Vittoria Graphene Plus tyres

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Thought I would give my thoughts on the new Vittoria's (that I'd shown in a previous thread). They're not for sale, but rather provided to anyone who was a part of their 'influencer' program.

Gave them an honest run and popped my review in here. No doubt they'll be popular when released - especially if the Rubino comes with a tan sidewall option. Just not so sure about their claims for speed.

Either way, my 2 cents worth. YMMV.

http://nicksquillari.com.au/VittoriaGraphenePlus

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

Have you considered doing roller testing for Crr? It's tough to do that on the road.

If they aren't the fastest tires, then I don't see any point. They are heavy... tubeless compatible? Carbon beads?
formerly rruff...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jeffy

by jeffy

was interested in reading, i imagine the following is nothing important ... just letting you know

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

WMW wrote:Have you considered doing roller testing for Crr? It's tough to do that on the road.

If they aren't the fastest tires, then I don't see any point. They are heavy... tubeless compatible? Carbon beads?

Really not sure, given this result, what could be done to make them any sort of challenger to the leading clinchers. And what use is a better roller test if it doesn't translate to real world performance?

I wanted these tyres to be quick. I did.

jeffy - ta. My site got hacked months ago by some Palestinian group. No lie Thought all signs of them had been cleaned up. Seems not. It's safe. They just hijacked stuff on the back end so I might somehow accidentally post their propaganda... :|

Marin

by Marin

Any chance you could try a slow rolldown test?

I do one in the garage of our condo, and it separarates really well, with Turbo Cottons just edging out Conti Force / GP TT, etc.

Just roll down a small ramp and see how far you go before you have to put your feet down.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

TP, after that review, it will be interesting to see whether Vittoria graduates you to Influencer alumnus status.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Just thought I'd pitch my opinion on the tyre testing. If we assume that all conditions were constant (I hope they were...) then the Specialized tyres may have tested faster as they're older<citation needed>. I've read that if a tyre is fresh out of the box it may be a little "stiff" which can slow them down a little<citation needed>. Just wondering, were the wheels in a similar condition? Where you running the same inner tube? How stable was the atmospheric pressure when you were testing? I ask because your tests suggest a 0.27% difference, with only 1 run, and unknown conditions that is well within error, if we used the null hypothesis that the vittoria tyres are not the fastest tyre ever, the results do not have enough statistical significance to reject the null hypothesis.

Also, a useful qualitative (not quantitate) test would be to put tyres of similar age on the wheels (I do it at ~500km), inflate to the same pressure and 'bounce' them off the floor. The tyres which bounce higher (generally) correspond to having a lower Crr (more energy is conserved)<citation needed>. Be careful with your errors on this one, despite not being a quantitative test you should still estimate the uncertainties on your bounce height. It's really only useful if you've never had a set of tyres before and you just want to get a ball park of how fast they might be (compared to another tyre). If you get a chance to do this please do let us know about the results :)

Sorry if any of the above wasn't understandable...
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

measuring Crr on the road is very hard. Seeing a small difference is impossible as the margin of error in the power meter measurements is 1.5% perhaps and the difference between the two tyres may be less than 2W at the speed tested so any difference will not show up.

sawyer

by sawyer

Nice review Nick - I need to get on the "influencer" programme! Keen to try these next summer

I ride Vittoria a lot ... my experience:

(tubs):

>Corsa CX II - fast but no grip in wet. Dangerous

>Corsa CX III - as above but with good grip in wet and dry. Very nice

>SC - as CXIII (think they are the same tyre?) ... feel faster tbh, but probably just good days

>SR - nice option. Bit slower than CXIII/SC but significantly more puncture resistance and I think
more grip (did some wet Dolomites on them this year and they were great) ... 24mm volume is a nice size

>CG - always felt sluggish to me (in 24mm size). CRR tests seem to support this. Test worst than Conti Comps/Sprinters FWIW

Never tried SLs due to puncture risk, though for rides with minimal puncture risk they look a really nice option
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Marin

by Marin

Aren't the SLs the same as the CX just with slick tread?

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

istigatrice wrote:If we assume that all conditions were constant (I hope they were...)
How stable was the atmospheric pressure when you were testing?

Same question. Was stated in the article. As was the answer to below.

istigatrice wrote:I've read that if a tyre is fresh out of the box it may be a little "stiff" which can slow them down a little

istigatrice wrote:if we used the null hypothesis that the vittoria tyres are not the fastest tyre ever, the results do not have enough statistical significance to reject the null hypothesis.

But...that's not the claim. At least from Vittoria. We could make the same null hypothesis about the Specialized. This is stats version of Russell's Teapot. Fact is testing like this has been done before and differences in CRR between tyres has been found.

I also openly admit there's some 'bro science' to this (in spite of Chung Aerolab Protocal able to be applied to it and would still support the above stated outcome) and are simply my findings. Spin the results how you will, I don't mind.

istigatrice wrote:Sorry if any of the above wasn't understandable...

Plenty of us got through first year Uni Research Methods ;)

measuring Crr on the road is very hard. Seeing a small difference is impossible as the margin of error in the power meter measurements is 1.5% perhaps and the difference between the two tyres may be less than 2W at the speed tested so any difference will not show up.

Not in the experience of myself or my coach.

I need to get on the "influencer" programme! Keen to try these next summer

Regardless of their speed claims, they are a terrific looking tyre. Managed to make a set of Racing 7's look good enough that I've had more comments on setup than I've had with most race wheels I've used. Grip also certainly feels better than previous offerings from Vittoria.

sawyer

by sawyer

Tinea Pedis wrote:
I need to get on the "influencer" programme! Keen to try these next summer

Regardless of their speed claims, they are a terrific looking tyre. Managed to make a set of Racing 7's look good enough that I've had more comments on setup than I've had with most race wheels I've used. Grip also certainly feels better than previous offerings from Vittoria.

:) they look at bit like Veloflex Records to me

Have you tried the SR? Grip is impressive
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

boysa

by boysa

+1, Sawyer, I wholeheartedly concur with your breakdown of the Vittoria line. The CX II were scary with even a few drops of dew on the road. Most recently, I've been using the SR and the grip has been outstanding, and I too like the bit of extra width. I'd like to get my hands on these new tires, however. Thanks for the review, Nick!
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

jeffy

by jeffy

it is a shame, and perhaps a little odd that the tubeless corsa is only coming in 23mm

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

helldiver

by helldiver

Interesting review. I will just share my experience with the Vittoria Corsa SL (Slick) tubulars in 24mm width. I bought them more then 2 months ago, i mounted them on Bora One wheels (2015 wider rim version, used the new Vittoria magic mastik glue). I have ridden almost 2500km on them, partially on very bad roads with broken tarmac and huge potholes everywhere with only one puncture at the front at ~1700km mark (piece of glass, 2-3ml of stans sealant fixed it permanently), the thread still seems to be OK even on rear, although with many cuts. I cannot comment on wet traction, dry traction seems to be good, comfort is fine, when pumped to ~100psi the width is almost exactly like the brake track of the rim (24,2mm). I have one spare left, when i try to judge the smoothness of the sidewall (feel when rolled between my fingers), it's noticeably harsher/less smooth then Veloflex Carbon tubular which i also bought despite both having the same 320tpi construction.