Light Bicycle or Farsports 38m

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

AJS914

by AJS914

Reviving this topic.

Light Bicycle wheels seem to come out $150-200 per set higher than Farsports with similar hubs/spokes. Are they worth the price premium?

biwa

by biwa

AJS914 wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:15 pm
Reviving this topic.

Light Bicycle wheels seem to come out $150-200 per set higher than Farsports with similar hubs/spokes. Are they worth the price premium?
Interested in this too. Light Bicycle also seems to have upped the prices of their rims, not sure if it is to do with some upgrade in the product or to cover certain raised costs (e.g. US tariff)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

I never found an answer. My impression is that Farsports seems to be the best "name brand" chinese rim if you are on a budget. Yoeleo and Light Bicycle get good comments if you go back and search the forum. They also seem to sell for $150-200 more for a set of wheels. I can't determine if they are any better than Farsports.

Orbital

by Orbital

Interested in this too. Some of these manufacturers reviews in the past were from users who had been given discounts in return for honest in-depth write ups on forums and blogs. It’s a smart way to make a name for yourself by enticing people to initially purchase.

guadzilla

by guadzilla

Bumping this thread up yet again.

I am looking at a pair of inexpensive wheels and trying to decide between Lightbicycle AR56 and Farsports Kaze 58. Both with Novatec hubs. The Farsports is working out to be about $100 cheaper AND I have the choice of white spokes. But that's a fairly significant difference - almost 20% lower.

Makes me wonder if the quality of the LB rim or precision of its manufacturing is better or not. The price difference isnt a factor in my purchase quality - the white spokes would be nice to have, though, but not at the expense of quality.

Any thoughts?

Indyx

by Indyx

I have 2 sets of Farsports wheels purchased with my own money.

1st set: 38mm Classic Tubeless Rim Brake on Carbon TI Hubs: Wheels have been great, solid build after ~3000 miles. Only fault has been the brake track (basalt) is marginal.

2nd set: 45mm Feder Disc on Carbon TI hubs: Just getting ridding on them, so far so good.

Their Disc Feder wheels are super light weight with carbon ti hubs. Based on my experience on 38 Classics, I expect the 45s to continue to be solid.

Contact via email with farsports is very good.

deepakvrao

by deepakvrao

guadzilla wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:48 am
Bumping this thread up yet again.

I am looking at a pair of inexpensive wheels and trying to decide between Lightbicycle AR56 and Farsports Kaze 58. Both with Novatec hubs. The Farsports is working out to be about $100 cheaper AND I have the choice of white spokes. But that's a fairly significant difference - almost 20% lower.

Makes me wonder if the quality of the LB rim or precision of its manufacturing is better or not. The price difference isnt a factor in my purchase quality - the white spokes would be nice to have, though, but not at the expense of quality.

Any thoughts?

Visited their site again, and I remembered what my issue was. I could not find an option for the Kaze 28mm rims with Novatec. They were with more expensive hubs. I guess if I had mailed them they would have quoted, but I was happy with my previous LB wheelset, so just went with them.

Also, for rim brake, I could only find 26mm wide rims. Maybe I am missing something totally.

Or of course, you must have got a 'real' bike with disc brakes? :lol:

guadzilla

by guadzilla

deepakvrao wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:40 pm
Visited their site again, and I remembered what my issue was. I could not find an option for the Kaze 28mm rims with Novatec. They were with more expensive hubs. I guess if I had mailed them they would have quoted, but I was happy with my previous LB wheelset, so just went with them.

Also, for rim brake, I could only find 26mm wide rims. Maybe I am missing something totally.

Or of course, you must have got a 'real' bike with disc brakes? :lol:
Yeah, I had to email them for it too. The Kaze has a bunch of rims in the 26mm OD and a few in the 28mm OD. The LB AR series are mostly 21/28 as well, except the AR56, which is 23/30.

The thing is, I really want a 32mm OD for the gravel bike (yup, "real bike" with disc brakes. You should get the same for your incoming Ti!). I might as well keep the Roval CL50s otherwise.

guadzilla

by guadzilla

Indyx wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:29 pm
1st set: 38mm Classic Tubeless Rim Brake on Carbon TI Hubs: Wheels have been great, solid build after ~3000 miles. Only fault has been the brake track (basalt) is marginal.
2nd set: 45mm Feder Disc on Carbon TI hubs: Just getting ridding on them, so far so good.
Their Disc Feder wheels are super light weight with carbon ti hubs. Based on my experience on 38 Classics, I expect the 45s to continue to be solid.
Thanks! Both LB and Farsports have been very responsive so far, yes. I am looking for a disc brake wheel, so not too fussed about the braking track.

That said, may i ask your weight?

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Yup, if you want the wider 28mm version of the Kaze you have to contact them and ask for it. It does not show up on their web shop.

I have LB on my disc bike, they are perfect. I have a set of rim brake Farsports on their way. Farsport rims test very well in a recent destructive braking test involving many major brands, beaten only by Zipp. LB seems to use the same tech so they could be just as good, but their wheels were not in the test so who knows.

Service was exceptional from both companies. These are very competent people who really care about the customers. A lot of brands could take a lesson from them.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Indyx

by Indyx

guadzilla wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:31 pm
Indyx wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:29 pm
Thanks! Both LB and Farsports have been very responsive so far, yes. I am looking for a disc brake wheel, so not too fussed about the braking track.

That said, may i ask your weight?
I think a hair under 1300 grams for the 45s with Carbon Ti hubs.

If you go to the Farsports webshop and look under the Feder Disc Wheels, it lists all the weighs, for all hubs.

I've found the weight to be pretty accurate.

guadzilla

by guadzilla

^^^ Cheers, thanks. I was actually asking your weight - at 82kg, I am not the lightest of riders, so was wondering if you were also in my weight category or lighter :)

Indyx

by Indyx

guadzilla wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:08 am
^^^ Cheers, thanks. I was actually asking your weight - at 82kg, I am not the lightest of riders, so was wondering if you were also in my weight category or lighter :)
Oh ha! I'm 71 kg, so not quite as heavy. They do list their max weight as 115kg on the website, if my memory serves me correctly.

For my 38s, I've never had to true them. Build quality has been solid.

guadzilla

by guadzilla

Indyx wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:46 pm
Oh ha! I'm 71 kg, so not quite as heavy. They do list their max weight as 115kg on the website, if my memory serves me correctly.
For my 38s, I've never had to true them. Build quality has been solid.
Ah cool. Yes, if they are holding up for you, they should be ok for me too. I will wait to see what pressure rating the new WR65s get - if it is also 60psi max, I will get the Farsports version.

Appreciate your help!

jackie

by jackie

WhatsApp Image 2020-10-04 at 11.45.24 (3).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-10-04 at 11.45.24 (1).jpeg
just wanted to share my latest wheelset from farsport .. this is my 3rd wheelbuild with them in this year so far. the 2 previously had been great..
i had a few LB wheelset too. they been great too. and of cos Enve and Reynolds.
however my new Farsports 35mm rim brake wheelset. kind of leave a bad taste in my mouth
got it ship to me last week. and this is what i notice when i mounted the tyres in. carbon chip off the rim... i would not have notice it if it wasnt for the fact that i cleaning the wheel off the excess glue.. and running my finger over the brake surface. NO ROAD TIME yet..

Wrote to farsport but the reply so far wasnt what i had expected.. .
anyway i had good experience previously with them so this came as a surprise.
Last edited by jackie on Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com