Bora One 35 Clincher vs Fulcrum Racing Quattro Carbon - Clin

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bondurant

by Bondurant

ferrarista wrote:Its always good to have, but if you are not reusing the bearings its not necessary. Punching out the bearings doesn't damage the shell. That's how service center do it to take off old cartridge bearings.
Sorry to hijack but on a similar note can anyone recommend a good quality hub bearing press kit?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Bondurant wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:20 pm
ferrarista wrote:Its always good to have, but if you are not reusing the bearings its not necessary. Punching out the bearings doesn't damage the shell. That's how service center do it to take off old cartridge bearings.
Sorry to hijack but on a similar note can anyone recommend a good quality hub bearing press kit?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
There are two companies that make bicycle specific bearing press kits, Wheels Manufacturing and Park. After some research the Park tool set stands out. The Park tool is as complete as WM's set and costs a lot less. I just bought the Park tool set and I look forward to servicing my own bearings.

https://www.parktool.com/product/hub-be ... -set-hbp-1

Ferrarista,

I had some trouble getting the 6803 bearings out of the freewheel hub. Maybe it's due to the small size of the freewheel hub. It was difficult to hold the hub and the punch with one hand and the hammer with the other hand. I have four sets of wheels so I'm OK investing money in the tools. Originally I was looking at the puller kit from Wheels Manufacturing. But it costs $175. Then I found an identical set on Fleabay for $42. I couldn't pass up the savings.

Thanks for your posts and getting us interested in changing out our bearings. Now I gotta decide what bearings to get.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bondurant

by Bondurant

Many thanks pdlpsher1

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I found this bearing kit (6 pieces) on eBay if anyone is also interested in upgrading all six bearings. I have purchased things from the HubDoctor before and he's a reputable and knowledgeable seller.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FULCRUM-QUATTR ... 4d51d22a1c

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I managed to press in new ceramic bearings (6803 2RS) in the freehub today, using the newly acquired Park Tool bearing press set. It was my first time pressing bearings. I had a lot of fun in the process and the end result is a new set of smooth bearings. The new bearings have double seals. The stock bearings only had one seal facing out. The double seals might add a tiny bit of drag but I think it's well worth it. See the pics I posted earlier on dirt intrusion on the 6803 bearings. Thanks to all who contributed to this thread.

apricotwalnut

by apricotwalnut

let's choose the most beautiful one. If I have to choose, i'll choose Bora.

mriddle

by mriddle

Just wondering if anyone has any additional or updated comments regarding the Fulcrum Quattro’s performance after upgrading the bearings.

I’m interested in the Quattro’s because you can remove the decals. I’ve never used the lower range/cartridge bearing Campy hubs.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

The original Fulcrum sealed bearings aren't bad. It's just that sealed bearings in general have more seal friction than the cup/cone bearings used in the higher end Fulcrum/Campy and Shimano wheels. It's a small difference and one could easily argue it doesn't matter on the road. But for me I like the cup/cone bearings. I ended up selling my Quattros and got a pair of Campy Bora 35 Ultras. Now I have two sets of Boras, Bora One 50 and Bora Ultra 35. If you can afford it go with the Boras. Otherwise the Quattros is an excellent value if you don't mind sealed bearings.

kervelo

by kervelo

I just noticed that C-bear has bearing kits for the Fulcrum Quattro too.
https://www.c-bear.com/en/products/hub- ... um-quattro

Does anyone have any experience of the C-bear bearing kits?