Bora One 35 Clincher vs Fulcrum Racing Quattro Carbon - Clin

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

ferrarista wrote:This is how it looks without stickers.

Very nice! Thanks for sharing.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Can you tell me what you used to remove the sticker glue? Was it acetone?

It's interesting how much the sticker and glue weight. Campy Bora wheels use a water-transfer decal that supposedly weigh a lot less than stickers. I'm thinking of getting these as a set of backup wheels to my Boras. I have a 11-34 cassette that I use for big climbing days and these wheels look to be fantastic for climbing. Once the stickers are off they are a bit lighter than my Bora 50's.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ferrarista

by ferrarista

pdlpsher1 wrote:

Can you tell me what you used to remove the sticker glue? Was it acetone?

It's interesting how much the sticker and glue weight. Campy Bora wheels use a water-transfer decal that supposedly weigh a lot less than stickers. I'm thinking of getting these as a set of backup wheels to my Boras. I have a 11-34 cassette that I use for big climbing days and these wheels look to be fantastic for climbing. Once the stickers are off they are a bit lighter than my Bora 50's.

You can check this thread about ideas on products to use. http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=113&t=137898&start=45

I used a product called zep powersolv 5000 which worked very well. I'm sure wd40 would work very well too. I have used wd40 several times to remove the sticker residues and it works good. Just make sure you have some good rubbing alcohol with high percentage like 90% and clean the rim well.

you can also use a hair dryer and use the heat to peel it off. It didn't work very well for me, but most likely I didn't put enough heat.

Yes Bora use water transfers which are under a layer of clearcoat.
If you get the Quattros, jut make sure to upgrade the bearings because stock ones are crap. Fortunately it is easy and not expensive to upgrade. SKF, Japanese or hybrid ceramic will do.
██

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

ferrarista wrote:You can check this thread about ideas on products to use. http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=113&t=137898&start=45

Thank you ferrarista.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

ferrarista wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:33 pm
PrimO wrote:
ferrarista wrote:Here is the front wheel without stickers.

I bought the bearings here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/17x30x7 ... 0.0.4Bm7rY

These have silicon nitride balls and abec 5. I took off the seal of a bearing to check and the balls are black. When they are white its zirconia balls which are not as good.

I bought six bearings. Will see how long they last, but first impression is good.
I'm presuming they use the same bearings front and rear and two per wheel?
Same 6903 front and back. Two per wheel.
ferrarista,

Did you also change out the two bearings inside the freewheel hub? I think those two bearings are slightly smaller than 6903. I believe they are 2 x 6803 (17x26x5mm). If I'm correct you would need a total of six bearings, 4 x 6903 and 2 x 6803.

ferrarista

by ferrarista

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:32 am
ferrarista wrote:
PrimO wrote:
ferrarista wrote:Here is the front wheel without stickers.

I bought the bearings here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/17x30x7 ... 0.0.4Bm7rY

These have silicon nitride balls and abec 5. I took off the seal of a bearing to check and the balls are black. When they are white its zirconia balls which are not as good.

I bought six bearings. Will see how long they last, but first impression is good.
ferrarista,

Did you also change out the two bearings inside the freewheel hub? I think those two bearings are slightly smaller than 6903. I believe they are 2 x 6803 (17x26x5mm). If I'm correct you would need a total of six bearings, 4 x 6903 and 2 x 6803.
No I did not since its not worth it. They only have one seal on the outside so they roll better already. Biggest difference is with the 6903 bearings. Also another way to have less drag is to not torque too high the DS freehub nut. Some people put a lot of force and that compresses more the freehub bearings which adds drag and they don't last as long. What I do is put a little line of loctite blue perpendicular on the axle threads and torque it just enough. Once the wheel is installed on the bike , adjust the preload on the NDS just until there is no more side play in the wheel. Ride the bike around the block and recheck the preload.
It is a night and day difference compared to the stock setup.

