New Michelin contender for low Rolling Resistance

Everything about building wheels, glueing tubs, etc.
Hexsense

by Hexsense

seems like most complain are from 23c version.
and most praise are from 25c version.
Michelin power competition 25c are 20g heavier than 23c at 215g vs 195g of 23c which is significant unlike 4000sII which is only 11g apart from each other. (source: bicyclerollingresistance.com's measurement)

so i would assume if i ever want to try it again in the future, i would pick 25c and stay away from 23c.

sd5500

by sd5500

Whats with the annoying white powder on these things?

Delorre

by Delorre

sd5500 wrote:Whats with the annoying white powder on these things?

I did the mounting in my living room, and that stuff made the floor slippery as hell :shock:

Delorre

by Delorre

I already posted this in an own tread, but repost it in this topic, dedicatated to the new power comp.

This is what my front tyre looks like after 1000km, the rear one is still perfectly round. It's not the rim, and I have tried other innnertubes as well, with no change. It looks like the carcass has been damaged. I did not puncture, but have had some pretty bad roads and some putholes during my holiday in France last week. Also a lot of twisty descends with lots of hard braking (and thus potential heat)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BU5ihCZds4

I emailed the retailer of the tyres (mantel.com) about this, but didn't have a reply yet.

hypercycler

by hypercycler

Delorre wrote:I already posted this in an own tread, but repost it in this topic, dedicatated to the new power comp.

This is what my front tyre looks like after 1000km, the rear one is still perfectly round. It's not the rim, and I have tried other innnertubes as well, with no change. It looks like the carcass has been damaged. I did not puncture, but have had some pretty bad roads and some putholes during my holiday in France last week. Also a lot of twisty descends with lots of hard braking (and thus potential heat)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BU5ihCZds4

I emailed the retailer of the tyres (mantel.com) about this, but didn't have a reply yet.

I too got a similar problem on one of the tires I got from PBK (25mm). I noticed it immediately when I mounted it on. It's not as bad and I just left it on for the rear wheel.

Delorre

by Delorre

I got a reply from the retailer, basicly saying "this can happen on any tyre, but nothing to worry about, it should not be noticable when riding" WTF. They find this normal. I don't, and have never had such issue in alost 15 years on Conti tyres. I keep this set of Michelins because they are really nice to ride on, but not sure i will replace them with the same tyres. Still no flats or any cut at all, but already some very visible wear on the rear. Just over 1000 miles. TBC

AJS914

by AJS914

It seems like your retailer should replace the defective tire.

jj911c2

by jj911c2

I put a set of the Competition tires in 25MM on back in March and just had to replace the rear after 2.5k as it was squared off. The front looked fine so I left it on. Overall I really like the tires and the grip on warm/dry pavement is very good but cold/wet is slippery - reminds me of Michelin Sport Cup car tires.

Ride quality is comparable to the Continental 4000sII and the grip is better in dry/worse in wet. I have had a few flats but about the same rate as the continentals. Overall I like the tires and am sticking with them during the summer.

Delorre

by Delorre

Replaced the set after 5.5k km. Not a single flat, except on the very last ride on the old set. Front tyre got sliced several cm's by a nasty chunk of metal on a railway crossing. My fault, was not looking where I put my wheels. No tyre would have survived to that. Without that slice, I would have kept the front, as it was still looking fine. The rear was square. I cut the rear tyre open to see how much rubbe was left at the back, and was surprised. Even after 5,5 there was still half of the rubber left. So, in theory, I could have used the rear for a couple of 1000 km more.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

i use pro 4 endurance. they're great tires.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Trek 5200(ultegra)

sp3000

by sp3000

On the box it says "a layer of protection..." I assume it's to help keep the tires good while in storage. Either way other tire manufactures seem to do without it. I put some on tonight and the stuff is absolutely horrible, gets wax powder everywhere.. I really like the Michelin tires but I really don't like having to wipe everything down and getting this crap all over the floor when installing. Enough to push me back to conti's..

Delorre

by Delorre

sp3000 wrote:

On the box it says "a layer of protection..." I assume it's to help keep the tires good while in storage. Either way other tire manufactures seem to do without it. I put some on tonight and the stuff is absolutely horrible, gets wax powder everywhere.. I really like the Michelin tires but I really don't like having to wipe everything down and getting this crap all over the floor when installing. Enough to push me back to conti's..

Install them outdours, do a few passes with a dry rage once installed, and you won't have a mess of a leftover on your kitchen floor, kitchen table, bedroom of any other weird place people seems to use to wrench on bikes. I learned the hard way as well :oops:

4151zero

by 4151zero

What are your tire pressures and approx weight please, I'd like to make note of wear patterns based on those parameters.

FWIW, I'm 63kg, and roll @ 80 psi on a zipp 202 platform. I've done a few century's on these tires, they barely show any wear. Grip and ride quality is on par if not slightly better than previous GP2KS2's and Vittoria Corsa G+ (both in 25c)

Delorre wrote:Replaced the set after 5.5k km. Not a single flat, except on the very last ride on the old set. Front tyre got sliced several cm's by a nasty chunk of metal on a railway crossing. My fault, was not looking where I put my wheels. No tyre would have survived to that. Without that slice, I would have kept the front, as it was still looking fine. The rear was square. I cut the rear tyre open to see how much rubbe was left at the back, and was surprised. Even after 5,5 there was still half of the rubber left. So, in theory, I could have used the rear for a couple of 1000 km more.

Delorre

by Delorre

4151zero wrote:What are your tire pressures and approx weight please, I'd like to make note of wear patterns based on those parameters.

FWIW, I'm 63kg, and roll @ 80 psi on a zipp 202 platform. I've done a few century's on these tires, they barely show any wear. Grip and ride quality is on par if not slightly better than previous GP2KS2's and Vittoria Corsa G+ (both in 25c)

Delorre wrote:Replaced the set after 5.5k km. Not a single flat, except on the very last ride on the old set. Front tyre got sliced several cm's by a nasty chunk of metal on a railway crossing. My fault, was not looking where I put my wheels. No tyre would have survived to that. Without that slice, I would have kept the front, as it was still looking fine. The rear was square. I cut the rear tyre open to see how much rubbe was left at the back, and was surprised. Even after 5,5 there was still half of the rubber left. So, in theory, I could have used the rear for a couple of 1000 km more.

I'm 69 kg and run them 80F/90R most of the time (on 17mm inner width Bora's), sometimes 10psi less F and R when I know the road are gonna be particulary bad.

sussexhills

by sussexhills

These are a right hassle to install with the weird protective white rubber dust, hope they're worth it once I get them out on the road.