Bora One 35 Clincher vs Fulcrum Racing Quattro Carbon - Clin

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sawyer

by sawyer

mcjayw wrote:Fulcrum is heavier than Bora. And I know that Fulcrum use lower grade parts than Bora.
So I prefer Bora.

Which parts in the 40T are lower grade than Boras?
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

ichobi

by ichobi

mcjayw wrote:Fulcrum is heavier than Bora. And I know that Fulcrum use lower grade parts than Bora.
So I prefer Bora.

Not sure where you get that from. They are like for like in terns of material and design except spoke patterns and rim depth. Check the new Fulcrum Speed line up. They are Bora one and Ultra equivalence but with different rim height. The rest use the same technology. Only heavier than bora 35 because their rim are taller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PrimO

by PrimO

I bought the Quattro Carbons. They appear very similar to the Fulcrum Speed 40 and I would argue that theyre the same rim with regular O/S hubs as opposed to the USB hubs on the Speed 40. The spokes are steel compared to aluminium on the Speed 40's.

The claimed weight from Fulcrum for the Quattro is 1555g which is incorrect. Mine with Shimano freehub weigh 1482g (Fr-650g/Rr-832g) which is very favourable when you consider that they don't need rim tape which most other similar wheels do adding anywhere from 20-30g to the overall weight of the wheelset.

ardi

by ardi

upside wrote:Have the Bora and couldn't be happier. Just for reference, I have owned soooo many high end wheels and the Bora's have ended buying anymore wheels. The Bora's tick ALL the boxes.. at least for me. Also been running tubeless (Schwalbe Pro One's) the best a both worlds meaning the plus of tubulars and clinchers.

Hi Upside, do you use sealant in the Bora Clincher / Schwalbe Pro-one ? Which sealant? Do you use tubeless tape inside to protect the carbon rim-bed from sealant? How many layers? Thanks !!

On my tubeless experience:
Converted Shamal Mille (non-two way fit) on Schwalbe Pro-One tubeless: Stan's sealant on two layers of Stan's 21mm tape. Good & reliable seal. Pumped on floor pump.

thp

by thp

Anymore actual weights on these? If they are reliably under 1500gr I'd do those over a Bora35 for the $ savings. How large is the valve drilling? 6mm vs 8mm?

spartan

by spartan

my bora one 35mm clinchers weigh 1390gm. bonus they do not require rim strips saves additional 40gm ;)
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

Suleimen

by Suleimen

Actual weight of Fulrcum Quattro - 1430 gr
i think 1555 gr - its weight with QR(115 gr)

asiantrick

by asiantrick

So I prefer Bora.

You have no idea what you're talking about. Stop spreading false info.

It's heavier because it's taller, not because lower grade parts. I have both the Fulcrum Speed40 as well as the Bora35. They're practically the same wheel, just different height.

PrimO

by PrimO

Suleimen wrote:Actual weight of Fulrcum Quattro - 1430 gr

My Quattro Carbons with Shimano freehub are 1481g. I have read a few reviews and they have given similar weights (+/-10g)

I have no idea where the 1555g came from as the skewers weight 110g so it doesn't add up no matter what way you do the math.

ferrarista

by ferrarista

PrimO wrote:

My Quattro Carbons with Shimano freehub are 1481g. I have read a few reviews and they have given similar weights (+/-10g)

I have no idea where the 1555g came from as the skewers weight 110g so it doesn't add up no matter what way you do the math.

The shimano freehub on the Quattro carbon is steel. You can swap to the white Bora shimano freehub CAM-FH-BO015X1.It is aluminum with a plasma treatment to make it harder. It weighs around 40-50 grams less than the steel freehub. An easy way to shed some weight.
██

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Quattro carbons as everyday wheels on the Allez are looking appealing :)
Using Tapatalk

PrimO

by PrimO

ferrarista wrote:
PrimO wrote:

The shimano freehub on the Quattro carbon is steel. You can swap to the white Bora shimano freehub CAM-FH-BO015X1.It is aluminum with a plasma treatment to make it harder. It weighs around 40-50 grams less than the steel freehub. An easy way to shed some weight.

No unfortunately the freehub on Quattro Carbons is already the white alloy version, so weight is as low as its going to be.

ferrarista

by ferrarista

PrimO wrote:
ferrarista wrote:
PrimO wrote:

No unfortunately the freehub on Quattro Carbons is already the white alloy version, so weight is as low as its going to be.

You are right. I thought they installed the steel version, but it does come with the alu shimano version already. My bad. :beerchug:
██

kruger

by kruger

On Quattros Racing Carbon since yesterday :D
1455g out of the box.
With contis s2 25mm - 27mm actual width when installed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBjwqwGHd2o

Last edited by kruger on Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kruger

by kruger

And more photos from the first ride today: