Road disc wheels - making the jump, what should I get?

Everything about building wheels, glueing tubs, etc.
gerryc89
Posts: 119
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 10:37 am

by gerryc89

I have just picked up a CAAD12 disc. I'm using mechanical Super Record with TRP brakes.

Since this is my first movement into disc brakes I am unsure of the lay of the land. One of the key advantages of disc brakes for me was the increased tyre width possibilities. I ride mostly in Belgium where cobbles and poor road quality can sometimes be hard to avoid. However, this said, I don't want anything massively heavy and 28mm tyres would probably be the maximum I'd go to. I also know that I want a low profile aluminium rim, but beyond that I am flexible.

I have investigated the multiple different Mavic Ksyrium wheels which are available. I also stumbled across the "Allroad" version which comes with wider tyres and hub body. I've also seen some Fulcrum wheels.

However, since this is a rather different offering to what I'm used to I thought I'd ask for some opinions. I'm open to most things and have a budget of around ~£6/700

Many thanks :)

jeffy
Posts: 1255
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:51 pm

by jeffy

go handbuilt especially for your roads. in my experience alot of factory wheels shirk on spokes for minimal marketing-aimed weight savings sacrificing strength and durability. Pacenti SL25 or similar with spoke count front /rear 24/24 CX Ray on dt240 or dt350 (and would likely be ~1600g for the cheaper 350 option) could be had for your budget and would serve you VERY well. one advantage of the dt hubs is the endcaps are easily switchable (and available) between the various standards and you would not be stranded with QR hubs and a possible future incompatible frame

Seeing as your CAAD12 have QR you could also go for DT "thrubolt" endcaps and skewers which is an interesting (and i found effective) product (basically thru axle style you used in QR dropouts)

i am sure there are others, but i had good experience with this guy

https://www.facebook.com/WheelTec/

Image

jfranci3
Posts: 234
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:21 pm

by jfranci3

For cheaper wheels, I've got a set of Stans Grails 32spoke that I'm happy with. I've used them with 23c, 25c, and 35c tires. I just bought a set of DT Swiss r32 from starbike for road only duty. I'd also look for wheelsets built with the AL33

I think the best bang for the buck/euro are Fulcrum Quattro 40 Carbons, which can had for $800 if you work at it. Low spoke count (21) and the spokes are a PITA to source & replace. Zipp 30s are good option.

Broady
Posts: 266
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:02 pm

by Broady

Hunt are a good shout.

NiFTY
Posts: 1090
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 11:26 pm

by NiFTY

Extra bandages?
Evo 5.02kg SL3 6.77 Slice RS 8.89 viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
Frankie - B
Administrator
Posts: 6608
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2003 8:17 am
Location: Drenthe, Holland

by Frankie - B

damn Nifty, I'm not even sure that that is funny.

Handbuilt wheels are nice, the thrubolts sound good. also, get some nice hand made tires like challenge paris roubaix with latex tubes. Or go the extremely reliable way and get the Schwalbe pro one tubeless if your wheels can handle tubeless. I have to say I'm a big advocate for road tubeless.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'

silvercivic27
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:54 am

by silvercivic27

Hed

User avatar
Frankie - B
Administrator
Posts: 6608
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2003 8:17 am
Location: Drenthe, Holland

by Frankie - B

silvercivic27 wrote:Hed


Can you please elaborate? This is something we can't work with.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'

silvercivic27
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:54 am

by silvercivic27

Frankie - B wrote:
silvercivic27 wrote:Hed


Can you please elaborate? This is something we can't work with.


Hed Ardennes Plus SL Disc Brakes. That's what I would buy if I were in the position of the original poster.

https://www.hedcycling.com/ardennes-plus-sl-disc-brake/

User avatar
Miller
Posts: 1250
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:54 pm
Location: Reading, UK

by Miller

gerryc89 wrote:I have just picked up a CAAD12 disc. I'm using mechanical Super Record with TRP brakes.


Since you're going to be using discs with Campag - good! - why not seek out the new disc version of the Zonda wheelset? Only poss issue I see there could be getting a wheel with Campag spline since I have the impression that the first sets to market are in Shimano spline only.

gerryc89
Posts: 119
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 10:37 am

by gerryc89

Oh wow - I did not know they existed! Frantically google's....
Last edited by Frankie - B on Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: deleted the quote as this is a reply.

gerryc89
Posts: 119
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 10:37 am

by gerryc89

Frankie - B wrote:damn Nifty, I'm not even sure that that is funny.

Handbuilt wheels are nice, the thrubolts sound good. also, get some nice hand made tires like challenge paris roubaix with latex tubes. Or go the extremely reliable way and get the Schwalbe pro one tubeless if your wheels can handle tubeless. I have to say I'm a big advocate for road tubeless.


Thanks Frankie. Could you give me some practical thoughts on road tubeless? I remember 5 years ago installing them in work but I have not been exposed to them since.

gerryc89
Posts: 119
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 10:37 am

by gerryc89

jeffy wrote:go handbuilt especially for your roads. in my experience alot of factory wheels shirk on spokes for minimal marketing-aimed weight savings sacrificing strength and durability. Pacenti SL25 or similar with spoke count front /rear 24/24 CX Ray on dt240 or dt350 (and would likely be ~1600g for the cheaper 350 option) could be had for your budget and would serve you VERY well. one advantage of the dt hubs is the endcaps are easily switchable (and available) between the various standards and you would not be stranded with QR hubs and a possible future incompatible frame

Seeing as your CAAD12 have QR you could also go for DT "thrubolt" endcaps and skewers which is an interesting (and i found effective) product (basically thru axle style you used in QR dropouts)

i am sure there are others, but i had good experience with this guy

https://www.facebook.com/WheelTec/

Image


This is really interesting! I did not know these existed. I very much like this idea and could consider this for any of the different options

NiFTY
Posts: 1090
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 11:26 pm

by NiFTY

Frankie - B wrote:damn Nifty, I'm not even sure that that is funny.

Handbuilt wheels are nice, the thrubolts sound good. also, get some nice hand made tires like challenge paris roubaix with latex tubes. Or go the extremely reliable way and get the Schwalbe pro one tubeless if your wheels can handle tubeless. I have to say I'm a big advocate for road tubeless.


Tongue firmly in cheek due to the hysteria in the pro peloton.
Evo 5.02kg SL3 6.77 Slice RS 8.89 viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
Frankie - B
Administrator
Posts: 6608
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2003 8:17 am
Location: Drenthe, Holland

by Frankie - B

What practical thoughts are you looking for. I can share a wealth of information with you on how to set them up and how they ride, but it before I spill the beans it is easier to know what you are looking for.

@nifty. phew, i'm happy about that. Next time please use an emoticon to point this out. Emotions are so easily lost in written text. Thanks!
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post