preview: Al33 kickstarter launch (new 33mm deep toroidal shaped aluminum rims (465gram) + wheels)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

glepore

by glepore

nobuseri wrote:Seems that everyone is going the Flash Pro BXP route. Has anyone tried Kool Stop salmon on these coated ones yet?

Not yet, I have a ton of these lying around and am tempted, but the Campy red pads are wearing like iron, so it may be a while.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

justaute

by justaute

As glepore, I'm also using Campy Red.

glepore...where are you in PA? I'm in the Burgh.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shimmeD

by shimmeD

Are these the same Campy Red used on carbon rims?
Less is more.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

justaute

by justaute

Yes. I had a pair sitting around and don't have the Campy wheels anymore.

shimmeD wrote:Are these the same Campy Red used on carbon rims?

glepore

by glepore

justaute wrote:As glepore, I'm also using Campy Red.

glepore...where are you in PA? I'm in the Burgh.

Just south of Allentown. And yes, the carbon rim campy pads for the poster that asked.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

morganb

by morganb

nobuseri wrote:Seems that everyone is going the Flash Pro BXP route. Has anyone tried Kool Stop salmon on these coated ones yet?

I ate through a new set of Salmon's in one ride on the coated track. Recommend against.

nobuseri

by nobuseri

Wow; that soft? Interesting. I have a few sets here. I may give one set a try before I order the BXP. They are just sitting here, anyways.

Thanks for the feedback.

morganb wrote:

I ate through a new set of Salmon's in one ride on the coated track. Recommend against.
Cicli Barco XCr Road
Moots VaMoots
Parlee Z1
SuperX Hi-Mod Disc

glepore

by glepore

Would second that thought. The salmons are a soft pad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

morganb

by morganb

nobuseri wrote:Wow; that soft? Interesting. I have a few sets here. I may give one set a try before I order the BXP. They are just sitting here, anyways.

Thanks for the feedback.

morganb wrote:

Yeah, it was my first ride on the wheels. The wear from the texturing seems to slow down after a few rides but on a brand new rim it will chew through the pads. There was red dust all over my frame and all through my eeBrakes and I was millimeters away from the pad holders even though I was trying to use my brakes as infrequently as possible. Its very hilly where I live and it was a partially urban ride, but I am a pretty aggressive/light on the brakes descender.

antonioiglesius

by antonioiglesius

Maybe a suggestion for the manufacturer is to 'pre-wear' the wheels (e.g. apply fine sandpaper to rotating wheels) at the factory as part of the manufacturing process?

Yes, a part of me is saying, "That's a dumb idea". The black coating will probably wear off quicker...

NoMütze

by NoMütze

another ride report from the high alps area:

after some 100km of initial test&ride of the wheelset, now with Conti GP4000sII plus Latex inner and BXP pads,
i headed to Sölden (tyrol) for a GranFondo with roughly 5500m of ascents/descents on a 230km course.
conditions were dry and partly wet and the wheels performed very well.
braking was crisp and predictable, no pulsing or whatsoever, no creaking,
1/3 of pad was shed and the sidewalls of the tires got a nice shade of blue brake dust...

all in all i am really happy with the aForce wheelset!

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

morganb wrote:

Kool-Stop salmon pad is soft and easy on brake track, hence not recommended for ceramic/textured brake brake. However, they are highly recommended for anodized (e.g. Flo 30 rims) brake track to keep it black for thousands of kilometers/miles.
I have raced and trained for years exclusively on these. They perform better than Dura-Ace pads in dry and wet.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

nobuseri

by nobuseri

First real ride report for me on these wheels. Built by prowheelbuilder for the KS USA backers.

Hubs are soliid; wheels are stiff. Ride very well.
75 miles, 6.2k ft climbing. BXP pads are good and quiet. As mentioned by someone else previously, pads are almost gone. This was the first ride on these pads. I have another set. Let’s see if they wear down as quickly.

I like the wheels a lot. Backer #14; it was a long wait, but outcome is very positive wheel wise.
Cicli Barco XCr Road
Moots VaMoots
Parlee Z1
SuperX Hi-Mod Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

charlieboy52000

by charlieboy52000

The original
Pads that come with the wheels are almost gone. I live in Miami which is flat. Although I m a 200lbs rider I think the pads are wearing too fast.
Which pads will be better for these rims?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk