Tune skyline vs ax lightness ultra 25t

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mitchmarket

by mitchmarket

I've got a new set of the Tune Skyline wheels hanging in my garage that I'm selling. Let me know if you're interested. $1600.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

coloclimber

by coloclimber

I've been so tempted by these 880 gr Skylines from Emonda SLRs that I am seeing for sale but seeing this thread sobered me up quickly.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141304&start=135
I value my dental work.
-Deacon Doctor Colorado Slim

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Just an update on the ax. Loving them. Best braking (with canpy carbon pads on ee brakes) out of all my carbon wheelsets (meilenstein, xentis, roval, reynolds aero) and really stiff. Plus they look awesome.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RuiTerrinha

by RuiTerrinha

Hi everyone, I am a avid cyclist and I am currently considering doing some upgrades to my bike, one of them is wheels and I am considering investing in Ax-Lightness Ultra 25T wheelset.

I would like to ask for those that bough this wheels, what is your opinion of them. My main concern is that I am a climber, and where I live (Geneva) we are lucky enough to have long and steep mountains, however, going up also means coming down, so, I would like to hear from you if this wheels do flex, are they as stiff as advertized? do they break well?
Do they last? in the end, are they worth it?

Thank you in advance for your time in replying.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Lightweight wheels will not make you any faster so value is highly subjective. But yes braking is good. I have smashed some giant potholes and mine are dint free and true. They are stiff. I am 69-72kg and can't make em rub brake blocks and i run my blocks close. I am a big fan.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

vamoots58

by vamoots58

UpFromOne wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:20 am
mrlobber wrote:
UpFromOne wrote:My personal wheels are AX 25T Ultra rims built onto Extralite 24h disc hubs with modified axles. CX-Ray all around on the rear, but only on the disc side of the front, with the thinner Superspokes on the non-disc side (radial) to balance the tensions.
Front disc wheel is 380g., but never measured the rear, as it was glued and installed right off the stand.
Who built these for you? Did you obtain the components separately yourself?
I'm a builder from way back. All my own modified parts & designs. So my wheels, personal and for clients, are usually one-offs.
The AX rims are a solid 2nd choice on my list of best rims in the world.

Begs the next question of "...what are your first choice on the list of best rims in the world??"

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

vamoots58 wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:48 pm
UpFromOne wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:20 am
mrlobber wrote:
UpFromOne wrote:My personal wheels are AX 25T Ultra rims built onto Extralite 24h disc hubs with modified axles. CX-Ray all around on the rear, but only on the disc side of the front, with the thinner Superspokes on the non-disc side (radial) to balance the tensions.
Front disc wheel is 380g., but never measured the rear, as it was glued and installed right off the stand.
Who built these for you? Did you obtain the components separately yourself?
I'm a builder from way back. All my own modified parts & designs. So my wheels, personal and for clients, are usually one-offs.
The AX rims are a solid 2nd choice on my list of best rims in the world.
Begs the next question of "...what are your first choice on the list of best rims in the world??"
Now that 77 Composites has wound down production (http://shop.77cycling.com/en/), AX Ultra25T rims are the lightest, being under 200g.

FWIW, tonight I just finished another AX 25T front disc wheel, 24h, this one coming in at 375g.
Notice anything interesting? Hint: look at the valve hole photo.
Attachments
AXL.Disc2.Front.top.jpg
AXL.Disc2.Front.valvehole.jpg
AXL.Disc2.Front.scale.jpg

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

And here's the rear of this disc set, with a custom 10x135 thru-axle on the Extralite.
This one at 465g., for a total set weight of 840g.
Attachments
AXL.Disc2.Rear.top.jpg
AXL.Disc2.Rear.scale.jpg

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Nice, I want these wheels as well :thumbup:

How do they ride?
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

Vuong05

by Vuong05

Man, the wheels look so good. If anyone has a set of Ultra 25t they're selling, let me know.
Current Stable. Evo (Storm Trooper) : 5.39kg | Alchemy Eros : Heavy (7.25kg) I Specialized Allez Sprint 2022 : Heavy (7.62kg)

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Their acceleration is psychotic. Nothing like an 800 gram pair of wheels (or lighter).
Since I climb the national park roads next door, with a superlight wheel you don't tend to get your cadence bogged down on steeper ramps because it's so easy to make minor speed changes. You still have to push the watts obviously, but IMO it's not as easy to get stuck in a low cadence.
As far as descending, I'm not a fast downhiller, I just do it to get home. But the wheels track just fine.

As far as the market for AX 25T wheels, usually those rims are also found on the newer Tune Skylight series, or the Extralight CarboClimb series (their CyberClimbs are the older 24T rims). There might be other wheel makers who offer them as well.
But AX brand 25T wheels on the used market is pretty much nonexistent. You have to find a dealer who will discount them from the MSRP.

SSDaytona

by SSDaytona

Looking at a set of Tune Skyline wheelset that originally came on the Trek Emonda SLR10. New, old stock as they have never been ridden. These would go on my SuperSix EVO for hill climb specific events only. I am right at 64kg and have read this post end-to-end. Are the Tunes really not a good option as compared to others, like the Extralights Carboclimb? I have a buddy here that bought the SLR10 in 2015 and loves these wheels. Thoughts?

petromyzon

by petromyzon

Have 77 composites completely ceased production? I thought the 25T was entirely 77C-produced, no?

SSDaytona

by SSDaytona

I have seen some of the Skyliners rims made by C77 and some that are not. Seems like the older wheelsets came with the C77 rims.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

okashira

by okashira

UpFromOne wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:20 pm
Their acceleration is psychotic. Nothing like an 800 gram pair of wheels (or lighter).
Since I climb the national park roads next door, with a superlight wheel you don't tend to get your cadence bogged down on steeper ramps because it's so easy to make minor speed changes. You still have to push the watts obviously, but IMO it's not as easy to get stuck in a low cadence.
As far as descending, I'm not a fast downhiller, I just do it to get home. But the wheels track just fine.

As far as the market for AX 25T wheels, usually those rims are also found on the newer Tune Skylight series, or the Extralight CarboClimb series (their CyberClimbs are the older 24T rims). There might be other wheel makers who offer them as well.
But AX brand 25T wheels on the used market is pretty much nonexistent. You have to find a dealer who will discount them from the MSRP.
Did you find a buyer for your extralite hubs?
I'm looking to lace up a set of 25T's as well, I see you're local to me.