Campagnolo Shamal Mille vs Fulcrum Racing Zero Nite 2016

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

canoas

by canoas

I posted a recent forum regarding deep section wheels, but now I'm after a wheel specifically for the Alps, Dolomites, Pyrenees...anything mountainous on earth!!! After some considerable thought and the past days I have experienced snow at the top of the Gavia in July! Pis...ing rain down the Tourmalet to the point where I was almost closing my eyes and praying what was 50 feet in front of me or the hottest day you could imagine up Ventoux where it felt like a sauna. Now carbon wheels have improved drastically but with above conditions I have experienced, Alloy wheels make sense for safety and all weather mountain rides.

I'm looking at either Campy Shamal Mille or Fulcrum Racing Zero nites. People have complained about the wear of the special Ceramic Plasma Electrolytic oxidation rims both Nites and Shamals coating coming off, but according to my LBS this is because you need to clean the rim and brake pads throughly after each medium/long ride!

Is the only difference between these 2 sets of wheels the 2:1 spoke ratio on the Fulcrum? And does this mean the Fulcrum rear wheel is stiffer when running Campy groupsets like me. I mean logically when you running a Campagnolo groupset you go with Campy wheels cause it just looks right and leave Fulcrum for Sram/Shimano users. It seems I can get the Zero nites for some less money though. I gather everything else is the same, ceramic bearings, carbon hubs, same surface, similar weight and rim width.

Any experience or knowledge between these sets of wheels would be nice feedback.

On a note I've heard both sets have incredible brake power in the dry and wet and are stiff for alloys. :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mimason

by mimason

No chance in convincing you that tubulars are safer if you ever front flat at such high speeds? It kind of sucks flatting on a fast descent at 40+ mph.....been there before but on tubs and I'm still here to talk about it.

They are both 2:1 lacing.
Last edited by mimason on Mon May 09, 2016 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lowside67

by lowside67

First and foremost, I do not own either, but I have been researching them extensively (as well as cross shopping with the Shamal Ultra, Fulcrum Zero, and Dura Ace C24) as I am looking for a new wheelset.

From my understanding, the Mille and Zero Nite are identical save the spokes, exactly as you have suggested. The same is also true with the Ultra and the Zero (non carbon).

I know there is an aesthetic benefit to the all black setups, but I have read extremely mixed reviews of the longevity of that surface coating and have not seen anything that suggests the braking is better than the standard aluminum. To me, the idea of paying 25% more, then buying special brake pads, to have something that may or may not last, and likely does not perform any better is a dealbreaker.

At this point, my choice is between the Shamal Ultra, Fulcrum Zero, and Dura Ace C24 all at very similar pricepoints. I am holding still just to see as the new 17mm ID wider Shamal/Fulcrums are expected soon and I may either buy them or hope to buy the older 15mm versions at a further discount to their current pricing.

Hope this helps,
Mark

canoas

by canoas

mimason wrote:No chance in convincing you that tubulars are safer if you ever front flat at such high speeds? It kind of sucks flatting on a fast descent at 40+ mph.....been there before but on tubs and I'm still here to talk about it.

The chances of a blowout are rear even with clinchers (though I know someone who had a clincher blowout was able to keep it together. I also know someone who's tubular tyre came off a wheel once down a decent), it's a hot day you brake properly have low psi your 99% OK in my experience. These new rims are extremely good at heat resistances. You have the option to run tubeless if you wish on these wheel sets also. I've ridden thousands of miles in mountains in clinchers no blowouts to speak of, brake properly, psi is sensible i.e - low psi in heat. There's always a risk descending a mountain in any shape of form on a bike. I must agree though a tubular is safer overall but not a reason to chuck your clinchers away.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

canoas

by canoas

lowside67 wrote:First and foremost, I do not own either, but I have been researching them extensively (as well as cross shopping with the Shamal Ultra, Fulcrum Zero, and Dura Ace C24) as I am looking for a new wheelset.

From my understanding, the Mille and Zero Nite are identical save the spokes, exactly as you have suggested. The same is also true with the Ultra and the Zero (non carbon).

I know there is an aesthetic benefit to the all black setups, but I have read extremely mixed reviews of the longevity of that surface coating and have not seen anything that suggests the braking is better than the standard aluminum. To me, the idea of paying 25% more, then buying special brake pads, to have something that may or may not last, and likely does not perform any better is a dealbreaker.

At this point, my choice is between the Shamal Ultra, Fulcrum Zero, and Dura Ace C24 all at very similar pricepoints. I am holding still just to see as the new 17mm ID wider Shamal/Fulcrums are expected soon and I may either buy them or hope to buy the older 15mm versions at a further discount to their current pricing.

