preview: Al33 kickstarter launch (new 33mm deep toroidal shaped aluminum rims (465gram) + wheels)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ergott

by ergott

Multebear wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:18 am
Bumping this topic to know, if anyone has some longterm experience with these rims?
I gave my pair to my friend since he needed wheels and they would get more miles that way. They have been running strong and the brake track still looks great.

Multebear

by Multebear

ergott wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:04 pm
I gave my pair to my friend since he needed wheels and they would get more miles that way. They have been running strong and the brake track still looks great.
Great info.Thanks. Were those with ceramic or regular brake track?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ergott

by ergott

ceramic track.

probertsqbe

by probertsqbe

1500 miles on my Aforce rims (non ceramic) with Bitex hubs also built by DCR wheels. Very happy with this wheelset, although I’m fairly light (64kg) so not so hard on wheels and only ridden them in the summer.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Dave provided interesting facts about Al33 (495 grams) vs. Boyd Altamont https://novemberbicycles.com/blogs/blog ... force-al33
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

Multebear

by Multebear

mpulsiv wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:38 pm
Dave provided interesting facts about Al33 (495 grams) vs. Boyd Altamont https://novemberbicycles.com/blogs/blog ... force-al33
Do Boyd provide rims only? And are they available in EU?

coachboyd
in the industry

by coachboyd

Yes and yes
Matc from Wheel Tec in the Netherlands has a big shipment en route right now.

We are also setting up a European warehouse this fall
http://www.boydcycling.com The Handcrafted Revolution

Multebear

by Multebear

coachboyd wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:05 am
Yes and yes
Matc from Wheel Tec in the Netherlands has a big shipment en route right now.

We are also setting up a European warehouse this fall
Sounds really good. Have been looking at the Altamont rim some time now. Is there any info on pricing? Will there be a pricebump due to taxes and importduties?

HeluvaSkier

by HeluvaSkier

I recently built a set of AL33 (ceramic version) with a set of Novatec hubs I had laying around. With Sapim spokes and alloy nipples the build was just over 1500g and stiff/solid... plus they look awesome. From a distance they are almost indistinguishable from my 40mm carbon clinchers. The build quality is top-notch... far better than a set of Kinlin XR-31T rims I also built up this summer (e.g. IMO they worth the premium price over that rim).

I've ridden them in all weather conditions... rode Niagara Falls to New Hampshire over the course of a week this August and they were flawless. A few days we had awful weather (Northeast US... shocker) and I actually think the ceramic surface sheds grit better than a normal rim because the pads wear faster. When everyone else's rims were grinding from road grit mine were silent and smooth and ceramic surface unphased.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another set.

Edit: I have 800 miles of all-weather riding in so far and the cermaic surface barely shows any wear.
Edit 2: Mis-stated the weight... double checked and it is just over 1500...
Last edited by HeluvaSkier on Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Multebear

by Multebear

HeluvaSkier wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:46 am
The build quality is top-notch... far better than a set of Kinlin XR-31T rims I also built up this summer (e.g. IMO they worth the premium price over that rim).
Thanks, that’s good info.

Really torn between these and the Boyd options. I guess it comes down to whichever will be available first. Can’t seem find anyone in EU stocking them.

HeluvaSkier

by HeluvaSkier

Multebear wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:34 am
Really torn between these and the Boyd options. I guess it comes down to whichever will be available first. Can’t seem find anyone in EU stocking them.
Will Bike Hub Store or Glory Cycles ship international for a reasonable price? It might be worth asking... If one says yes, then you've answered which rim to get. BHS for AL33 and GC for Altamont.

Kurets

by Kurets

I'm also considering these, intending to build a pair up to replace my worn out Archetypes. Sure, I would need both new spokes and rims, but I am thinking iy would be worth it as they would serve as a great bad weather wheelset for racing. But, I also have the issue of finding them in the EU...

Sent from my H4113 using Tapatalk

coachboyd
in the industry

by coachboyd

Multebear wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:34 am
HeluvaSkier wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:46 am
The build quality is top-notch... far better than a set of Kinlin XR-31T rims I also built up this summer (e.g. IMO they worth the premium price over that rim).
Thanks, that’s good info.

http://wheel-tec.nl/introductie/

Will have Altamont and Altamont Lites hopefully in about a week. He is also acting as a service center for us in Holland so if anybody in the EU needs repairs it's very convenient.
http://www.boydcycling.com The Handcrafted Revolution