25mm Tubeless Tyres

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

dim wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:35 pm

thanks for the tip ....

but I don't understand fully ...

Are you saying that the old Stans (mixed with glitter) is better than the newer Stan's Race Day seal (and which Stan's claim to be the best that they have ever made and which will seal larger holes)?

so does adding glitter improve the effectiveness of sealant?
So yes, putting a tablespoon or so of glitter in the tire before you add sealant will make the sealant more effective. Basically, it's the same idea as the gritty chunky bits you find in regular sealant taken to the extreme. It's there to clog up the leak while the sealant exposed to the air dries.

The downside is that it's a colossal mess. When the sealant dries with the glitter in it it's horrible to clean up. Tubless rim with rim tape may not be as bad, but I still have nightmares about cleaning up the inside of my Shimano rims and if it ever gets into the valve stem, plan on just replacing it. If you plan on ever removing the tires to clean out/replace sealant, avoid the glitter trick. If you're ok with leaving them on there until the tire is dead, I never met a puncture it wouldn't seal but do it at your own peril.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dim

by dim

IrrelevantD wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:07 pm
dim wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:35 pm

thanks for the tip ....

but I don't understand fully ...

Are you saying that the old Stans (mixed with glitter) is better than the newer Stan's Race Day seal (and which Stan's claim to be the best that they have ever made and which will seal larger holes)?

so does adding glitter improve the effectiveness of sealant?
So yes, putting a tablespoon or so of glitter in the tire before you add sealant will make the sealant more effective. Basically, it's the same idea as the gritty chunky bits you find in regular sealant taken to the extreme. It's there to clog up the leak while the sealant exposed to the air dries.

The downside is that it's a colossal mess. When the sealant dries with the glitter in it it's horrible to clean up. Tubless rim with rim tape may not be as bad, but I still have nightmares about cleaning up the inside of my Shimano rims and if it ever gets into the valve stem, plan on just replacing it. If you plan on ever removing the tires to clean out/replace sealant, avoid the glitter trick. If you're ok with leaving them on there until the tire is dead, I never met a puncture it wouldn't seal but do it at your own peril.
thanks for that .... I've learned something new and will give it a try

I read a few posts on different forums where guys added glitter, and I always thought that it was used to show when you get a small puncture that you never knew happened (i.e. check your tyres after every ride, and if you see some glitter on the outside, you know that you had a puncture)
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

MagicShite

by MagicShite

Instead of glitter, use grounded black pepper.

More eco friendly, less messy. Works even better than Glitter IMO.

dim

by dim

quick question:

has anyone had sucess using an inner tube with tubeless tyres? .... I've read on several sites that if you add an inner tube to a tubeless tyre, you are wasting your time, as there is a high probability that you will get a pinch flat

so .... if you go on a long ride, and you get a larger puncture that won't seal, you first try plugging the hole with the tubeless tyre repair kit (worms) and a dab of gorilla glue or super glue .... if that does not work, and you need to add a tube, carry a clincher tyre with you and swop the tubeless tyre with the clincher and tube

I've also read that the new stans race latex is better than the Orange sealant as it seals larger punctures better than the orange sealant.

http://road.cc/content/review/189722-st ... ce-sealant

Can anyone confirm this .... Downside on the Stans is that you should not add it through the valve (you have to unseat part of the tyre and pour it in as it blocks the valve) .... they also say that you only need to top up after several months and not every 2 months
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

dim wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:27 pm
quick question:

has anyone had sucess using an inner tube with tubeless tyres? .... I've read on several sites that if you add an inner tube to a tubeless tyre, you are wasting your time, as there is a high probability that you will get a pinch flat

so .... if you go on a long ride, and you get a larger puncture that won't seal, you first try plugging the hole with the tubeless tyre repair kit (worms) and a dab of gorilla glue or super glue .... if that does not work, and you need to add a tube, carry a clincher tyre with you and swop the tubeless tyre with the clincher and tube

I've also read that the new stans race latex is better than the Orange sealant as it seals larger punctures better than the orange sealant.

Can anyone confirm this .... Downside on the Stans is that you should not add it through the valve (you have to unseat part of the tyre and pour it in as it blocks the valve) .... they also say that you only need to top up after several months and not every 2 months
With the plug, you don't need to add gorilla glue, super glue, or anything else. Just stick the plug in, and unless it's a really big hole, it should plug it right up. Throw in a little air and go. The only other thing I do is cary a mini-Swiss Army knife and use the scissors to trim the bit of plug that's still sticking out a bit. The only time I saw a puncture that wouldn't be sealable with a plug, it was a 2cm wide gash, on a 23mm tire. Ran over a razor blade or something. Really, unless it an actual cut, like 5mm or bigger, it's probably not going to take much more than a plug and some sealant.

As for sealant, as long as it's a removable core stem, I inject Stan's Race Day through them with no issues. I just use the plunger that came with the Stans kit about 10 years ago. In my opinion, Race Day is the best out there, with Stan's Original being second. There was a big fear at one point about Stan's damaging Shimano Rims, so I tried Cafeelatex, Orange Seal, and two different varieties of Slime. Went back to Stans because none of them worked as well.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

dim

by dim

IrrelevantD wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:04 pm
dim wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:27 pm
quick question:

With the plug, you don't need to add gorilla glue, super glue, or anything else. Just stick the plug in, and unless it's a really big hole, it should plug it right up. Throw in a little air and go. The only other thing I do is cary a mini-Swiss Army knife and use the scissors to trim the bit of plug that's still sticking out a bit. The only time I saw a puncture that wouldn't be sealable with a plug, it was a 2cm wide gash, on a 23mm tire. Ran over a razor blade or something. Really, unless it an actual cut, like 5mm or bigger, it's probably not going to take much more than a plug and some sealant.

