Reynolds strike slg wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Andersge141

by Andersge141

Can't get my Continental Grandprix4000s|| 23 mm tyres on to Reynolds Strike slg wheels

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

calleking

by calleking

Got the same wheels and tyres. Make sure the tyre bead is down in the channel when mounting them as that gives you more room to play around with when mounting the tyres. Start with the opposite side of the valve.
2023 Wilier Rave SLR
2022 Wilier Filante SLR
2021 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 2

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

HELP

I'm trying to move from Reynolds clincher wheelset to Reynolds tubless wheelset using clinchers. I haven't had this much difficulty mounting clinchers since my first flat as a biking neophyte many moons ago. What fcuking nonsense! I'm losing my mind...

I'm used to simply rolling the clincher into place on my 2013-14 Reynolds Attack clinchers (not tubeless ready design) without tire irons. Tonight I've already busted two plastic tire irons with only a single mounted tire to show for it ... and I'll bet you a box of doughnuts that one or both latex tubes have been damaged during the ruckus.

I understad the suggestion to get the mounted bead into the center of the rim for more play when mounting the final bead, but seating the first bead is tough as is. For the record, I'm using Schwalbe One's (23c clincher), which have been my "go to" tires in one form or another for a long time.

As I cool my jets for a bit, what am I doing wrong?
Last edited by Johnny Rad on Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:55 am, edited 3 times in total.

fa63

by fa63

I have read about others having a hard time fitting tires onto the newer Reynolds wheels, so it may not be that you are actually doing something wrong. Maybe order a tire bead jack and try with that? I have the Kool Stop one and it has helped me out a few times. Also, I have found that once the tire is on for a couple rides, it becomes easier to remount, so I wouldn't worry about not being able to change a flat later on.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Didn't know about "tire bead jacks." It's an interesting bit of kit for home, but not out on the road. I sincerely appreciate your post.

<><><><><><><><><><>

As an experiment to see if I could mount a tire without the possibility of a tube in the way, I pulled apart the half-mounted wheel. Even without a tube and carefully attempting to keep the beads in the center of the rim, it was an absolute bear to mount the tire plus it still required the use of a tire iron. (A good part of my frustration is the unfortunate need to use tire irons, which isn't overly conducive to delicate latex tubes.) Grrr.

With that bit of knowledge and my tail firmly between my legs, I gave up on the whole mess and tried removing the tire that I had successfully mounted to no avail while busting my third plastic tire iron. With my last remaining tire iron, I can't get the mounted tire off the wheel.

In a fit of rage (a lot) and an air of calmness (not so much), I've decided these tubeless-ready wheels aren't for me. I can't ride a wheel in which I can't fix a flat. Ugh.

(Time to "phone a friend" - a friend of a friend works at Reynolds and I'm going to see what they suggest. I'm also going to ask if they have any old(er), non-tubeless Attack of Assault clincher rims laying around for a rainy day. I'm crossing my fingers and toes for some new old stock!)
Last edited by Johnny Rad on Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

I bought a handful of replacment tire irons today and gave my 2018 Reynolds Assault wheelset another go.

This time with near room temp tires (versus last night working in the cold, cold garage), I rolled the first bead into place with my thumbs. However, the bead on the other side absolutely required irons and a lot of force. Unsusprisingly in hindsight, warmer tires seem to be more pliable and the irons might be less brittle. Call it a minor victory, but not enough - yet.

With respect to my so-called "source" at Reynolds, I'm also goingto ask them which tires are easier / harder to mount to their new wheels. I'll bet they've got both lists. Here's hoping that I find it actionable with all my quirks (no irons, latex tubes, light tires, etc)...

Thanks for putting up with my midnight rant :oops:

otoman

by otoman

Very interesting! Keep ranting.... I’ve had similar frustrations with a set of tubeless Reynolds Attacks.

Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

jlok

by jlok

Just adding my exp. I have no issue mounting 25c Fusion 5 Performance 11 Storm clincher (not tubeless) on Strike SLG. Plastic lever was used but nothing hassle.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com