Bora One 35 Clincher vs Fulcrum Racing Quattro Carbon - Clin

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mejepa

by mejepa

Hi:
I read a lot although I do not write too much in the forum.

I'm from Spain and I like to know if you think is worth to purchase the Boras.

I think both wheels are almost the same … …
Rim width 24.2 mm
The upgrade 3d Diamat braking surface treatment
Same type of spokes
Same type of nipples
Same oversized rear flange.
Same Aluminum hub body
Not sure because I haven’t confirmed it but similar/same Aluminum axle.
Brake pads I suppose will be the same.
Rear wheel.- same number of spokes, 21.

Will be different … … …
Bearings, USB in Boras
Less weight in Boras 150 grs (600+805=1405 grs) vs (1555 grs), due to basically more profile in the Fulcrum.
Front wheel 18 spokes Boras vs 16 Fulcrum. Which front wheel will be stiffer in your opinion?
The price 1.679€ Boras vs 1.099€ Fulcrum. 580€ :shock:
http://www.bike24.com/1.php?menu=1000%2 ... uct=117579
http://www.bike24.com/1.php?menu=1000%2 ... uct=144161
Let me know your opinion and help me to decide.
Regards.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mimason

by mimason

I was looking at the Fulcrums too compared the the Bora One 50s. Fulcrum 40s are heavier than the 50s that are 1485grams. Could not find why either so could it be different carbon and/or material in the hubs. I ended up getting the Boras. If the Fulcrums were 100 grams less I'd have gotten them instead most likely.

mejepa

by mejepa

Good point.
Lets see if more people can give more point of views.
Regards.

by 0302

I'd like some thoughts on this as well. The Full Carbon quattros are not listed on the Fulcrum site.

by 0302

Can the decals on the Fulcrums be removed easily? There was a discussion in the Bora thread that those could not. If the Fulcrums can be removed that might help me make my decision on wheels.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The differences are too small to matter. Pick the one you like the look of the most. Just beware though a replacement BORA rim is £600! I quoted a customer recently he nearly fell over. A replacement fulcrum rim will not be cheaper. Then there is poo availability.

This is the only downside to these wheels damage them and repairing is not economic.

mimason

by mimason

bm0p... good to know about the pricing of these. Shimano and ENVE hoops seem to be similarly priced so if you want name brand high quality equipment I guess we just need to expect to pay and be patient with any lead times and always have backup wheels.

sawyer

by sawyer

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think the hub internals on the Bora Ones are of a higher standard than the Fulcrum Quattros

Doesn't the Quattro use the cheap sub-Record level hubs?
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Bora Ones and the Fulcrum Quatro's use the same hub internals cartridge bearings. The Bora Ultra's use the Record hub internals.

Delorre

by Delorre

bm0p700f wrote:Bora Ones and the Fulcrum Quatro's use the same hub internals cartridge bearings. The Bora Ultra's use the Record hub internals.

Sorry Mister, but I think you are wrong there. Take a look at the exploded views on the campy site : the only diff between the one's and ultra's are the regular steel races vs ceramic races. Even the bearings have the same part number on both: HB-BO023

So yes, if the fulcrums have cardrigde bearings, the bora one's are more high end :wink:

sawyer

by sawyer

That is what I thought

I will say that having owned stacks of Campagnolo wheels over the years at all levels, the step-up at Record hub level is noticeable (though I know someone will tell me it's all in the head as it's 0.00001w :lol:

AJS914

by AJS914

580€

You could buy a lot of other weight saving or go fast bike parts for 580€!

mimason

by mimason

The differential is less than $500(4 and change when I purchased) actually per starbike pricing and 150 grams for the Bora 35s is a good amount of weight. We are splitting hairs over the 5mm depth difference. add 2 spokes as well to the boras.

My Enve 65s are roughly the same weight at the Quattros so I'd call them too heavy for 40s.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sawyer

by sawyer

I think they are good for the cash, but if you can stretch to Bora One 35s (and ride Campag) then they are obviously better - quite a bit lighter, better hubs, probably very similar aero

Would be good if Fulcrum introduced direct alternatives to Boras (i.e. updated the Racing Speed range). Perhaps we will get that next year with the heavier cheaper Quattros sitting below