Tune skyline vs ax lightness ultra 25t

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

AZR3

by AZR3

I mounted the tires last night and they went on like butter, it wasn't anything like I'd seen on the YouTube vids of people wrestling to mount tires, my 8 year old nephew could easily do it!

Totally spaced looking for tire direction, I'll double check them

beanbiken-I opted for the 3k finish, I would have preferred UD but my saddle and seat post are 3k so figured I'd match them. I'll give mastik one a shot, thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maverick_1

by maverick_1

@AZR3.
Possible to give us a short review/impression on your new AX ultra wheelset?

Cheers

AZR3

by AZR3

When I have them glued up and on my bike I will for sure, been under the weather last few days, hopefully this coming week i can give them a spin

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

My personal wheels are AX 25T Ultra rims built onto Extralite 24h disc hubs with modified axles. CX-Ray all around on the rear, but only on the disc side of the front, with the thinner Superspokes on the non-disc side (radial) to balance the tensions.
Front disc wheel is 380g., but never measured the rear, as it was glued and installed right off the stand.

FWIW, Tune has been known to use lighter spokes in an effort to reduce the advertised weight of their wheels.

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Woo hoo, arrived this morning. Very impressive and hanging out to get them glued up........
BB

Coffee & carbon

AZR3

by AZR3

Sweet, did you get a chance to weigh them? Curious to see how consistent they are

beanbiken

by beanbiken

AZR3 wrote:Sweet, did you get a chance to weigh them? Curious to see how consistent they are

will do so when i get home tonight and report back.......
BB

Coffee & carbon

AZR3

by AZR3

Cool, I'll be glueing up my wheels tomorrow, hopefully getting some miles on them this weekend

beanbiken

by beanbiken

AZR3 wrote:Sweet, did you get a chance to weigh them? Curious to see how consistent they are

Didn't bother with the camera but bare front wheel 349gm, rear 451gm for a neat total of 800gm. How does that compare with your set?
BB

Coffee & carbon

AZR3

by AZR3

Mine were 355g front and 459g rear.......I always end up with the heavier set lol

beanbiken

by beanbiken

AZR3 wrote:Mine were 355g front and 459g rear.......I always end up with the heavier set lol

:D cack...........
BB

Coffee & carbon

mrlobber

by mrlobber

UpFromOne wrote:My personal wheels are AX 25T Ultra rims built onto Extralite 24h disc hubs with modified axles. CX-Ray all around on the rear, but only on the disc side of the front, with the thinner Superspokes on the non-disc side (radial) to balance the tensions.
Front disc wheel is 380g., but never measured the rear, as it was glued and installed right off the stand.

Who built these for you? Did you obtain the components separately yourself?
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

beanbiken

by beanbiken

AZR3 wrote:Post up some pics when you fit them on your F8. At first I wasn't a fan of the F8 but it's grown on me a lot, it's in my top 3 most wanted frames at the moment

Ok, pic attached and a mini review. Current wheels are Corima MCC 47 S+'s with Conti comp tubs 25mm. The AX's have a more refined consistent finsh than any of my other carbon wheels. Could even say like machine made. Ride is smoother, less "buzzie" than with the Corima's but I'm not sure that is the wheels, change of tyres [Vittoria CX tubs 23mm front, 25mm rear] or a combination of both. Left the Corima red cork pads on and braking is excellent, smooth, silent, progressive with great modulation. In the wet I don't know as I try to avoid that :) All in all very happy with the purchase and a net weight reduction including skewers of 400 grams.

BB

Coffee & carbon

AZR3

by AZR3

That's looks great! I got mine all glued up so hopefully Tuesday I can take them out.

What saddle is that?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Hows the stiffness, mine have just shipped from starbike. Very excited. Have some corsa g+ 25mm ready to get glued.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;