Cannondale Hollowgram carbon wheels (rim brake version) - weight and details

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nemeseri

by nemeseri

Recently I bought a 2017 Supersix Evo Himod Dura Ace 2 bike. It comes with a set of hollowgram branded wheels. There is very limited info about them, so I thought this might be useful for others.

Detailed info:
35mm deep
24mm outer width
17mm internal width
Hub / rim / qr all branded as hollowgram

Weights:
Inner tube - Kenda 23/25 - 95g
Tire - Schwalbe One 25mm - 239g
QR - 68g / 72g (front / rear)
Front Wheel - 675g*
Rear Wheel - 848g*

* rim strips included

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

The rims look a lot like DT Swiss rims. Similar finish, one drain hole and also built with internal spoke nipples... They could be manufactured by the same company (no idea if DT makes their rims themselves) but it's just a guess... and I doubt the hubs are using DT Swiss internals, if they were I think they would mention it like they do on the Hollowgram SL Disc version.

What type of rim strips do they come with?

I'm also getting a bike that comes with them this week (hopefully) but I'm not decided about the wheels so I'll probably use them to start with.

F45

by F45

The hubs look familiar but I can't put my finger on it...

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

F45 wrote:The hubs look familiar but I can't put my finger on it...

The front one reminds me of old Hed hubs...

grover

by grover

I have these in the Disc version from my 2017 SuperX. The hubs are by Formula, the rims by Notubes. They came taped with Notubes yellow tubeless tape.

ianeire

by ianeire

Can these wheels be bought seperately anywhere? I can't seem to find anywhere selling them apart from they being supplied as part of a full bike.

wingguy

by wingguy

ianeire wrote:Can these wheels be bought seperately anywhere? I can't seem to find anywhere selling them apart from they being supplied as part of a full bike.

They being sold seperately, they're just not out in the wild yet. Cannondale are currently showing early march for first shipments.

I'd imagine that all production before then is slated for complete bike builds.

sanrensho

by sanrensho

The front hub definitely looks like the Formula hub I have. Fantastic hubset too.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Sacke

by Sacke

Dan and nemeses,

What are your first impressions of the wheels? Worth keeping?

I sold my bike today, and one of the alternatives for a new one is the SS Evo DA 2 model. (rim brake)

Wondering if I should negotiate a discount to buy the bike without the wheels.

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

Given I'm covered with snow and it's -15° these days, I have yet to try them apart from a few minutes on rollers, which doesn't allow me to judge a wheelset obviously. It might be a while until I test them too.

All I can say for now is they look good and well built, tension seems good and balanced but the rim well is not deep so tires are hard to mount, definitely not a wheelset I'd leave with without tire levers.

riqpaq

by riqpaq

I have tried to find more information on the wheels as well, however Internet does not offer much. The only thing I know is at least the rims are produced by Stan's NoTubes. Simply the rims state 'licensed by Stan's NoTubes' on the newer versions. The spokes are DT Swiss, so it still seems Cannondale is building the wheels themselves from different components.

Wheels can be ordered separately at € 1800,= as I was told by my local dealer...

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

The disc versions are available here in the UK but can't find the rim break ones:

Cannondale Hollowgram SI Disc Road Wheelset

http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/component ... 0wodRp8KPA

Features:
Full carbon rim - long sheet carbon construction
Disc specific
Rim Depth: 35mm
Rim Width: 19mm internal, 25mm external
Hubs: HollowGram custome, 39t/3-pawl freehub for fast engagement, sealed precision bearings, centre lock disc - 9mm and 12mm thru axle compatible
DT Aerolite bladed spokes - 24 front (radial/2cross), 28 rear (2cross)
Alloy nipples
Approx. Weight: 1446 grams/set

Cannondale Hollowgram SL Disc Road Wheelset

http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/component ... 0wodlo8PSA

Features:
Full carbon rim - long sheet carbon construction
Disc specific
Tubeless compatible
Rim Depth: 35mm
Rim Width: 19mm internal, 25mm external
Hubs: DT Swiss 240 rear, HollowGram custom front, Centre lock disc - 9mm and 12mm thru axle compatible
DT Aerolite bladed spokes - 24 front (radial/2cross), 28 rear (2cross)
Alloy nipples
Weight: 1417 grams/set
Last edited by ryanw on Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

riqpaq wrote:I have tried to find more information on the wheels as well, however Internet does not offer much. The only thing I know is at least the rims are produced by Stan's NoTubes. Simply the rims state 'licensed by Stan's NoTubes' on the newer versions. The spokes are DT Swiss, so it still seems Cannondale is building the wheels themselves from different components.

Wheels can be ordered separately at € 1800,= as I was told by my local dealer...

You are talking about the disc version that has rims made by NoTubes, not the rim brake version, they are both 35mm tall carbon clinchers but that's pretty much it, completely different wheelsets although hubs are both made by Formula...

The rim brake version has rims that were designed by Cannondale and they are manufactured for them in Taiwan by... Cannondale didn't want to share that with me although reading between the lines, I think I know who...

bobl

by bobl

I purchased the SuperSix HiMod Evo DA 2 in October. Great bike for me. But I, like many of you, want to know more about the wheelset. Thank you all for the information. I am curious who the rim builder is in Taiwan. That would be nice to know. Also, are you all confident that the hubs are supplied by Formula? Frankly, I feel that the engagement is slower than expected for a bike of this caliber. That is the reason I am contemplating purchasing a set of Mavic Cosmic Carbon Pro SLC wheels. The 2017 version looks very nice but I am have read that the braking is strong but the surface is quite abrasive and wears the pads quickly.

Your thoughts?

nemeseri

by nemeseri

Sacke wrote:Dan and nemeses,

What are your first impressions of the wheels? Worth keeping?

I sold my bike today, and one of the alternatives for a new one is the SS Evo DA 2 model. (rim brake)

Wondering if I should negotiate a discount to buy the bike without the wheels.

I've never tried them and sold them instantly. I'm sure they are ok, but I only trust carbon clinchers if they pass tour magazine's carbon clincher brake test. For training and general riding, an alloy clincher offers better braking and comparable weight. For racing it won't mach the performance of a high-end carbon wheelset... So I had no reason to keep them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com