bikeradar tests the best aero wheels for tt's

Everything about building wheels, glueing tubs, etc.
LeDuke

by LeDuke

Per Trek, the average yaw angle from their Hawaii measurements was 10.6°.

To that end, Trek designed their bike to perform best between 10 and 12.5° yaw.

From that white paper:

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Marin

by Marin

Thanks for the Whitepaper link, I didn't know that one yet!

Quotes from the very thorough Flo analysis:

"We now know a cyclist spends 80% of their time riding between 0 and 10 degrees of yaw."

AND this is from analyzing 4 Ironman 70.3 courses: Kona, Oceanside, St. George and Silverman.

Google these 4 courses, all are in the desert (no woods, hedges, building or road furniture), 2 are even near the Ocean. Even under these extreme conditions, relatively low yaw is already the norm.

If you ride in moderate climes on the northern hemisphere, you will typically ride in much better shielded conditions with lower absolute wind speed for more of the time and thus encounter even lower yaw. The average for Arizona (also desert!) from the Trek test was 3.6°.

So for me, riding in the fields, woods and hills near Vienna, and in the Alps (mostly forested) it will be even less.

Marin

by Marin

BTW, I agree, if you ride Triathlon near the Ocean, by all means get super tall & wide wheels. Just make sure they handle well in crosswinds!

NovemberDave

by NovemberDave

LeDuke wrote:To that end, Trek designed their bike to perform best between 10 and 12.5° yaw.

I see no evidence of that statement in the Trek white paper. 10.6 is the mean wind angle, but it is by no means the prevalent wind angle. The mode is about 3*.

Ltyarbro42

by Ltyarbro42

Are these numbers correct? They are citing a 40w difference in some cases. That doesn't line up with any other data I have seen.

Essentially, I go from meh to Conti-pro with a set of wheels. Something is way off there.

wingguy

by wingguy

LeDuke wrote:Per Trek, the average yaw angle from their Hawaii measurements was 10.6°.

Well, that was the mean - but it's heavily influenced by small amounts of time at very high yaw angles. The mode (the yaw angle the bike spends most time at) according to their graphs was somewhere well under 5°

To that end, Trek designed their bike to perform best between 10 and 12.5° yaw.

That doesn't really make sense.

duvivr6

by duvivr6

Good Video and even though I feel somewhat of a bias the test seemed good.

The wheels where ranked over all even though in the sense of wind tunnels the open mold wheels where "faster" that some of the wheels ranked higher. I think if they took weight and $$ in account they could have faired better.

Overall hey if you got the $$ to get some Enve's go for it, just not the Zipps haha!