Pillar X-TRA Lite Ti spokes 2.6g/260mm - has anyone tried them?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

I'm using them. Unfortunately I've not built any of my own low spoke count road wheels with them, but given my size I don't think I'd find much issue with them. I'm 135 pounds, and currently have them in a set of mtb wheels (28 hole Enve M60) and a set of bmx wheels (32 hole Velocity A23) Given that they are ti they definitely do best in higher spoke count wheels like those I have them in. I've been using the Mtb set as daily riders for almost 2 years and have absolutely no complaints about the performance. I've lent my bike to others riders up to about 190 pounds and nobody has said that they aren't stiff enough. Granted the M60 is a pretty stout rim which is why I went with the Xtralites in it. I wanted the wider rim of the M60 but also wanted to try and keep the weight down a bit. The biggest problem I find with them is that they are 13g instead of 14g. Some hubs have to have the spoke holes enlarged for the thicker spoke. Also there is nipple compatibility issues with some rims which include their own proprietary nipples like the Enve rims, so you have to source nipples at the same time as the spokes. Then of course there is the cost, those are definitely not an inexpensive spoke.

We did build several sets for customers over the last couple of years that were low spoke count road wheels and we have seen a couple of them end up with a broken spoke, but overall not too bad of an average for such a light spoke.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

This thread is all well and good but where can i buy them from. A web search has brought up nothing not even alibaba has them. Pillar xtra lite ti is whT i want for a dedicated hill climb wheelset.

whosatthewheel

by whosatthewheel

madcow wrote:I'm using them. Unfortunately I've not built any of my own low spoke count road wheels with them, but given my size I don't think I'd find much issue with them. I'm 135 pounds, and currently have them in a set of mtb wheels (28 hole Enve M60) and a set of bmx wheels (32 hole Velocity A23) Given that they are ti they definitely do best in higher spoke count wheels like those I have them in. I've been using the Mtb set as daily riders for almost 2 years and have absolutely no complaints about the performance. I've lent my bike to others riders up to about 190 pounds and nobody has said that they aren't stiff enough. Granted the M60 is a pretty stout rim which is why I went with the Xtralites in it. I wanted the wider rim of the M60 but also wanted to try and keep the weight down a bit. The biggest problem I find with them is that they are 13g instead of 14g. Some hubs have to have the spoke holes enlarged for the thicker spoke. Also there is nipple compatibility issues with some rims which include their own proprietary nipples like the Enve rims, so you have to source nipples at the same time as the spokes. Then of course there is the cost, those are definitely not an inexpensive spoke.

We did build several sets for customers over the last couple of years that were low spoke count road wheels and we have seen a couple of them end up with a broken spoke, but overall not too bad of an average for such a light spoke.

How do you work out the tension for these? Do you have a Pillar tension meter with calibration chart for these spokes?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I have my own calibration jig so i can just work it out.

KMG

by KMG

Does anyone know where I can purchase these spokes?

poynt

by poynt

KMG wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:19 pm
Does anyone know where I can purchase these spokes?
this place has always been the first stop

http://topventurer.imb2b.com/sell/index ... emid=37225

nex

by nex

How much will these run me per spoke?

Wookski

by Wookski

My climbing wheels use Pillar Megalites, AX Lightness 25mm rims and Extralite Cyberhubs. They are ridiculously light at 770g for the set. Performance is fine- no noticeable brake rub when climbing out of the saddle and very predictable steering on fast descents. I weigh 64kg.

mca56

by mca56

by Wookski on Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:13 pm

My climbing wheels use Pillar Megalites, AX Lightness 25mm rims and Extralite Cyberhubs. They are ridiculously light at 770g for the set. Performance is fine- no noticeable brake rub when climbing out of the saddle and very predictable steering on fast descents. I weigh 64kg.

Where did you source the rims and/or have these wheels built? I can only find the AX rims already built up by AX or Extralite

nex

by nex

mca56 wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:12 pm
by Wookski on Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:13 pm

Where did you source the rims and/or have these wheels built? I can only find the AX rims already built up by AX or Extralite
https://www.extralite.com/Products/Carb ... 20A25T.htm
Extralite seems to build them with the Pillar Megalite SS.

EDIT: Anyone have any nipple recommendations?

poynt

by poynt

nex wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:33 pm
How much will these run me per spoke?
I think the last time (more than a yr ago) I enquired they were about $5 or €4 so comparable to Sapims and DT top spokes. It seems that a lot of people mix them with the SS to reduce flex.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

$5.91 was the price i got. niples are extra.

Do i really need to make the compromise in wheel stiff and spoke longevity though.

nex

by nex

Any FG 2.6 / 13G alloy nipple recommendations? I can't really find much selection anywhere online.

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

nex wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:35 am
Any FG 2.6 / 13G alloy nipple recommendations? I can't really find much selection anywhere online.
After some research, I think the best bet would be Pillar DSN 13g and Pillar 5G 13g nipples. I couldn't find any non-Pillar aluminium nipples at all.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

Bumping this old thread. Anyone been building and/or riding these spokes during the last year? Was going to build with Berd PolyLight but at seemingly no weight savings whatsoever I'm having second thoughts…

Any trustworthy retailers where one can buy Pillar spokes? Been looking around but have really only seen them at Fairwheel, but since I am located in Europe I'd prefer something within the EU or should the pricing be significantly better directly from China.