Fulcrum Speed 40C vs Racing Zero Carbon?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

island

by island

Probably a stupid question, but here goes...

I have a Supersix Evo HM 2015 that I am slowly building and now need a wheelset.

Initially I was looking at Bora 35's but then bought Dura Ace groupset.

Now I've been waiting for the Fulcrum Speed 40 clinchers to become available.

The initial thought was that the Speed 40C would be a good wheelset for general use but with a slight emphasis on aero.

Now I'm thinking that there might not be much of an aero advantage and perhaps it's better to go for the Fulcrum Racing Zero Carbon. The Zero Carbon's are cheaper than the Speed 40C too... Or to go the other way and get a wheelset with a profile above 50mm?

Racing Zero Carbon - 1358g - 30mm - 24.5mm - 16/21 aluminum
Speed 40 Clincher - 1420g - 40mm - 24.2mm - 16/21 stainless

Are they roughly the same wheel but with a different height profile?

I've been riding Zonda's on a CAAD8 for the last few years.

Would I be better off on the aluminium version of the Racing Zero?
Racing Zero Aluminium - 1440g - 25mm/30mm - 20.5mm - 16/21 aluminium

I looked at the Racing Quattro Carbon but from the reviews it seems that they are nothing special so they are off the list.

I'm 89kg - the bike will be used in fair weather for general use and I'm getting more into sprinting rather than distance. Often just a fast hour ride over flattish terrain with some small hills. I still ride longer distances but at a slower pace and the CAAD8 is fine for that (I do between 400 miles and 650 miles a month).
Guess I'm looking for some speed....

I have also started looking at handbuilt wheels but am not sure about the rim/hub/spoke configurations - will read more...

So I guess the question is: does the Speed 40C have any advantage over the Racing Zero Carbon? Or would I be better looking at high end alloy wheels or higher profile carbon wheels?

Thanks,
Ed

corky

by corky

Aluminium spokes (zero) against steel (speed), aero rim profile(speed) not so aero profile (zero)....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BrunoDMS

by BrunoDMS

What is the most durable of the two?
I've R0 (alloy) and they are granitic, solid and very reliable.
I think zero carbon are the same thing...but the speed40c?
___

Sorry I don't speak English

BrunoDMS

by BrunoDMS

:up:
___

Sorry I don't speak English

asiantrick

by asiantrick

I have both of these wheelsets and they are both incredible in different ways.

Hub: I believe they are both ceramic hub. Speed40 hub is dead silent, where Racing Zero is much louder. Rolling speed are both the same, but on flat Speed40 feels like I can hold the speed easier...aero?

Weight: Racing Zero Carbon is flat out awesome on hills. I haven't climb with the Speed40 yet so I can't vouch for it. I don't think you will be in any disadvantage with the Speed 40 on hills though. It's still a very light set.

Braking: They are both equally SHIT in wet condition, but dry is excellent.

Look: I prefer the Speed40 look wise.

JH1

by JH1

Hi asiantrick,

Thank you for your post. I am in a slight dilemma myself between these two wheel sets (and the cheaper Quattro Carbons with UD carbon lay up and cartridge steel bearings which I understand may be slightly more comfortable?)).

I would be grateful for your view if you have now climbed with the racing 40C's what your comparative view is? I live in Sanremo with mixed flatish coastal but hilly interior. I really need a one set does it all, and also value comfort (I have Mavic Ksyrium Sls which are stiff but seem to transmit quite a lot of road buzz).

Grateful for your views (or any other posters who have some insight in this matter..), thank you.

John

apricotwalnut

by apricotwalnut

i have fulcrum racing zero nite c15 and was using campy zonda c15
and i'm also looking for fulcrum speed 40c and bora one 50 or 35
for more speed for flat and climb.

in my understanding rim height 30~50 it's not big matter for climb. except for ling distance uphill
there will be more benefit kinda keeping speed for flat

that's whyi i off bora one 35 from my list and now compare fulcrum speed 40c and boraone 50.
in case of my cycle type(all rounder), 40c looks fitter than 50. however 50 also not bad ;;;

morrisond

by morrisond

Fulcrum Zero Carbopn's are awesome for acceleration and going uphill. Very snappy - better than 50 Bora Ultra 50's which I have as well.

Rone69

by Rone69

Is there anybody who can add up about the comparison between Zero Carbon vs Speed 40C?

asiantrick

by asiantrick

Rone69 wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:44 pm
Is there anybody who can add up about the comparison between Zero Carbon vs Speed 40C?
They are practically the same, but I prefer the speed 40C. I definitely felt like the 40C can hold speed a bit better than the Zero Carbon. Climbing, 40C is as fast as the Zero carbon.

Titusrider

by Titusrider

Go aero! 40C for me every time

Rone69

by Rone69

Thanxs

is anyone who run these wheels with tubeless setup?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com