Wide Rims and Tires: Real Measurements

Everything about building wheels, glueing tubs, etc.
fh8425
Posts: 141
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:20 pm

by fh8425

anyone has measurement on bora 50's 24.2 mm width with turbo cotton 24 and 26 mms width and height ? Better still, will the turbo cotton 26 be usable on the F8 rear wheels ?

thanks.
fh.

Hexsense
Posts: 520
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:41 am

by Hexsense

fignonsbarber wrote:New Campagnolo Shamal Ultra C17 with Vittoria Corsa Graphene+ 25mm clincher @95psi:
front: 26.94mm
rear: 26.96mm

and i can add the size 23c into the mix,

Chinese rim 16.95mm internal width (caliper measured) which is very close to 17mm of Ultra C17
few hours old Vittoria Corsa Graphene+ 23mm clincher @90psi: 24.68mm (front)
second day Vittoria Corsa Graphene+ 23mm clincher @90psi: 25.12mm (front)
third day Vittoria Corsa Graphene+ 23mm clincher @87psi: 24.98mm (front) << almost no change now, seems stable around 24.98-25.12

rear one is
Specialized S-works Turbo (not cotton) 24mm clincher @95mm: 24.86mm (>500mi old)

Thanks to your data, when my rear Specialized wear down, i'll replace it with vittoria 25c since it's not too wide that will affact aero of my wheels (exactly 28mm at the widest point, ~26mm at brake track) much in the rear :beerchug:
Last edited by Hexsense on Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie


lactatehate
Posts: 135
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:50 pm
Location: UK

by lactatehate

Here's an updated list of mine from collecting a few rims and tires.....

Observations (and by that I mean multiple rides comparing and my opinion of sensation and observation of speed/effort/heart rate/power):

a) Everyday grippy fast, aero tire IMHO = Turbo S Works 24mm (the one with WC strips on it) on the Pacenti SL23 rim

b) Race only blazingly quick IMHO = 26mm Turbo Cotton :no1:

c) Roubaix'esque tire for "going anywhere" (unless it's muddy off road!) on your road bike = Specialized Roubaix Pro 25/28mm

Regards,

David

Image

User avatar
mpulsiv
Posts: 1208
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:17 pm

by mpulsiv

I see that Roubaix tire made it to the top 3. How does this heavy tire roll? I'm thinking about tossing my Continental 4000s (summer tire) and 4Season (winter tire) and roll on Roubaix tire all year long, specifically for comfort.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Frankie - B on Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed the quote, please use the reply button.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

lactatehate
Posts: 135
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:50 pm
Location: UK

by lactatehate

Mpulsiv,

I'd say for a chunky winter type tire it rolls fine but it is just that, a chunky winter tire. Certainly doesn't roll as nice as the supple casing of the Challenge Parigi-Roubaix but then again the Specialized Roubaix Pro isn't trying to be that type of supple race clincher for rough road race.

D.

User avatar
mpulsiv
Posts: 1208
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:17 pm

by mpulsiv

lactatehate wrote:Mpulsiv,

I'd say for a chunky winter type tire it rolls fine but it is just that, a chunky winter tire. Certainly doesn't roll as nice as the supple casing of the Challenge Parigi-Roubaix but then again the Specialized Roubaix Pro isn't trying to be that type of supple race clincher for rough road race.

D.


As long as Roubaix Pro tire has decent puncture resistance next to Continental 4season for foul weather and more supple than Continental 4000S then I'm sold!
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

emotive
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:40 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

by emotive

According to Velonews the 26mm Specialized S-Works Turbo Tubeless are the fastest rolling tyres, then the 24mm Turbo Cotton, then followed by the 26mm Turbo, then the 25mm GP4000. They didn't test the Specialised Paris Roubaix, or any other 28mm tyres, but since the Specialised engineers were the GP4000 engineers, it stands to reason that they know how to make fast tyres.

See http://velonews.competitor.com/where-th ... tires-fast
Last edited by Frankie - B on Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed the quote.

User avatar
mpulsiv
Posts: 1208
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:17 pm

by mpulsiv

emotive wrote:
According to Velonews the 26mm Specialized S-Works Turbo Tubeless are the fastest rolling tyres, then the 24mm Turbo Cotton, then followed by the 26mm Turbo, then the 25mm GP4000. They didn't test the Specialised Paris Roubaix, or any other 28mm tyres, but since the Specialised engineers were the GP4000 engineers, it stands to reason that they know how to make fast tyres.

