Anyone tried the Fulcrum RACING QUATTRO CARBON clincher

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

madonna

by madonna

Hi guys, I am thinking of getting the above mentioned wheelset. Any personal review on this products, or should I opt for the Fulcrum racing speed (tubular) which comes with the cup and cone bearings.

Nejmann

by Nejmann

Cyclingtips has a review on them. I saw them at my local lbs the other day. Looks nice.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

superdx

by superdx

I've done about 600km on them, my general feelings are mirrored in the CyclingTips review. They're reliable, spin up ok but no free speed. They're a bit pricey as well but they look great. I've seen them on a lot of 2016 aero road bikes, so pretty sure they'll be on eBay soon enough.

sawyer

by sawyer

The rim looks great, and being Campag/Fulcrum I'd trust it, but the sub Record level (i.e. non cup and cone) hubs aren't great. They are fine for commuting and tooling around and durable, but I've always felt they aren't as fast as the higher end stuff. Personally I'd still take Zondas over those Racing Quattros ...

Put those rims on the decent hub and keep it under E1100 and Fulcrum would have a winner
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

markgoldstein

by markgoldstein

In terms of price, these are £840 in the UK vs £1200 for Campy Bora One 35mms - are the latter worth paying the extra £360 for?

corky

by corky

markgoldstein wrote:In terms of price, these are £840 in the UK vs £1200 for Campy Bora One 35mms - are the latter worth paying the extra £360 for?

Different rim depths :D
Different hubs.......
Different spoke configuration.
Different brake tracks....

markgoldstein

by markgoldstein

Different, as in the Bora One's are better in all regards?

sawyer

by sawyer

I haven't ridden the Fulcrums, but have Bora One 35s

I expect the Boras will be better in every regard other than obviously a fractionally less aero rim depth, though you are probably almost at the point where it is an unmeasurable difference, so doesn't matter

The Bora tubular rim is professional level equipment. Nothing on the Fulcrums is.

bontie

by bontie

Sawyer, are you confusing with the Racing quattro 35?
These are a new carbon version and definitely not the deep rimmed version of Scirocco/racing 5 as the quattro35

sawyer

by sawyer

bontie wrote:Sawyer, are you confusing with the Racing quattro 35?
These are a new carbon version and definitely not the deep rimmed version of Scirocco/racing 5 as the quattro35

Hi there - no, I'm talking about the Quattro Carbon Clincher. New 40mm carbon clincher. Re-read my post and you'll see it all makes perfect sense :thumbup:

Bora 35mm vs Fulcrum 40mm - slightly less aero, but better hubs in particular

mimason

by mimason

The Fulcrums are a value driven wheelset. The pricing is aggressive for a full carbon clincher and to get the pricing this competitive they obviously needed to cut some things back. This wheel is seemingly on tier 3 behind Bora One and Bora Ultra but is by no means a slouch. I can guarantee no one on Bora 35s would be faster than someone on Fulcrum 40s and I would not hesitate the rock these proudly.

The Chorus of Campy perhaps.

Calpol

by Calpol

I've ordered a set for my new build. They cost £750 after my British cycling discount at chain reaction. I think they will look awesome on my supersix evo hi mod.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

markgoldstein

by markgoldstein

Calpol wrote:I've ordered a set for my new build. They cost £750 after my British cycling discount at chain reaction. I think they will look awesome on my supersix evo hi mod.

Weird, that's exactly the buying process that I was considering!

DDX

by DDX

Received mine today, 1.42kg (park tool ds1 scale) vs 1555g on the fulcrum site.
Big difference, not complaining :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

crux

by crux

Calpol wrote:I've ordered a set for my new build. They cost £750 after my British cycling discount at chain reaction. I think they will look awesome on my supersix evo hi mod.

Where are the pictures of them?