CLX32 vs Schmolke 45s

Everything about building wheels, glueing tubs, etc.
russianbear

by russianbear

I've been riding tubulars for the last couple of years and it's time for a clincher wheelset as it makes certain things easier. Both the CLX32 and Schmolke 45s (from FWB) are also comparably light to my Aeolus D5s that I love, alright the clinchers are a little heavier still. Specialized say that the 32s are more aero than their old 40s, which of course they do and have a wider internal width, 19mm. The Schmolkes are 17 internal but deeper. The CLXs have ceramicspeed bearings. What say you guys?

This will be for every day riding and racing. Although I might keep the D5s to race on.

fporter

by fporter

Here's some feedback on the CLX 32 set I got recently, hope it is in time to help w/ your choice. Been out on 3 rides so far, same route, trying to find right air pressure. Route is 35mi out and back w/ 3,500' vert and 8 mountain switchbacks. Bike is Tarmax SL3.

Setup tubeless with 25mm Schwalbe Pro One tires. Before attempting to setup tubeless I inflated the Pro One tires on the CLX wheels with inner tubes and let sit over night. Then tried setting up tubeless, at first with plugs. The plugs are worthless. Using the plugs I couldn't inflate tires with pump, compressor nor CO2. Removed plugs and applied two wraps of tape (Stans front, new Silca platinum tape rear) and could inflate tires with pump (after wrapping w/ tape I had installed tires w/ tubes & inflated to 90 psi & let sit for several hours to press the tape). Tape is 4-5g heavier than plugs. Even if the plugs worked I was concerned how they would treat a tube if I ever had to use a tube out on the road. The disappointing thing about the CLX rim profile are the tubeless bead shelves. When the tires deflate the beads drop off the shelves. Neither of my tubeless mountain wheels (dt swiss and ACE) behave this way.. the bead stays on the shelves and has to be popped off. The bead shelves of NOX and Nextie road rims look better than these Rovals.

The 25mm Pro Ones when inflated are 28.5mm so check your stay clearance. They haven't grown over that past week. Riding I probably weigh 175-180lbs. My last ride the tires were inflated to 80/85psi. Next ride going to drop to 77/82 psi.

Braking with supplied black prince pads is great. Even slightly wet. Smooth and quiet. No lack of power.

Cornering feels really secure with plenty of traction. My prior wheels were Reynolds MV32UL with 25mm Conti 4000sII and light butyl tubes that is only marginally (less than 40g/wheel) heavier. The CLX/Schwalbe setup doesn't feel quite as stable at speed or cornering as the Reynolds/Conti setup. Nothing alarming in any way just noticeable. The CLX/Schwalbe traction is enough better that I felt more confident pushing the corners.

My Reynolds wheels were my only wheels for the past 6 years. They've held up great riding and several airline trips. A freehub bearing gave out but that's cause the freehub was the superlight version with smaller bearings. Installed a standard freehub with larger bearings and haven't had any problems since. Wondering how the CLX bearings will hold up. Specialized says they are Ceramic Speed bearings that'd cost $600 a set!

by Weenie

jlok

by jlok

what fporter says, but I'm not so sure about the comparison of "stability at speed or cornering". I'm using 32/50 combination and love the traction provided by the wide tires and shape. Since the sidewalls are more stout now and the volume are big so less pressure for me. Trying to determine the best compromise of F/R 65/75psi or 70/80psi. I weigh 73kg.

fporter

by fporter

jlok wrote:what fporter says, but I'm not so sure about the comparison of "stability at speed or cornering". I'm using 32/50 combination and love the traction provided by the wide tires and shape. Since the sidewalls are more stout now and the volume are big so less pressure for me. Trying to determine the best compromise of F/R 65/75psi or 70/80psi. I weigh 73kg.

I noticed the CLX/Schwalbe combo was more nervous while riding with my hands off the bars.

The increased traction is very noticeable. Exit speeds from mountain switchbacks i ride commonly have gone up.

Going to 77/82 psi was even better.

jlok, what tires (and size) are you using with your CLX wheels? I'm going to try the 23mm Pro ONE soon as they will likely result in the 26mm tire shape Specialized recommended for the wheel.

russianbear

by russianbear

Just an update, ended up with the 32s mostly because of time constraints. Happy with everything but the braking, which is just ok. Running 23mm GP4ks (actual width almost 26mm) at 85/80psi at 80kg.

nonamed

by nonamed

What is the real weight of clincher Rovals CLX32 ?

fporter

by fporter

My bare wheels were 1286 g.

jlok

by jlok

re fporter:

It's Pro One 25mm tubeless setup, front and rear, blow up to 28.5mm at 70-80psi.

I think the 23mm should provide better aero at the front than 25.

by Weenie

russianbear

by russianbear

nonamed wrote:What is the real weight of clincher Rovals CLX32 ?

Mine were spot on with claimed weight.

Be warned, it comes with the heaviest rim tape in the world at 30g a rim strip. I just used the tubeless valves included with the wheels (just under 10g total for the wheelset) instead, with latex tubes.