See http://velonews.competitor.com/where-th ... tires-fast


And according to http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com, 24mm S-Works Turbo Cotton is a faster than 25mm S-Works Turbo tire. As far as I know, only 1 engineer left Continental for Specialized. The rest still reside at Continental.

Image
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

Marin
Posts: 3007
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:48 am
Location: Vienna Austria

by Marin

They didn't test the tubeless turbo though.

emotive
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:40 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

by emotive

A few more measurements for your chart:

Giant SL disc 23 wide, 17C inner
Conti GP4000 II 28C 4000km old front 30.2mm
Spec S-Works Turbo 26C 3000km old front 27mm

HED Ardennes 25mm wide 20.6C inner
Maxxis Re-Fuse 25C 25.4mm
Maxxis Re-Fuse 28C 29.1mm
Veloflex Corsa 25C new (rear) 26mm, half worn 27mm 70psi
Spec S-Works Turbo 26C 3000km old front 27.5mm

Light Bicycle RR36C02 wheels 28 wide, 22C inner

Conti GP4000 II 28C 4000km old front 32mm
Last edited by emotive on Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Birdman
Posts: 281
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:03 pm
Location: Chicago, IL, USA

by Birdman

Schwalbe Big One 27.5x2.35, Tubeless Easy
Stans Crest MK3, 23mm internal width, measured my self.

Brand new tire mounted tubeless, 40psi, measured at 57mm width.
Cervelo R3 MUD ~ viewtopic.php?f=10&t=136544
Specialized Allez Gold ~ viewtopic.php?f=10&t=134419

coneill0422
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:16 pm

by coneill0422

Does anyone have any information about the Vittoria Corsa G+ in the 28mm? What is the actual height and width, all I can seem to find is on the 25mm version
http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com ... phene-2016

I am on a Cannondale SuperSix Evo Hi-Mod 2014 with Campagnolo SR Brakes and Enve 6.7 wheels (internal width of 18.5mm and 16.5mm). I have been playing around with some different 28mm wide tires what I found was interesting. Most tires it isn't the width but the height.

Tried the Continetial GP 4000S II,s in the 28mm and the width was tight but fine while the height was the problem.
ImageUntitled by coneill0422, on Flickr

The ones that I have found that work are the Clement Strada LGG in the 28mm but they seem to run small in the tire category.

Also, the Schwalbe Pro One Tubeless fit (again tight but do-able).
ImageUntitled by coneill0422, on Flickr

Marin
Posts: 3007
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:48 am
Location: Vienna Austria

by Marin

Yes, I have 25 and 28mm G+. The 28 is just under 1mm wider than the 25.

The 25s are roughly 27mm, the 28s are true 28mm. The weight is also very close BTW.

Conti GP4000s 28s are probably the fattest 28s you can find, mine came out to 31mm. Plus the ride is awful, glad I got rid of them.

boots2000
Posts: 1467
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:28 pm

by boots2000

Really?- In my experience the GP4000 II 700x28mm ride like butter. Fast too. Just need a bike with much clearance for them to work.

I have been using Schwable one clincher 700x28- It was ok. Runs big too but not as big as the Conti GP4K.

Just put on a set of Vittoria G+ 700x28- definitely smaller than the Schwable it replaced.

Marin wrote:Yes, I have 25 and 28mm G+. The 28 is just under 1mm wider than the 25.

The 25s are roughly 27mm, the 28s are true 28mm. The weight is also very close BTW.

Conti GP4000s 28s are probably the fattest 28s you can find, mine came out to 31mm. Plus the ride is awful, glad I got rid of them.

User avatar
mpulsiv
Posts: 1208
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:17 pm

by mpulsiv

boots2000 wrote:Really?- In my experience the GP4000 II 700x28mm ride like butter. Fast too. Just need a bike with much clearance for them to work.

I have been using Schwable one clincher 700x28- It was ok. Runs big too but not as big as the Conti GP4K.

Just put on a set of Vittoria G+ 700x28- definitely smaller than the Schwable it replaced.

Marin wrote:Yes, I have 25 and 28mm G+. The 28 is just under 1mm wider than the 25.

The 25s are roughly 27mm, the 28s are true 28mm. The weight is also very close BTW.

Conti GP4000s 28s are probably the fattest 28s you can find, mine came out to 31mm. Plus the ride is awful, glad I got rid of them.


As of March 2017, there are no carbon or aluminum race frames (rim caliper) on the market that will clear 28m Continental GP 4000S II. This tire is 29mm tall and 31mm wide http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com ... i-23-25-28

Your only option is Trek Domane 2017 model disc or steel/titanium frame, either rim caliper or disc.
Last edited by mpulsiv on Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

by Weenie


Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post