New Michelin contender for low Rolling Resistance

Everything about building wheels, glueing tubs, etc.
sp3000

by sp3000

sussexhills wrote:These are a right hassle to install with the weird protective white rubber dust, hope they're worth it once I get them out on the road.

They are really great. I'm hoping that maybe the Pirelli's are as good and don't have the waxy crap.

dastott

by dastott

Sorry for the grave dig, was just wondering how wide the 25mm measures in the real world? My SS Evo doesn't have lots of clearance at the back.

FWIW, I have been using a 23mm front since June. Done around 4000kms with no issues. Recently got a small nick in the front tyre although I do sometimes ride on rough tarmac forest roads. Unfortunately done a few rides in the wet recently. Not so confidence inspiring but I can't say they are worse than the GP4000s or Mavic Yksion in that respect.

by Weenie

zefs

by zefs

dastott wrote:Sorry for the grave dig, was just wondering how wide the 25mm measures in the real world? My SS Evo doesn't have lots of clearance at the back.

FWIW, I have been using a 23mm front since June. Done around 4000kms with no issues. Recently got a small nick in the front tyre although I do sometimes ride on rough tarmac forest roads. Unfortunately done a few rides in the wet recently. Not so confidence inspiring but I can't say they are worse than the GP4000s or Mavic Yksion in that respect.

Power Competition measures 27mm on my 17mm internal wheels.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

zefs wrote:
dastott wrote:Sorry for the grave dig, was just wondering how wide the 25mm measures in the real world? My SS Evo doesn't have lots of clearance at the back.

Power Competition measures 27mm on my 17mm internal wheels.

Power Competition 25c measures 28.1mm on my 21mm internal width rim (80psi, rear wheel if that's matter).

For reference
4000sII 23c -> 27.3mm, 25c -> 28.3-28.7mm (was narrower but keep expanding)
Vittoria Corsa G+ 25c 29mm
Pirelli Pzero 25c 29mm

So it's narrowest in the bunch. mid way between 23c and 25c of Continental.

dastott

by dastott

Thanks for the replies, have ordered some 25c and hope they fit.

Rex

by Rex

I've been running Power Competition 25's for about a month now and absolutely love them.

I haven't ridden them in the wet so I can't comment there, but they have a great road feel, don't have any cuts etc and are very fast imo.
Yes the white waxy substance is a pita when installing, but why you would continue to install them inside your house is beyond me.

zefs

by zefs

Yeah seems like a great tire, they should make a 28c version since this tire is really light (215g).
I am now testing the Vittoria Corsa G+ Open and compared to the Michelin it absorbs bumps better at the same psi (probably because of the 320 tpi) but it's heavier (255g). I am using Michelin latex inner tubes.

The Michelin performs good in the rain as well, but Vittoria has better grip (in dry atleast).

Rex

by Rex

Has anyone ridden both these Power Comp clinchers and Michelin Pro4 SC Tubulars on the same/similar depth rim combo ?

Looking at my next race wheelset and want the weight of Tubulars, but love the Power Comps so much.
Really unsure what to do.
Price/convenience etc isn't a factor.

Rex

by Rex

Any comments?