You can go hybrid ceramic abec 5 like these. I've used some of these bearings and are pretty good and not that expensive. He already sells them in packs of four.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/6903-2RS-4-PIEC ... 4d1f0e2cba

Or you can go premium chrome steel and balls. They are still abec 5 so they rolls smoothly and will last longer since ceramic balls are harder than steel. The ceramic bearings are about 2 grams less per bearing compared to full steel.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/6903-2RS-4-QTY- ... 4d4c26314b
██

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

ferrarista wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:25 pm
pdlpsher1 wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:32 am
ferrarista wrote:
PrimO wrote:
ferrarista,

No I did not since its not worth it. They only have one seal on the outside so they roll better already. Biggest difference is with the 6903 bearings. Also another way to have less drag is to not torque too high the DS freehub nut. Some people put a lot of force and that compresses more the freehub bearings which adds drag and they don't last as long. What I do is put a little line of loctite blue perpendicular on the axle threads and torque it just enough. Once the wheel is installed on the bike , adjust the preload on the NDS just until there is no more side play in the wheel. Ride the bike around the block and recheck the preload.
It is a night and day difference compared to the stock setup.

You can go hybrid ceramic abec 5 like these. I've used some of these bearings and are pretty good and not that expensive. He already sells them in packs of four.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/6903-2RS-4-PIEC ... 4d1f0e2cba

Or you can go premium chrome steel and balls. They are still abec 5 so they rolls smoothly and will last longer since ceramic balls are harder than steel. The ceramic bearings are about 2 grams less per bearing compared to full steel.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/6903-2RS-4-QTY- ... 4d4c26314b
Thank you for the detailed reply. I will definitely consider upgrading my bearings. I just bought a Park bearing press tool/kit and I intend to change out all bearings myself from now on.

Chris3g

by Chris3g

I changed the outer 6803 in my freehub as I found that it had very quickly become noisy and gritty - just a few hundred miles and when I pulled the seal off the grease was completely brown with dirt. I swapped it out with a dual seal hybrid ceramic to hopefully prevent it from happening again. The inner 6803 is held in with a circlip that I am assuming would be a pain to reinstall, so I left that bearing alone since it seemed fine for now.

FWIW the freehub bearings easily go in and out without a press if you heat it up a bit.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

The 6803 bearings in my Bora 50 freehub are getting gritty. I plan to replace them. I also have a set of the Quattros hence my questions on bearings earlier. I get the impression that the freehub bearings are the ones to wear out first. I don't know why. Here's a very good video/tutorial on how to replace the freehub bearings. They didn't cover replacing the hub bearings.....see the guy says the hub bearings are still in good shape.

Can someone tell me if the stock 6903 bearings have dual seals?

The video also covers removal and installation of the C clip.

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/videos/bik ... eehub-body

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Another question. What's the best way to knock or pull out the 6903 bearings in the hub body? Did you use a punch or some kind of bearing puller tool? Thanks.

ferrarista

by ferrarista

The stock 6903 have dual seals. A quick look of the bearing number on the seal will tell you. It is 6903-2rs.
I just use a punch to take them out or you can do it with a flat screw driver tapping equally around the bearing. Best way is with a punch. They usually come out easily.

If your freehub bearings are new I would not change them now. Maybe just pop out the outside bearing and add grease to make it last longer. You can tap the freehub on something flat and the bearing usually comes out easily. If not with something thin and sharp you can take off the seal and add the grease. Just becareful not to damage the seal. The inside bearing you can use some c-clip pliers to remove the c-clip.
██

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

ferrarista wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:25 pm
The stock 6903 have dual seals. A quick look of the bearing number on the seal will tell you. It is 6903-2rs.
I just use a punch to take them out or you can do it with a flat screw driver tapping equally around the bearing. Best way is with a punch. They usually come out easily.

If your freehub bearings are new I would not change them now. Maybe just pop out the outside bearing and add grease to make it last longer. You can tap the freehub on something flat and the bearing usually comes out easily. If not with something thin and sharp you can take off the seal and add the grease. Just becareful not to damage the seal. The inside bearing you can use some c-clip pliers to remove the c-clip.
Thanks Ferrarista.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I took out the 6803 bearings from my freehub. It was more difficult than what it appeared in the video. See the attached pic. The bearing with the brown grease is the one from the outside. These are from my Boras and they are still in decent shape. However once you remove them they are no longer reusable. So I plan to get replacement ceramic hybrid bearings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I didn't want to risk damaging the hub shell while removing the bearings with a punch. So I bought a bearing puller kit on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/301962586346

ferrarista

by ferrarista

Its always good to have, but if you are not reusing the bearings its not necessary. Punching out the bearings doesn't damage the shell. That's how service center do it to take off old cartridge bearings.
██

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com