Bora One 35 Clincher vs Fulcrum Racing Quattro Carbon - Clin

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dj97223

by dj97223

pdlpsher1 wrote:
PrimO wrote:
pdlpsher1 wrote:I also like the red pads but boy they are loud under heavy braking. Is anyone able to quiet the red pads?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find the red pads reasonably quiet compared to other carbon wheels/pads. My brakes/wheels make, what I can only describe as a 'whizzing' noise while braking, its not overly loud and not as loud a 303 Fire Crests and whatever pads are supplied with them.

The pads are pretty quiet under normal braking but as loud as a police siren under heavy braking, as in a steep hairpin descent. The noise is so loud it scares all the riders around me and myself as well. Again this doesn't happen normally but when it happens it's quiet scary!

I think you may not have your pads set correctly or some other problem. My red pads have a slight sound. This is true on a set of 2014 Bora 35's and a pair of 2016 Bora 50's (both tubular).
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

PrimO

by PrimO

ferrarista wrote:
sawyer wrote:One thing I noticed about the Quattro carbon is that the rim weight tolerance is not as good as the Bora/40C. I've seen Quattro at 1420gr., 1455gr., 1470gr., 1482gr., 1490gr the pair. The difference in weight is clearly in the rim. A difference of 70gr. between lowest and highest.

I have questioned that too as it appears to be a very big difference, I would have thought up to 30g difference could be possible but 70g is a bug difference to explain. If the weight difference is in the rim (because it is assumed the spokes and hubs should pretty much be standard across the board) then where on the rim is the weight differing?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ferrarista

by ferrarista

Well the difference in weight is in the quantity of resin/carbon used. I don't doubt the quality of the rim, but it is obvious it is not refinished as good as Bora/40C.

Either way for this price point it is an amazing wheel. I have my set waiting to be installed. I'm swapping the bearings for stainless hybrid ceramic abec 5 right away. I'm waiting to receive them. Should be a bit lighter than stock bearings. Maybe 8-10gr. for the set of 4.
Front wheel is 644gr and rear is 818gr with shimano freehub.I'm swapping to Campy freehub which is 4 gr less. so 1458gr the set. I'm taking off the stickers too. Maybe i'll do some custom stickers later on like Campagnolo scirocco carbon in dark gray :lol: .
██

ferrarista

by ferrarista

I swapped the bearings today and took off the stickers.

before: 644gr. front / 814gr. rear with Campy freehub. 1458gr. pair

After: 631gr. front / 803gr. rear. 1434gr. pair

I saved almost 17gr. just the stickers and almost 8gr. with the hybrid stainless 440 ceramic bearings.

As a comparison, the bora one 35 are 600gr. front and 790-795gr. rear. With the hybrid ceramic bearings I installed it rolls even better than the Bora. The problem with the Bora bearing system is that the seals they put are really tight when new and drags on the axle. It can be improved by cutting little notches on the seal where it contacts the shaft to reduce the drag.

Best bang for the buck these Quattro carbon. You get 40mm carbon rim, same performance of a Bora, for much less money. :thumbup: Similar to a shamal mille in price. The stock bearings can be upgraded very easily for hybrid ceramic. I was tempted to go with full ceramic, but the load capacity of ceramic race is much less than steel. Would have saved more weight, but not worth the hassle and money. The roads here are not great so I prefer stainless 440 races.

Add 4gr. to the total because a lot of sticker residue were stuck on the rim when I took off the stickers.

stainless ceramic bearings

stock steel bearings
Last edited by ferrarista on Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:33 am, edited 8 times in total.
██

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Link to the bearings? Those are some tubby stickers :)
Using Tapatalk

buhx2

by buhx2

Pics of wheels sans stickers?

ferrarista

by ferrarista

Here is the front wheel without stickers.

I bought the bearings here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/17x30x7mm-Stainless-steel-hybrid-ceramic-ball-bearing-S61903-2RS-S6903-2RS-CB-ABEC5-bicycle-bearing/32597897021.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.4Bm7rY

These have silicon nitride balls and abec 5. I took off the seal of a bearing to check and the balls are black. When they are white its zirconia balls which are not as good.

I bought six bearings. Will see how long they last, but first impression is good.
Last edited by ferrarista on Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:16 am, edited 5 times in total.
██

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

pdlpsher1 wrote:
PrimO wrote:
pdlpsher1 wrote:I also like the red pads but boy they are loud under heavy braking. Is anyone able to quiet the red pads?

I find the red pads reasonably quiet compared to other carbon wheels/pads. My brakes/wheels make, what I can only describe as a 'whizzing' noise while braking, its not overly loud and not as loud a 303 Fire Crests and whatever pads are supplied with them.

The pads are pretty quiet under normal braking but as loud as a police siren under heavy braking, as in a steep hairpin descent. The noise is so loud it scares all the riders around me and myself as well. Again this doesn't happen normally but when it happens it's quite scary!

Did you find the root cause of this noise?
My Kool-Stop salmon pads with aluminum brake track exhibit same noise. It also sound like police siren under hard braking from fast descent. Scary loud! I have never heard this before after going through numerous Kool-Stop salmon brake pads with over 10k miles.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

No, I never did find the cause. But I never tried to look for the cause. Both wheels exhibit the same issue. I just assume this is normal and by design.

PrimO

by PrimO

ferrarista wrote:Here is the front wheel without stickers.

I bought the bearings here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/17x30x7mm-Stainless-steel-hybrid-ceramic-ball-bearing-S61903-2RS-S6903-2RS-CB-ABEC5-bicycle-bearing/32597897021.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.4Bm7rY

These have silicon nitride balls and abec 5. I took off the seal of a bearing to check and the balls are black. When they are white its zirconia balls which are not as good.

I bought six bearings. Will see how long they last, but first impression is good.

I'm presuming they use the same bearings front and rear and two per wheel?

ferrarista

by ferrarista

PrimO wrote:
ferrarista wrote:Here is the front wheel without stickers.

I'm presuming they use the same bearings front and rear and two per wheel?

Same 6903 front and back. Two per wheel.
██

Delorre

by Delorre

pdlpsher1 wrote:No, I never did find the cause. But I never tried to look for the cause. Both wheels exhibit the same issue. I just assume this is normal and by design.

You tried a little toe-in of the brake pads? Can do wonders in such cases!

ClydesdaleChris

by ClydesdaleChris

I just got the same numbers as ferrarista, so these are pretty light for the depth, and stupid cheap.

Ride review coming when it stops raining.
BandiCoote

Eddy Merckx Roubaix70 custom build
Trek Émonda 2018 SLR

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

Only time i got scary noises from braking (alu rims, campa black pads) on descents was when i used a spray chain lube and some ended up on the rims. I had to wipe them with alcohol 100 times to get rid of it. My new boras make no noise apart from that interesting but not loud whistle. Red pads, no toe in.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ferrarista

by ferrarista

This is how it looks without stickers.

██