preview: Al33 kickstarter launch (new 33mm deep toroidal shaped aluminum rims (465gram) + wheels)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

reknop

by reknop

nobuseri wrote:Backer #14. Got my wheels today.

Got two sets, only opened one so far. Build looks great. 20/24 spoke setup, ceramic coating.
680g front
900g rear

Internal brass nipples, and I asked for nipple washers. Will have to check on that when I get a minute

Not very weightweenie, but these rims have certainly my attention to build a good allround training wheel-set. :) :)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://www.cycling-review.net

nobuseri

by nobuseri

Yeah; for training - and even racing, they will be fine. Solid setup. :thumbup:
Cicli Barco XCr Road
Moots VaMoots
Parlee Z1
SuperX Hi-Mod Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Multebear

by Multebear

Where are these rims made?

justaute

by justaute

Taiwan, I believe.

Multebear wrote:Where are these rims made?

justaute

by justaute

Got mine today. Backer #38 in the US.

A couple of backers on Kickstarted posted that their wheels have been laced incorrectly. Based on my understanding, given these rims are off-set drilled, the right-hole should be laced to the left-side of the hub and vice versa; thus, the spokes should have a bit of crossing at near the rim. Is this correct?

Weight of both wheels are 1,599g. No tape and no valve.

Weight of the rear wheel.

Weight of the front wheel.

Lacing. Right-hole to right-side of hub. Left-hole to left-side of hub. Spokes are not crossing at the rim.

NovemberDave

by NovemberDave

The internal drilled ones we've built (which have all been prototypes, samples, etc - we way prefer external nipples) all cross centerline at the rim. Which is not how yours are laced. You can check the tire side of the rim - the spoke's line should continue from the hub all the way out through the spoke loading hole on the outside of the rim.

20/24 sets with Bitex RAF/RAR hubs, CX Rays with CX Sprint on rear drive side, and brass nipples are coming in very consistently at 1570g/set for us. You can get it down to ~1530 with alloy nipples obviously, but I prefer brass despite that.

justaute

by justaute

Thanks for the confirmation, Dave. I sent an email, along with the above photo, to Jan-Willem about the lacing. Was pretty excited about getting them after such a long wait...sigh.

FWIW... I should have gotten the external-drilled rims, but obviously too late now. A bit of brain-fart, I guess. :(

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Garrison

by Garrison

I have mine built up with DA rear 24, Bitex RAF12 front 20, with cx ray, external brass nipples, n nipple washers. Weighs a hair below 1.6kg, w\o tape n skewers.

Rims weight 500g +- each. Got the shop to help seat Schwalbe Pro One 25mm. One rim was difficult to seat, even with shop compressor. I think the central channel is almost too deep, allowing the initial blast of air to escape.

Shop mechanic also commented the bead leaked air then he flexed the tyre at 70 psi, so not recommended to ride at such low pressures. Kinda a bummer if that is true.

NoMütze

by NoMütze

seems that wheels a dropping in from U.S. builders to backers.
just wondering if any europeans received their wheels from the U.K. builder?
and if so how about correct lacing pattern...

still waiting though...backer #48

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

reknop wrote:
nobuseri wrote:Backer #14. Got my wheels today.

Got two sets, only opened one so far. Build looks great. 20/24 spoke setup, ceramic coating.
680g front
900g rear

Internal brass nipples, and I asked for nipple washers. Will have to check on that when I get a minute

Not very weightweenie, but these rims have certainly my attention to build a good allround training wheel-set. :) :)

These were never targeting weight weenies, at 32.5mm deep. It's a solid aero wheelset to give a Zipp 303 run for their money and other carbon wheelsets in this caliber.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

kulivontot

by kulivontot

I mean 303's are 45mm deep, so not really?
Perhaps you meant 202?

NovemberDave

by NovemberDave

kulivontot wrote:I mean 303's are 45mm deep, so not really?
Perhaps you meant 202?

Nope - they compete on even aerodynamic footing with 303s. https://novemberbicycles.com/blogs/blog/wind-tunnel-testing-the-al33-xr31tfsw3-and-other-alloys Obviously they have an enormous cost advantage and they are lighter than a 303 rim.

Depth and aerodynamics don't always correlate. We've seen 80+mm rims that have no better aerodynamics than a 303/Al33, but carry all of the weight and handling downsides of very deep wheels.

justaute

by justaute

Quick update on my wheels. I got a set as a kickstarter backer.

- The front wheel just spins, spins, spins...and spins.
- Taped the wheels and installed tubeless tires (IRC RBCC Formula 28mm) two days ago, without sealant, tires are still inflated. Have yet to check the actual pressure remained, but the hand-squeeze test shows plenty left.
- No problem installing the tubeless tires. Both tires popped onto the beads right away, using a Lezyne Pressure Overdrive pump.

nobuseri

by nobuseri

Seems that everyone is going the Flash Pro BXP route. Has anyone tried Kool Stop salmon on these coated ones yet?
Cicli Barco XCr Road
Moots VaMoots
Parlee Z1
SuperX Hi-Mod Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NoMütze

by NoMütze

update on my wheels:
arrived on 18th of August, with rim tape, criss-cross lacing...all good.
front 700g w/tape
rear 890g w/tape

set up with Schwalbe Pro One 23, tubeless without sealant for the time (maybe change to hutchinson fusion galactic 11storm), no problem and easy installation!
tires measure 26mm on these rims.

rims really looking awesome, nice hubs, will use BXP pads on coated brakesurface...