Disc brake wheelset decision: Enve SES 3.4 4.5AR 5.6

Everything about building wheels, glueing tubs, etc.
cwcheung

by cwcheung

jlok wrote: ↑
Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:00 am
Mine will come two mths later from PWB.
Wow. 2 months. How much and what config?
Speedvagen

by Weenie

jlok

by jlok

PWB says Enve is producing this on-demand that takes 3 weeks, plus another 2 weeks of wheel building and finally 2-3 weeks shipping.

CX-Ray and Industry 9 Torch hubs in anodized orange. Been using WhiteInd CLD with good faith but I like the color of I9 Torch. Good luck to me.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Silvera4

by Silvera4

Bordcla wrote: ↑
Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:23 pm
Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:06 am
Thanks Bordcla, how about the tire pressure for that measurement?
I run anywhere from 55 psi to 65 and haven't noticed a difference in tire width or height. Even at max recommended pressure of 80 psi (only to properly seat the tire at installation; I would never run them anywhere close to that hard!), I did not notice a difference in size.
What size tubes are you using and how long are the stems. Are you using valve extenders?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

A bit late to this conversation, but tire pressure always affects the measured width/height (volume) of my tires. I'd say in most cases every 20psi jump between 60-80-100psi corresponds to ~0.3mm increase for most 25mm or 28mm tires.

Regarding ENVE rim availability and custom wheelbuilders like PWB, the lead times are indeed incredibly bad at times. When I ordered a crash replacement front 5.6 Disc rim-only, it took about 3 weeks before it shipped direct from ENVE. In all cases I believe whatever decals you choose are put on at ENVE and not at the custom wheelbuilder.

jlok

by jlok

Finally got to ride my new wheelset.

Front / Rear weight = 710/865g both with tubeless valve and rim tape x1 layer. 24-spoke 1:1 lacing with I9 Torch Classic disc hubs and CX-Ray spokes.

Front

Rear

Two samples of Hutchinson Fusion 5 Performance TLR 11storm 28c. Much lighter than anticipated.
Image Image

Built by PWB

With the depth this wheelset is obviously more for flat/rolling terrains. However some power figures suggest that the climbing performance (30min climb @9% avg grade) is similar to SES 3.4 Gen 1 with latex tubes and Corsa G+ 25c.

For daily rides I use F/R 50/55 psi tire pressure; I think I can tolerate harsh feeling of 55/60 psi when the road surface is really smooth. Grip is great with that tires and pressure. Bigger tires also mean more trail and hence a bit more stability geometry-wise. Fast descending is a joy.

There are only 2.5-3mm tire clearance at the chainstay on Propel Adv SL Disc.

I'm still contemplating the use of Pro One 25C on this wheelset. Take a look into the measurements below.

Fusion 5 Perf TLR case width around 69mm; tread ard 25mm

Pro One 25c case width ard... 68mm; tread ard 29mm
Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

moyboy

by moyboy

I went from a 4.5 AR to a set of 3.4 Disc and 5.6 Disc depending on the situation.

Bordcla

by Bordcla

Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:59 am
Finally got to ride my new wheelset.

Front / Rear weight = 710/865g both with tubeless valve and rim tape x1 layer. 24-spoke 1:1 lacing with I9 Torch Classic disc hubs and CX-Ray spokes.

Front

Rear

Two samples of Hutchinson Fusion 5 Performance TLR 11storm 28c. Much lighter than anticipated.
Image Image

Built by PWB

With the depth this wheelset is obviously more for flat/rolling terrains. However some power figures suggest that the climbing performance (30min climb @9% avg grade) is similar to SES 3.4 Gen 1 with latex tubes and Corsa G+ 25c.

For daily rides I use F/R 50/55 psi tire pressure; I think I can tolerate harsh feeling of 55/60 psi when the road surface is really smooth. Grip is great with that tires and pressure. Bigger tires also mean more trail and hence a bit more stability geometry-wise. Fast descending is a joy.

There are only 2.5-3mm tire clearance at the chainstay on Propel Adv SL Disc.

I'm still contemplating the use of Pro One 25C on this wheelset. Take a look into the measurements below.

Fusion 5 Perf TLR case width around 69mm; tread ard 25mm

Pro One 25c case width ard... 68mm; tread ard 29mm
I don't think you could run the 25c Pro Ones on that wheelset. Just the 28c. Check with Enve Customer Service first!