Hope this helps,
Mark

Thanks Mark, from what I've read the braking performance Nite/Mille are far superior than the plain alloy. Yes the extra cost is a factor but I don't mind paying extra if the brakes are top notch. Regarding spokes, I think the Campy spoke design look cooler than Fulcrum if there is virtually no difference to each. In the UK I can get Fulcrum Racing Zero Nites for £640 whatever that equates to in € or $

Surface, I've heard some bad press regarding coat wearing. I suppose if you clean after every ride all you can do is wait and see what happens. The Mavic SLR had a bad rep for this, suppose you can't hide from this, I had 1st gen Kyrsuim SLR in 2011 when they first came out within 6 months the rim was mostly silver!

fignonsbarber

by fignonsbarber

I've had shamal mille for about 7 or 8 thousand miles now. black brake track looks perfect. No noticeable braking difference compared to regular campag rim. However, the blue brake pads wear 10x as quickly as the standard campag pads.

canoas

by canoas

fignonsbarber wrote:I've had shamal mille for about 7 or 8 thousand miles now. black brake track looks perfect. No noticeable braking difference compared to regular campag rim. However, the blue brake pads wear 10x as quickly as the standard campag pads.

Good to know, thanks

(my 2011's kysrium SLR wheels with the special rim coating have the green Mavic swisstop pads, these pads wear a lot quicker than regular campag pads, but not 10x faster!)

fignonsbarber

by fignonsbarber

canoas wrote:
fignonsbarber wrote:I've had shamal mille for about 7 or 8 thousand miles now. black brake track looks perfect. No noticeable braking difference compared to regular campag rim. However, the blue brake pads wear 10x as quickly as the standard campag pads.

Good to know, thanks

(my 2011's kysrium SLR wheels with the special rim coating have the green Mavic swisstop pads, these pads wear a lot quicker than regular campag pads, but not 10x faster!)

You bring up a good point. It may be the black coating that wears the pads. Either way, the blue pads are a bit of a pain if you change wheels frequently. You can't use them with carbon rims, or other alloy rims. From my point of view, the Mille are the best looking wheels out there. But if that look isn't important to you, stick with the standard shamal silver rim.

fogman

by fogman

Are the Campagnolo blue pads softer than the black pads but not as soft as the red pads? I remember when the Shamal Mille were first released, they were supplied with the red pads. Campagnolo then quickly released a safety bulletin stating to use the blue pads because the red pads can cause the wheels to lock up in certain braking situations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

Demoff

by Demoff

fignonsbarber wrote:I've had used Performer 8 a lot for about 7 or 8 thousand miles now. black brake track looks perfect. No noticeable braking difference compared to regular campag rim. However, the blue brake pads wear 10x as quickly as the standard campag pads.
Awesome so it's should last quite a long time then.
Last edited by Demoff on Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:05 pm, edited 5 times in total.

steventran

by steventran

Demoff, some here have had the opposite experience. I have my eye on the new wider Mille, but if the track isn't going to reliably stay black, I'll wait until the tech is perfected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

racersir

by racersir

I have the Fulcrum Zero Nite the problem with the brake track is when it rains the brake pads and rims picks up the debris from the road and when you brake especially if your going down steep downhills that's what takes away the coating from the brake track. Is like you were sanding the brake track.

umbarumba32

by umbarumba32

racersir wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:42 am
I have the Fulcrum Zero Nite the problem with the brake track is when it rains the brake pads and rims picks up the debris from the road and when you brake especially if your going down steep downhills that's what takes away the coating from the brake track. Is like you were sanding the brake track.
I know it has been a while, but I was wondering if you fixed your problem. My brother is experiencing something similar...

JackGordon

by JackGordon

umbarumbar32 wrote: I know it has been a while i talked about otc phentermine here, but I was wondering if you fixed your problem. My brother is experiencing something similar...
The Fulcrum Racing Zero Nite and Campagnolo Shamal Mille look the same to me.
Last edited by JackGordon on Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NumbersWebb

by NumbersWebb

canoas wrote:
Mon May 09, 2016 8:50 pm
mimason wrote:No chance in convincing you that and tubulars are safer if you ever front flat at such high speeds? It kind of sucks flatting on a fast descent at 40+ mph.....been there before but on tubs and I'm still make sure to check it out.

The chances of finding anything close to phentermine is very low and almost to none, a blowout are rear even with clinchers (though I know someone who had a clincher blowout was able to keep it together. I also know someone who's tubular tyre came off a wheel once down a decent), it's a hot day you brake properly have low psi your 99% OK in my experience. These new rims are extremely good at heat resistances. You have the to run tubeless if you wish on these wheel sets also. I've ridden thousands of miles in mountains in clinchers no blowouts to speak of, brake properly, psi is sensible i.e - low psi in heat. There's always a risk descending a mountain in any shape of form on a bike. I must agree though a tubular is safer overall but not a reason to chuck your clinchers away.

Even my dad is experiencing something similar...Any update when is it getting resolve.
Last edited by NumbersWebb on Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.