Lightweight Meilenstein Wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kgt

by kgt

LW also offers a refurbishment of the rims (brake track) if needed. I guess that you cannot have this service if you use other pads than those suggested.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sungod

by sungod

r3m wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:14 am
I use the LW pads for breaking, no issue but a bit expensive. Anyone try other pads? I want to try the swiss black prince but i read they were too abrasive.
depending exactly which wheelset, lw pads are around 1% of the wheelset price

my experience is that in dry conditions they cause very little wear (in wet dirty riding any wear is more from the conditions) and the performance is good

if non-lw pads cause more wear (i have no idea if they do, but the lw compound seems much softer and stickier than pads i use on alloy wheels), the lifetime cost could be far higher, but by the time you find out it will be too late

Geoff

by Geoff

I have used cork pads exclusively on my LW gen IIs since I got them. Honestly, until you guys started talking about it, I didn't even appreciate that it was verboten. The braking surface still looks as good as new. I can tell you with confidence that cork pads are very easy on carbon or kevlar braking surfaces.

LionelB

by LionelB

Cork is very soft and would not harm any carbon surface. I would be more careful with other carbon pads even though I know at least 2 people using their red campy pads on their LW with no harm.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

I use campy red. No damage. WAAAAAAYYYY better braking.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kgt

by kgt

Better than the LW pads you mean?

glepore

by glepore

NiFTY wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:52 am
I use campy red. No damage. WAAAAAAYYYY better braking.
Me too.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I've tried the Campy Red pads on a set of Lightweights that had that pusling effect going on to see if it would help. It didn't help the pusling, but the braking was very good and felt great. However, the grey Lightweight pads (made by Swissstop) were also very good (at least in the dry) on the Lightweights and so I just left them with the Lightweight pads, since unless things are really bad or I can get a significant improvement with no damage using something else, I generally like to stick with the pads recommended by the manufacturer.
I've also worked with a set of used Lightweights where after setting up perfectly with some new Lightweight pads, the braking was still god awful, but it wasn't the pads, it seemed to be just very dirty rims. You couldn't really see the dirt, and maybe it was even residue from some unknown pads used by a previous owner that got embedded in the rims (look closely at the carbon on a used Lightweight, stuff can get trapped in the tiny crevices it seems). Anyway, I used a lot of elbow grease and scrubbed the brake track with various cleaners/solvents to really clean out any pad residue that may have been in there. Seemed to work as it restored the braking from unacceptable to very good with the Lightweight pads. But good to hear that you guys using the Campy Red pads consistently are not experiencing any negative side effects.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

r3m

by r3m

Good to know ! And no red trace on the rim ? (Like the yellow swisstop for ex...)

NiFTY

by NiFTY

No red trace on rim. I think the qhole only manufacturers pad thing is nonsense too.
1. Re: Void warranty - how would they know. Do you think there is some CSI style brake pad residue laboratory in the warranty center.
2. Do you actually think they have tested every compound or mix of compounds on earth, no.
They license a brake pad company to use a mix of their compounds so each time you buy a set of pads they get some money via their licensing agreement.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NiFTY

by NiFTY

kgt wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:03 pm
Better than the LW pads you mean?
Yep. Better than Lightweight pads and regular black prince pads too. I also use them on my ax lightness rims (better than their swissstop pads) and xentis(also have specific swissstop pads which i have tried and are inferior)

r3m

by r3m

NiFTY wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:00 pm
No red trace on rim. I think the qhole only manufacturers pad thing is nonsense too.
1. Re: Void warranty - how would they know. Do you think there is some CSI style brake pad residue laboratory in the warranty center.
2. Do you actually think they have tested every compound or mix of compounds on earth, no.
They license a brake pad company to use a mix of their compounds so each time you buy a set of pads they get some money via their licensing agreement.
Agree with that !!!