW wrote:
StevenH72 wrote:.....is within a 5% tolerance level, so I guess not completely unexpected.


Do you apply this to everything? Salary? etc... is so, I have a job for you! :shock: :lol:


If you'll overpay by 5% I'm in :wink:

But no, of course tolerances aren't always acceptable, but factoring in variables such as extrusion factors during manufacturing, weighing with different scales etc means there is a reasonable possibility of variances between measured product weights.

NovemberDave
Posts: 180
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:42 am
Contact:

by NovemberDave

WinterRider wrote:With the plastic glue rims giving much superior aero.. where is the market niche for this hoop? Do a significant number of riders who find value in air-O want less than optimal performance in this component class of checkbook cycling?

I mean my alloy hoop set is 300+ lighter... albeit with far east spoke holders centered in each with same region pop can aluminum rims that cost about what a decent lunch goes for. :smartass: Rotating weight I can SEE is faster.. air-O is more what one THINKS is faster and not real world.. for the vast majority of those powering bicycles.


Hopefully you define "much superior aero" as somewhere between 0 and 3 watts, because that's what we've learned that they're worth. See this test we did last winter https://novemberbicycles.com/blogs/blog/wind-tunnel-testing-the-al33-xr31tfsw3-and-other-alloys Tour Magazine's test in Issue 8 from 2016 shows a 13w aerodynamic spread between Mavic Ksyrium and (worst in test) and Zipp 404 and DT Swiss 65 (equal best in test). They show a 3w difference between 303 and 404, with 303 being within a watt of Bora 50 and Shimano C50. By extension from our test linked above, that means a 404 gains you 3w over an Al33, and Bora 50 and C50 gain you nothing.

On weight, 500 grams is lighter than a Firecrest 303 or a 404 (don't know about Firestrike, but I think they are also 500g+), and very very competitive with other carbon rims in this depth category. So your rotating weight (which btw isn't nearly the factor you might think it is) should see a benefit to the Al33 over a lot of carbon rims.

Kinlin 31 also proved very good in our aero test, as the 279 did in Tour's test. 31s are not quite 480g, the several dozen we have in stock all hover right around the 500g mark.

There are a bunch of hills to climb for the Al33 - biggest of which is that it's a voice for alloy in a market that pre-supposes that carbon is superior in all regards even when it is demonstrably inferior in some if not all - but they are off to a great start and have been a VERY popular rim for us this year. Except for one customer who didn't like what his scale told him and was unhappy for that, they have been universally loved. "My carbon wheels now collect dust" is the prevalent feedback. Incidentally, most customers have found that Al33s are stiffer than their carbon wheels. They're great rims, and the braking is very nearly as good as with discs, even in the rain.

User avatar
WinterRider
Posts: 337
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:46 pm

by WinterRider

^

I will so much enjoy chowing down on some crow.. glad to hear the positive analysis. I'll have to consider a set.

StevenH72
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:17 pm

by StevenH72

For me, it was the overall package of the AL33 that attracted me to it.

Toroidal shape, alloy (for braking compliance etc.), stiffness, weight, 19.5mm internal width and cost. It ticked a lot of boxes for a good all-round rim. It may not be the lightest or most aero, but as an all-round rim it ticked more boxes for me than most.

robertbb
Posts: 267
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:35 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

by robertbb

Anyone try to (and succeed in) removing the logos without damaging the finish?
It's ALL about the bike.

sbh1973
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:08 am
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

by sbh1973

One could argue that the Al33 is one of the lightest alloy clinchers on the market today - even at 505 grams - when you consider its dimensions, especially depth:

HED Belgium Plus - 465g / 24mm - 19.375g/mm
Pacenti Forza - 475g / 26mm - 18.26g/mm
Flo 30 - 580g / 30mm - 19.33g/mm (probably the closest rim in terms of profile)

AForce Al33 - 500g / 33mm - 15.15g/mm

The prototypes we received last August were indeed an insanely light 465 grams. Frankly, that worried me a little - it seemed way too light for a rim that was 24-26mm wide and 33mm deep. They still held up just fine few thousand miles of testing. But it didn't surprise me when the production rims came in around 500 grams. That was far more credible and confidence inspiring, and yet still, very light given the rim's dimensions. I'm also impressed with the consistency. I've weighed maybe 30 so far and they're all within 5 grams of each other.

by Weenie


Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post