Hub choice for winter bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

Hi all, just wanting some opinions on hubs here. I'm building a new set of wheels for my winter bike (non-disc), most likely using HED Belgium + rims, 24/28, DT 14/15/14. Trying to narrow down my hub choice, the bike sees a lot of wet weather (PNW). Leaning towards a loose-ball hub like Dura-Ace, also a plus with the Ti freehub body. I've owned Chris King R45 wheels (10spd driveshell era), and honestly I was not too impressed with their wet weather resistance. I also have some DT240S hubs on Enve 3.4 but those wheels don't see any wet weather. What has the general experience with DT240S in the wet been for most users? Also, I like the look of the White Industries T11, again with a Ti freehub but I have not idea how they hold up in wet weather.

Everything in my head says just use DA 9000 hubs for the ease of service, but then I try to talk myself out of it. Thoughts?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RussellS

by RussellS

I use Campagnolo and Shimano cup and cone hubs on most of my bikes. They are easy to service and regrease and adjust. And last forever. If you are not counting grams, go for what works.

joejack951

by joejack951

Not a hub you asked about but my commuter wheels were built with American Classic hubs, a Disc 130 up front, and RD205 in back. Those hubs still spin as good as day one after 25,000 miles with a lot of that in the rain and a good bit on salted/brined roads (I used to commute every day, weather be damned). I don't think the cartridge bearings in the hubs are anything special but the outer seal arrangement AC uses sure seems to work well. The steel-faced aluminum freehub body solves any cassette notching issues.

Multebear

by Multebear

I have both DT and DA on different alloy training clinchers both in 28/24 config. I'd definitely choose DA over DT. Both are premium hubs, but every now and again you need to replace the free hub body on the DT's due to bitemarks from cassette. According to the more experienced wheelbuilders in here, the bracing angle is poorer on the DT's as well. The DT's are around 30 grams lighter though.

That said, I don't understand why you want premium components for a bad weather/winter training setup. Us northern europeans are very used to 6 months of crap weather during the year, as I reckon you Canadians are as well. And if there's one truth about bad weather riding, it's that you don't want to bring out your high end gear. Those will be 1k $ wheels, and they will not have a very long lifespan in rainy conditions. You might get away with choosing DA hubs, because they also are well sealed. But the rims will suffer and wear down quickly.

I don't use mine in deep winter or wet conditions. I've laced them both to DT R460 rims, because the rims are very affordable, and still almost identical to the Belgiums. But in deep winter or wet conditions, I want something way more durable and affordable. Something like Open Pro rims, Archetypes, DP 18 or my personal favorite Mavic A119. The A119 are the most affordable, durable and sturdy rims out there. Mine have just passed the 10.000 km mark with no issues, and they have mostly been ridden in rainy conditions. That's a bargain at $ 20 a rim.

For hubs, I would choose 105 in order to get a steel free hub body, to awoid bitemarks, but still very durable and affordable hubs. I used to use Miche Primato Syntesi hubs, because they will outlive a nuclear war, but their weakness is the soft aluminum used for the free hub body. And the 105 hub is cheaper than a new free hub body for the Miche.

So my go to wheels at the moment are Mavic A119 laced to Miche Primato Syntesi hubs, but wheen those rims are worn, I will rebuild with 105 rear. The Miche at the front might stay.

jekyll man

by jekyll man

As Multebear says, don't waste money on crap weather components.

Choose lower level hubs (105/ ultegra) if you're on shimano; i doubt DA is any better weatherproofed.
Campag is a bit more difficult; record are a bit expensive imo, so you're looking at aftermarket. Miche or Hope would be my go to's...

Same with rims; i found the hed belgiums to be quick wearing esp for the price.
Official cafe stop tester

F45

by F45

Yeah, I'd go with DA9000 or Ultegra if you are willing to compromise on 32 hole. DA hubs are cheap enough. I've never paid more than $250 for a set though I wait for sales.

Rims though, I'd go with something cheaper. Kinlin XR22T, DT 460, WTB DX23 is on sale now for $20.

I would prefer 6800 to 5800 rear hubs. I own both. 6800 has cone adjustment with the fingers and it's only like $20 more. But again 32 hole only. Super lame on Shimano's part, they must be circling the drain.

davidalone

by davidalone

Miche hubs. Either primatos or racing bo ( the difference is the finish). Inexpensive, good bearings with decent seals, and a look good. a little heavy, but they are for a winter bike after all.

mattr

by mattr

Dunno if it's still the case, but DA used to use a less complete seal than hubs lower in the range. To reduce drag.
Ultegra was always the "best" choice.

Once you've stripped, filled and readjusted of course. The stock fill isn't 100% up to *proper* winter use if you are planning several years of use.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I race of miche primato hubs. They are great hubs for all year round. I have spent silly money on various hubs and i have found none of them better at being hubs than the miche simlly because they are cheap and reliable. All the other hubs i have are expensive and reliable.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Multebear

by Multebear

bm0p700f wrote:I race of miche primato hubs. They are great hubs for all year round. I have spent silly money on various hubs and i have found none of them better at being hubs than the miche simlly because they are cheap and reliable. All the other hubs i have are expensive and reliable.

Multebear wrote:
I used to use Miche Primato Syntesi hubs, because they will outlive a nuclear war, but their weakness is the soft aluminum used for the free hub body. And the 105 hub is cheaper than a new free hub body for the Miche.

TonyM

by TonyM

I am also looking at the best hubs for rainy condition (I just moved to West Canada and the winter is quite rainy over here).
But as I will use my "rain bike" for at least 6 months per year (winter anyway and all rainy days in the summer) I want to have something nice, so no 105 etc...My choice will most probably be the Rival CLX40 (DT240), the Enve SES 3.4 (DT240) or the Shimano DA C40 or C60 (DA 9100)

What would be the better choice in terms of durability in the rain of the hubs (I will have disc brake)? Dura Ace 9100 or DT 240?
I mean which one has the better seals or can be serviced more easily ?

TwiggyTN

by TwiggyTN

I have DT240 hubs that all they see is rain. Been probably 3 years since they got demoted to rain bike duty after a couple years on the primary whip. Still spin like the day I got them.....

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Asteroid

by Asteroid

It takes me about one hour to thoroughly clean and repack my 9000 rear.
I perform this task about every 8,000km, but rarely ride this Dura Ace wheelset on wet roads.
(The front wheel gets a rebuild every 16,000km.)
Very high quality races, cones, and seals. Moisture looks like it could still get in there.

My rainbike sees about 1,000km per year. It's got relatively crappy $150 wheels - Shimano RS31's - with good tires.
No sense in going any faster than I need to in the rain! :D
Overall, my strategy is to rebuild annually (haven't done it this season yet!) and scrap 'em when they're a goner.
Oldbie

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com