Pillar X-TRA Lite Ti spokes 2.6g/260mm - has anyone tried them?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

alcatraz

by alcatraz

I'm in China and I can't get a hold of them. They're made in Taiwan and possibly to order.

I think only by contacting taiwanese spoke sellers on ebay would you have any luck in obtaining them.

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

MayhemSWE wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:21 pm
Bumping this old thread. Anyone been building and/or riding these spokes during the last year?
My disc road bike wheels have been fine, laced last year to Extralites/LightBicycle and no problems ever since. But I'm rather skinny at 65kg/185cm and low power. I'd PM @poynt if he doesn't reply to this thread, he was at "spoke length calculation" stage back in February and might have already built a wheelset.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

One reason I made the switch to Berd was for its strength. I saved only 1g per spoke from. My previous wheel build but the spokes were breaking easily while JRA.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

Looks like I did manage an embarrassing screwup in my weight calculation, so should still save some weight with Berd spokes. Think I will go with them afterall since the X-TRA Lite Ti seems fiddly to build with (too big for some spoke holes, special nipples, low fatigue life). May still try to the Mega Lite SS for some future build.

If anyone is interested, I did eventually find Vaxes Bike, an online store based in Taiwan selling Pillar spokes. No idea how reputable they are but they do accept payments through PayPal which should at least lower the risk of ordering somewhat.

http://www.vaxesbike.com/product/pillar ... a-lite-ti/

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

MayhemSWE wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:09 am
If anyone is interested, I did eventually find Vaxes Bike, an online store based in Taiwan selling Pillar spokes. No idea how reputable they are but they do accept payments through PayPal which should at least lower the risk of ordering somewhat.
That's pretty much it, FWB and Vaxes/Top Venturer (same entity). I had very positive experience with them.

poynt

by poynt

Sorry only just received spokes and sent off wheels to get built. End of next week I may be able to respond.
weight wise they came in pretty accurate, just a shame the nipples are heavy 0.4g and of such limited choice size and maunfactures wise. They are comparible weight wise to the Berds by the time you add in all the extra little bits and pieces needed witht the Berds. I like Klaster1 am small and lightweight and I prefered the look and easier build over the Berds for this build at least.
I got my spokes from Topventure at the Vaxes reduced price $7.50, so I think similar to what Klaster paid. Didn't appreciate the Paypal fee and the steep shipping charges though.
278mm and 266mm spokes.
Image Image

tanbrett87

by tanbrett87

Kayrehn wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:25 am
One reason I made the switch to Berd was for its strength. I saved only 1g per spoke from. My previous wheel build but the spokes were breaking easily while JRA.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Mind if I ask what your long term thoughts and experiences have been with the Berd Spokes?
@tanbrett87
2016 S-Works Tarmac
2019 Felt IA2 Disc
2019 Cannondale SystemSix HI-MOD (building)