Competitive Cyclist is having Easton EA90 SLX wheel for under $450 shipped

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

stockae92

by stockae92

Competitive Cyclist is having a sales on Easton EA90 SLX wheel for under $450 shipped (some State plus tax)

its 1400g (claimed) for the pair, 17.5mm internal width, tubeless ready. I *think* its 25mm profile.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

are

by are

Holy cow! Too bad I don't need wheels right now.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Thanks for the tip. Picked up a set for the wife.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

EvilEuro

by EvilEuro

There is also a 10% off sale that should automatically propogate into your shopping cart to take the price down to ~$420 USD before shipping and any applicable tax.

It's 25mm deep, 17.5mm internal width, and 22mm external width.

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

Send me a PM if you'd like to pick a set of these up and I can help you get a set out the door with some discounted shipping if you'd like. :)

toshi

by toshi

Can anyone comment on the eyelet design of these rims? Does it indicate the rims are structurally in need of strengthening at the spoke interface? Genuinely curious.

Saw someone leave a review where they said their team was on these and all experiences cracking at the eyelets.

NovemberDave

by NovemberDave

toshi wrote:Can anyone comment on the eyelet design of these rims? Does it indicate the rims are structurally in need of strengthening at the spoke interface? Genuinely curious.

Can't answer this specific question but wanted to clarify that these aren't the R90SL rims. The R90SL rims are wider, have no eyelets, come in a 20h minimum drilling (and 20h is front specific at that), and have been perfect for us and, from what I hear, every other builder too.

waltthizzney

by waltthizzney

these wheels are garbage.... my friends both have pairs and they barely lasted a summer without massive issues.

Fulcrum 3s or Shimano 6800s are MUCH better stock wheels

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

NovemberDave wrote:
toshi wrote:Can anyone comment on the eyelet design of these rims? Does it indicate the rims are structurally in need of strengthening at the spoke interface? Genuinely curious.

Can't answer this specific question but wanted to clarify that these aren't the R90SL rims. The R90SL rims are wider, have no eyelets, come in a 20h minimum drilling (and 20h is front specific at that), and have been perfect for us and, from what I hear, every other builder too.

Indeed the rims on the SLX are lighter and narrower.

waltthizzney wrote:these wheels are garbage.... my friends both have pairs and they barely lasted a summer without massive issues.

What kind of issues? Rim destruction? Hub failure? The limited feedback that can be found seems to be positive. I have had good luck with the EA90 SLX. My wife had the first version which were notorious for broken spokes and some hub issues. She rode them for 10 years @ 200 km per week, with only one cartridge bearing needing to be replaced. Both front and rear hub are still flawless. Never broke a spoke and the wheels never needed truing. Perhaps it all comes down to rider weight - wife is 110 lbs (50 kg).
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

jekyll man

by jekyll man

waltthizzney wrote:these wheels are garbage.... my friends both have pairs and they barely lasted a summer without massive issues.

Fulcrum 3s or Shimano 6800s are MUCH better stock wheels

Neither are much good ime.
Shimano= rims made from chocolate, and easy snap spokes.
Fulcrum R3= self unscrewing nipples so they fall in the rim, and low grade freehub bearings.
Official cafe stop tester

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Easton EA90 SLX are laced with 16 and 21 spokes. Don't expect longevity out of these nor strength. There's nothing specials about these but weight, achieved by low spoke count. These are race wheels, not all-purpose training wheels.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

Asteroid

by Asteroid

Nice price for somebody planning to baby these wheels. My 79kg brother rode for a few months and called them "flexy flyers" due to their lateral flex. He can't speak for the durability - since he unloaded on eBay - but he thought the construction looked solid. He much prefers the Dura Ace 9000 C24 tubeless. Stiffer and faster, although cost him approx. $700.
The similarly stiff RS81 (newest Ultegra level) can be found for about the same price as these Eastons, albeit another 100gr heavier.
Oldbie

metalplease

by metalplease

...the bitter experience of 'cheap for a reason' ?? Thanks for the cautionary comments, guys.

stockae92

by stockae92

I ran my new setup for about 200 miles now and so far so good.

they spin smoothly, feels light(er than my old setup), very little to no flex that I can tell (80kg rider, more of a spinner than a sprinter), the rear hub is on the quiet side. Running SRAM Force 22 rear cassette and the installation is easy and smooth.

btw, these rims are smooth and doesn't need rim tapes, and are tubeless ready. I did run tubes for now. I pair them with 25c Michelin Pro4 Endurance v2. The 25c tires do take a little getting used to coming from 23c tires, sometimes they feel like you are riding with under inflated tires. :p

Still trying out different tire pressure but currently running 93/94 psi f/r. used to be around 100/110 psi on 23c tires.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com