Anyone tried the Fulcrum RACING QUATTRO CARBON clincher

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tomee

by tomee

ClydesdaleChris wrote:
Eucalyptus oil gets the glue off.

I did this over the weekend and the sticky residue i removed with the yellow muc-off chain cleaner and microfibre cloth

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ClydesdaleChris

by ClydesdaleChris

Decals removed and bike has done a few hundred km now. Image
BandiCoote

Eddy Merckx Roubaix70 custom build
Trek Émonda 2018 SLR

ClydesdaleChris

by ClydesdaleChris

Well after 250km, I can offer the following:

Bike: Trek Domane 6 Series (Gen 1)
Record Groupset
Vittoria Rubino PRO SPEED G+ tyres
Rider: FTP 250w, 95kg, "Rouleur Maximus". Sprints with 1200-1400w on a kick.

Wheels removed: ENVE 3.4

First impressions are of a very grippy and initially confidence-inspiring brake track. After a few sprints and stand-up efforts, the wheels don't flex much, if at all. Very comparable to much more expensive sets.

The ride seems as good as any other Carbon wheel, being firm but not monstrous like some 80's I rode once (and I mean once!). The stiffness seems good enough to give me a feeling that my rear tyre is a bit low on pressure (it was, 5lb!) so the communication is there. Ride on rough roads was very appreciable, but in context, I am riding a well set up Domane.

Cornering was sharp and un-remarkable, good feedback though corners and handled mid-corner bumps with ablomb. As a keen Crit racer this was very impressive.

AERO BENEFIT: in context, I'm about as aero as a porta-loo, so this may not be much of a test. What I did notice, is that at cruise speed (32+ km/h) there is a noticeable benefit in a bunch or when drafting another rider. That is usually the time when I notice aero wheels working, and in a bunch you're barely loading up the pedals. These wheels give that feeling, though not as much as a set of 60's, which is to be expected.

Also, when on my own, I was able to consistently able to sustain a high speed better than on alloy wheels. While you don't notice that as much (it doesn't get easier, you just go faster!).

All in all, for the money, I cannot justify buying far more expensive wheels.

I give these 4.5/5, and only because I'm sure with a set of magical hubs you can go a little bit better.

Maybe.
BandiCoote

Trek Émonda 2018 SLR

jlok

by jlok

Thx Chris, good write up.

Now I think I had overspent by getting Roval CLX... with the difference in price I could have bought a low-end smart trainer.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

ClydesdaleChris

by ClydesdaleChris

jlok wrote:Thx Chris, good write up.

Now I think I had overspent by getting Roval CLX... with the difference in price I could have bought a low-end smart trainer.

Honestly, I am very impressed. I learned a long time ago to ignore the *thing* that makes nice things nice to use, and consider things based on capability and how they actually look without the brand. The Quattro Carbons just work. Very happy.

(I say this with two bikes fitted with the latest Campagnolo, a Project One and a very rare Merckx so please take this with a pinch of salt, I know what I like!)
BandiCoote

Trek Émonda 2018 SLR

sawyer

by sawyer

@Chris - thanks for the write-up

I've done about 1000km on mine now. For comparison I have owned 10 or so pairs of carbon wheels including 3 sets of Boras, various FFWDs, no-name Gigantex, Mavic CCUs, Zipps, etc, and on the alloy side, Dura Ace, Zondas, Shamals, Ksyriums, Cosmic Carbons etc etc

The Fulcrums are up there ... a very solid feeling set of wheels, without being heavy. They sit nice and "up-right" as you power up shallow climbs seated, and inspire confidence cornering. Don't quite have the agile reactiveness of Boras (though these have all been tubs). A pleasant surprise is I notice little difference between these and Boras in the hubs tbh - in that regard I am impressed. They spin up well ( :lol: had to say that), and once up to speed they really roll along nicely.

One negative ... they do catch the wind a bit. I've ridden carbon wheelsets from 30mm upwards and most of them have been tubs which have less rotational inertia and therefore might be blown around more, but would also take less effort to correct? In any event, for whatever reason the Quattros do catch the wind quite badly for a 40mm rim - really noticeable on fast stretches around the city, when crossing the river, passing gaps between tall buildings etc. I'd say in this regard they are slightly inferior to the Bora 50mm tub

Overall I am impressed, and can say that based on my carbon wheel experience over the past 15 years or so you are losing nothing riding these vs a more expensive set, unless you go tub, and get a slightly different feeling
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Lieblingsleguan

by Lieblingsleguan

Now that there is a Racing Speed 55 Clincher, I'd love to see a budget friendly equivalent to the Racing Quattros at 55mm rim height.

ClydesdaleChris

by ClydesdaleChris

Lieblingsleguan wrote:Now that there is a Racing Speed 55 Clincher, I'd love to see a budget friendly equivalent to the Racing Quattros at 55mm rim height.

I saw that, and while the Racing Speed rim shape is very different to the Quattro (more of a V profile than the Quattro) I would line up to buy a 55-60 (Though "Racing Sei" just doesn't have the same ring to it).
BandiCoote

Trek Émonda 2018 SLR

ClydesdaleChris

by ClydesdaleChris

Gratuitous pic of the Merckx with the Quattro Carbons on it.

Weapons-grade awesomeness.

BandiCoote

Trek Émonda 2018 SLR

ClydesdaleChris

by ClydesdaleChris

1500km in, one race win and a 3rd GC and I’m still pretty chuffed with the wheels. The braking is actually very good for carbon wheels. The bare, 3K weave gives a distinctive sound and good braking modulation and power.

PS I killed the Domane so they live on the Merckx now. Until I work out what I am going to replace the Domane frame with (chain throw cracked the frame at the B.B.)
BandiCoote

Trek Émonda 2018 SLR

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

ClydesdaleChris wrote:1500km in, one race win and a 3rd GC and I’m still pretty chuffed with the wheels. The braking is actually very good for carbon wheels. The bare, 3K weave gives a distinctive sound and good braking modulation and power.

PS I killed the Domane so they live on the Merckx now. Until I work out what I am going to replace the Domane frame with (chain throw cracked the frame at the B.B.)

Sorry to hear about the Domane....

What are you thinking of getting now?

Congratulations on the race win :thumbup:
Wins are always impressive and I'm somewhat envious,
I didn't start riding till middle age and stand as much chance of winning a race as...well no chance :beerchug:
Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

ClydesdaleChris

by ClydesdaleChris

Squashednuts wrote:Sorry to hear about the Domane....

What are you thinking of getting now?

Congratulations on the race win :thumbup:
Wins are always impressive and I'm somewhat envious,
I didn't start riding till middle age and stand as much chance of winning a race as...well no chance :beerchug:

Funnily enough, I’m contemplating an ALR Emonda. Build with Chorus and Zondas.
BandiCoote

Trek Émonda 2018 SLR

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

My Quattros were supposed to be delivered today but I wasn't home. Ughhh. So I need to go to the post office tomorrow morning to pick it up. I'm planning on removing the ugly stickers.

Peter_E

by Peter_E

Made the move to discs so got another pair of the quattro carbons for disc. 1 545 grams so that was good. Ride is just like the rim brake version. 28mm Corsa G.Image

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

ClydesdaleChris

by ClydesdaleChris

Peter_E wrote:Made the move to discs so got another pair of the quattro carbons for disc. 1 545 grams so that was good. Ride is just like the rim brake version. 28mm Corsa G.Image

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

How wide are the 28mm Corsa’s?
BandiCoote

Trek Émonda 2018 SLR

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com