Bora One 35 Clincher vs Fulcrum Racing Quattro Carbon - Clin

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

itguy

by itguy

kruger wrote:And more photos from the first ride today:

Sweet!

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Anyone using Black Prince pads on the Quattro Carbons? I have a pile of them and am thinking of buying the Quattros and need to know if I need to restock on pads :)
Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ferrarista

by ferrarista

Nefarious86 wrote:Anyone using Black Prince pads on the Quattro Carbons? I have a pile of them and am thinking of buying the Quattros and need to know if I need to restock on pads :)

You lose the warranty if you use pads other than the Campy red ones. The Campy pads are the best for those rims. I know a racer who switched from FFWD to Bora and kept the black prince pads. He was complaining about the braking. I told him to use the red campy pads. When I saw him again he couldn't believe how much better the braking was with the campy pads.
██

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I also like the red pads but boy they are loud under heavy braking. Is anyone able to quiet the red pads?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Thanks guys, almost makes me think CL40s are an easier option than buying a pile of fresh pads
Using Tapatalk

fogman

by fogman

@kjbpop. You make me laugh. But I do agree. Bora One does look very well indeed!

It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

nom8099

by nom8099

Pick the one you like the look of the most. If not, you'd try and try to change the other.

ferrarista

by ferrarista

I had the chance to weigh a set of Quattro carbon, 40C and bora one 35 today.

Quattro carbon: 1490gr.
40C: 1380gr.
bora one 35: 1390gr.

The Quattro look nice, but when you see them from closer they are not refinished as nice as the 40C or bora. The rims are heavier on the Quattro. Hubs are pretty much identical and both use aluminum axles, but Quattro uses 6903 bearings. 40C has carbon front hub similar to zero carbon.
██

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Whats the current RRP for each tho?
Using Tapatalk

PrimO

by PrimO

pdlpsher1 wrote:I also like the red pads but boy they are loud under heavy braking. Is anyone able to quiet the red pads?

I find the red pads reasonably quiet compared to other carbon wheels/pads. My brakes/wheels make, what I can only describe as a 'whizzing' noise while braking, its not overly loud and not as loud a 303 Fire Crests and whatever pads are supplied with them.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

PrimO wrote:
pdlpsher1 wrote:I also like the red pads but boy they are loud under heavy braking. Is anyone able to quiet the red pads?

I find the red pads reasonably quiet compared to other carbon wheels/pads. My brakes/wheels make, what I can only describe as a 'whizzing' noise while braking, its not overly loud and not as loud a 303 Fire Crests and whatever pads are supplied with them.

The pads are pretty quiet under normal braking but as loud as a police siren under heavy braking, as in a steep hairpin descent. The noise is so loud it scares all the riders around me and myself as well. Again this doesn't happen normally but when it happens it's quite scary!
Last edited by pdlpsher1 on Tue May 02, 2017 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ferrarista

by ferrarista

Nefarious86 wrote:Whats the current RRP for each tho?

There is 1000$ CND difference in Canada between the Quattro and bora, 40C at suggested retail price.

Is it worth it? It depends on each person. Is ceramic loose Campy bearing system and 100-110gr. lighter weight important...
Also the 40C has a front carbon shell and also comes with dark logos.
██

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

I think comparing the quattro to the Bora/40 is apples and oranges tho. They're allot of CC for the$$...
Using Tapatalk

sawyer

by sawyer

My experience of the sub-Zonda campag hub'd wheels is not great. The really don't feel as fast or as nice, however small that difference in fact is. There may be other things going on with the rim construction

Both the Quattros and the Bora Ones are great value for money, but are in a different class of wheel

40T is much more questionable value - cf Bora Ultra for example
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ferrarista

by ferrarista

sawyer wrote:My experience of the sub-Zonda campag hub'd wheels is not great. The really don't feel as fast or as nice, however small that difference in fact is. There may be other things going on with the rim construction

Both the Quattros and the Bora Ones are great value for money, but are in a different class of wheel

40T is much more questionable value - cf Bora Ultra for example

I've seen bearings not even last 2 years in the scirocco 35. Its the same hub in the Quattro carbon. The bearings are not that great in quality. But its something that can be resolved very easily by installing SKF bearings or VXB hybrid ceramic abec 5 bearings for not that much money. Around 13-20$ a bearing. Very easy to do. The wheels will feel much nicer after the upgrade. I know the Quattro and Bora are not in the same price level, but they are in the same wheel category so people do cross shop.

One thing I noticed about the Quattro carbon is that the rim weight tolerance is not as good as the Bora/40C. I've seen Quattro at 1420gr., 1455gr., 1470gr., 1482gr., 1490gr the pair. The difference in weight is clearly in the rim. A difference of 70gr. between lowest and highest.
██