preview: Al33 kickstarter launch (new 33mm deep toroidal shaped aluminum rims (465gram) + wheels)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Multebear

by Multebear

Is Pro Wheel builer tho only place, you can buy the rims at the moment?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

justaute

by justaute

Multebear wrote:Is Pro Wheel builer tho only place, you can buy the rims at the moment?
November also has it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

morganb

by morganb

justaute wrote:
Multebear wrote:Is Pro Wheel builer tho only place, you can buy the rims at the moment?
November also has it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I got a set from bikehubstore a month or two ago. They didn't have the ceramic ones (well actually PEO) listed but I emailed them and was able to purchase a set.

StevenH72

by StevenH72

StevenH72 wrote:Just ordered some AL33's yesterday, to be built in West Sussex by DCR Wheels.

I've opted not to go for the ceramic brake track, so mine will be MSW, CX-Ray spokes in a 20:24 lacing with Tune MigMag hubs. Hoping the set will come in around 1,440g if the rims come in at the advertised 470g.

I'm fairly new to cycling and these will replace my Mavic Aksiums approx 1,900g, so hoping to see a noticeable improvement.

Any real world reviews of the rims yet?

Quick update on the above.

Received my wheels, came in at 1,495.6g.

Removing the weight of the hubs (249g), spokes (187g), tape (30g) and nipples (14g), leaves the rims at approx. 1015.6 or approx. 508g each.

These are the MSW versions, so no extra weight for the ceramic surface. Almost 45g heavier than the advertised 465g. I wasn't expecting this at all, but had hoped the rims might come in at the 480g mark.

EDIT: The above is obviously assuming that all other components hit their advertised weights.

nobuseri

by nobuseri

Backer #14. Got my wheels today.

Got two sets, only opened one so far. Build looks great. 20/24 spoke setup, ceramic coating.
680g front
900g rear

Internal brass nipples, and I asked for nipple washers. Will have to check on that when I get a minute
Last edited by nobuseri on Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:28 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Cicli Barco XCr Road
Moots VaMoots
Parlee Z1
SuperX Hi-Mod Disc

twoangstroms

by twoangstroms

I got mine from Prowheelbuilder yesterday -- backer #27. Apparently brake pads and skewers will be sent directly to me eventually. Will try to get my info today (no scale here) and some photos.

twoangstroms

by twoangstroms

Here are the photos. Sorry I didn't have a more precise scale (well, I don't own a scale, so had to do with what a local shop had).

http://twoangstroms.com/twoangstroms/20 ... new-wheels

twoangstroms

by twoangstroms

Here are the photos. Sorry I didn't have a more precise scale (well, I don't own a scale, so had to do with what a local shop had).

Multebear

by Multebear

Any news on availability in EU?

tsutaoka

by tsutaoka

i am in the market for rebuild hoops, would anyone with the ceramic version say that they would only choose this rim over HED, Easton, Pacenti, etc?

all comments are appreciated. thanks!!!

tsutaoka

by tsutaoka

twoangstroms wrote:Here are the photos. Sorry I didn't have a more precise scale (well, I don't own a scale, so had to do with what a local shop had).

they do look good

twoangstroms

by twoangstroms

Come start with us at the Domingo's ride tomorrow morning, Greg, and you'll get to see them in real life!

tsutaoka

by tsutaoka

twoangstroms wrote:Come start with us at the Domingo's ride tomorrow morning, Greg, and you'll get to see them in real life!

missed it Dan/ how did the roll?

twoangstroms

by twoangstroms

Pretty nice! Also, larger tires, but they are more comfortable than my creaky default wheels, seem to be pretty stable and fast-feeling, brake well (no pulsing, only one squeak from fairly new pads), aren’t superlight but light enough, a little more gyroscope feeling in cornering/descending, the hubs roll well though have a bit more lag in engagement than some top-end hubs. With an unscientific heft by hand, they don't feel lighter as set up with tubes than the Mercury M5 carbon wheels, but sure they're less likely to catch sidewinds and worry me.

I bet they’d feel even nicer tubeless.

tsutaoka

by tsutaoka

twoangstroms wrote:Pretty nice! Also, larger tires, but they are more comfortable than my creaky default wheels, seem to be pretty stable and fast-feeling, brake well (no pulsing, only one squeak from fairly new pads), aren’t superlight but light enough, a little more gyroscope feeling in cornering/descending, the hubs roll well though have a bit more lag in engagement than some top-end hubs. With an unscientific heft by hand, they don't feel lighter as set up with tubes than the Mercury M5 carbon wheels, but sure they're less likely to catch sidewinds and worry me.

I bet they’d feel even nicer tubeless.

They sound nice. Thanks Dan.

However I am wondering if they are just cool looking, slightly deeper alloy hoops vs. proven HED vs. Pacenti's. Right now I am leaning towards replacing my SL23s with Pacenti Forzas' unless the forum has collective advise otherwise.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com