As for sealant, as long as it's a removable core stem, I inject Stan's Race Day through them with no issues. I just use the plunger that came with the Stans kit about 10 years ago. In my opinion, Race Day is the best out there, with Stan's Original being second. There was a big fear at one point about Stan's damaging Shimano Rims, so I tried Cafeelatex, Orange Seal, and two different varieties of Slime. Went back to Stans because none of them worked as well.
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

dim

by dim

I'm going to try a different sealant:
Slime Tubeless Premium STR Sealant

seals large slits, Co2 friendly, lasts 6 months, does not corrode your rim and used a lot by the MTB folk .... Orange sealant is ok, but ok for small punctures:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-vQqGw-RgM

any thoughts?
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

dim wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:46 pm

seals large slits, Co2 friendly, lasts 6 months, does not corrode your rim and used a lot by the MTB folk .... Orange sealant is ok, but ok for small punctures:

any thoughts?
It never worked that well for me, maybe it doesn't like high pressure? I think I may have been running 23's at the time, so probably between 100 and 110psi. That video shows a MTB tire, probably running less than 1/2 that. But, I'm a big fan of testing and trying new things, so give it a shot and let us know how it goes.

dim

by dim

IrrelevantD wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:09 pm
dim wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:46 pm

any thoughts?
It never worked that well for me, maybe it doesn't like high pressure? I think I may have been running 23's at the time, so probably between 100 and 110psi. That video shows a MTB tire, probably running less than 1/2 that. But, I'm a big fan of testing and trying new things, so give it a shot and let us know how it goes.
eek! ... I've already bought it off ebay .... it was cheap... I will let you know if I encounter any probs (I'm just not 100% confident with the Orange sealant ... it's ok for small punctures but anything bigger and it just spurts out ... there's loads of car tyre sealants aswell as tractor tyre sealants

I think that most cyclists using tubeless, rely on tubeless sealant marketed for cyclists .... I'm starting to research the MTB forums, where the guys have been using tubeless for a lot longer and who have a lot more experience ...and have experemented with loads of sealants

bottom line .... if you use tubeless tyres, and the sealant is shite, you are wasting your time and may as well use clinchers and tubes
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

dim wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:30 pm
bottom line .... if you use tubeless tyres, and the sealant is shite, you are wasting your time and may as well use clinchers and tubes
Absolutely correct.

As I said before, I've tried Cafeelatex, Orange, Slime, Slime Pro (or premium, or whatever they're calling it now) and have always have gone back to Stan's or Stan's race day. At this point, I honestly don't think it damages rims. I did see some pitting in my Shimano wheels, but I couldn't say that was from Stan's any more than from water and air. I've never seen any issues with any of my wheels that have to be taped.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Orange Seal continues to be best performing sealant for me. For large holes, I simply stop and hold the puncture at 6 o’clock with my finger over the hole. If that doesn’t seal it, then a DynaPlug will.

For me there has never been a situation where Slime STR and Stan’s have worked better than Orange Seal. Slime STR is way messier and stickier, it gets jammed in it own bottle/applicator tip. If you get some on the exterior of your rim it’s a pain to scrub off.

Stan’s has simply never worked as well as Orange Seal with the combination of puncture size and pressures while Orange Seal has sealed 5mm punctures for me at 90psi.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:13 pm
Orange Seal continues to be best performing sealant for me. For large holes, I simply stop and hold the puncture at 6 o’clock with my finger over the hole. If that doesn’t seal it, then a DynaPlug will.

For me there has never been a situation where Slime STR and Stan’s have worked better than Orange Seal. Slime STR is way messier and stickier, it gets jammed in it own bottle/applicator tip. If you get some on the exterior of your rim it’s a pain to scrub off.

Stan’s has simply never worked as well as Orange Seal with the combination of puncture size and pressures while Orange Seal has sealed 5mm punctures for me at 90psi.
Wish Orange Seal worked that well for me... I once had it completely drain from my tire through a ~3mm puncture at 90-100psi. Left a puddle of the stuff about a foot in diameter. I ended up riding home on the sidewalk with my rear tire off the bead. Thankfully I didn't damage my rim. That was the point that I swore it off for good.

I'm with you on the plug though. Anything that doesn't seal up before I can get my seat roll off my saddle gets a plug. Spent too much time pumping a tire from 60psi back up to 90 only to have it start leaking again 45 seconds later to deal with it. Knock on wood... I've never had a plug fail me.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The only issue I might have with DynaPlugs is the tip sometimes coming off inside the tire after a ride or two. Then it rolls around making a ticking noise until you pop the bead off and take it out.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:48 am
The only issue I might have with DynaPlugs is the tip sometimes coming off inside the tire after a ride or two. Then it rolls around making a ticking noise until you pop the bead off and take it out.
I actually use Genuine Innovations plugs. Not quite as easy to use, but more cost effective and I didn’t want to deal with a that brass spike doing just what you said.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mentok

by mentok

Replying here because I didn't want to start a new thread.

I've just installed Schwalbe Pro 25s on my new commuter wheels and they measure up to 30mm inflated. I don't intend to stick with the Schwalbes on my commuter though due to reliability requirements - any suggestions for sensibly priced, sensibly light but more puncture resistant options than the Schwalbes? Looking to buy from wiggle or one of the other UK stores who can deliver to Australia.