Alu Clinchers with Ceramic/dark Brake Tracks

Everything about building wheels, glueing tubs, etc.
jrmynthn
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:27 pm

by jrmynthn

There are some Pacenti SL23 version 1's that have a black brake surface. I have a pair and wrote an initial impressions blog about them here. Click here to read it

I'd heard all the horror stories about how fast the black wears off on these dark surfaces but it's held up better than I expected. Most wear is actually from tire levers along the edges while swapping tires. There are photos on the blog. I'm going to add updates as they wear since this seems to be a popular question and there is not a lot of info or photos out there.

by Weenie


r0ddy
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:34 am

by r0ddy

Why not get a set of rims anodised black yourself, it's not expensive

Titanium22
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 7:57 pm

by Titanium22

Mavic do the open pro rim with a ceramic coating. I don't know what colour it is or how it lasts though? I did hear someone say the rims and tyres stay clean though, not like aluminium in the wet that turns everything black.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart
Posts: 2025
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:00 pm
Location: Sydney, Aus.

by RichTheRoadie

Spessartpantani wrote:Any news from Mr. Watson an his Dark matter Rims? Anyone already seen one of the Rims for real?

He's having trouble getting them finalised - not his fault (part of it is due to the US shipping strike), and I believe he will get there, but it's taking MUCH longer than he (or we) thought.

User avatar
sugarkane
in the industry
Posts: 1800
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:14 am
Location: SYD
Contact:

by sugarkane

Yup very sad!! I really want the dark matters to materialise

Lugan
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:02 pm

by Lugan

Spessartpantani wrote:Any news from Mr. Watson an his Dark matter Rims? Anyone already seen one of the Rims for real?

Bumping this thread up. I'm also looking for ceramic-coated (or similarly tough) brake tracks on wider aluminum road rims for my rain/winter bike (I live in Seattle and ride in rain a lot). I'm looking for braking consistency and power when wet, not aesthetics.

I owned a set of Ligeros from half a decade ago that had a durable and grippy ceramic coating. Those were great wheels for a few years for me. Any update from anyone on this new incarnation of Ligero Wheelworks and their Dark Matter rims? Anyone actually riding the rims?

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart
Posts: 2025
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:00 pm
Location: Sydney, Aus.

by RichTheRoadie

Lugan wrote:Any update from anyone on this new incarnation of Ligero Wheelworks and their Dark Matter rims? Anyone actually riding the rims?

I've been waiting for them for a year now. Mr. Watson has been very quiet over the last few months...

L3X
Posts: 306
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:39 pm

by L3X

Maybe add some Ryde rims with CSS braking to your list?
Image


User avatar
sugarkane
in the industry
Posts: 1800
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:14 am
Location: SYD
Contact:

by sugarkane

L3x what rims are those exactly and how dark is the CSS coating cause it looks pretty light and there is no mention of 'dark' rims on their web site

mariovalentim
Posts: 226
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:03 am

by mariovalentim

L3X wrote:Maybe add some Ryde rims with CSS braking to your list?
Image


what rims are those? doesn't seem to be listed on ryde.nl under css...
http://www.ryde.nl/rims-search---4-8-

Lugan
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:02 pm

by Lugan

Thanks for the tip, L3X. Those are some heavy rims at 700+ grams! Here is a little more information about this braking surface: http://www.ryde.nl/carbide-supersonic-css . It says,

Carbide supersonic (CSS)

> Our highest quaiity for optimal braking

>Almost everlasting sides.

> Special brake blocks required, produced by Magura, Koolstop, Swissstop

> Optimal brakeperformance in wet weather conditions.

> CSS is a Ryde Patented design

User avatar
sugarkane
in the industry
Posts: 1800
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:14 am
Location: SYD
Contact:

by sugarkane

Yep but the pictures show a sliver brake track.. And I'f you change the exposure of the above photo I don't think we have a dark grey or black track either

NovemberDave
Posts: 196
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:42 am
Contact:

by NovemberDave

The Ryde Pulse Series is available with the black brake tracks for 2016. We have a set of Pulse Comps that we've been using for about a thousand miles so far and they're quite nice. The off center rear rim is a plus. Weights are around 430g/rim from memory (traveling right now), built up nicely, and work well tubeless.

The black brake track, like every other black alloy brake track I've ever experienced, isn't going to last forever. The first really nasty rain ride rubbed some of the black off. If you ride exclusively in dry conditions, it would probably last quite well. Rain riding is going to kill it eventually.

by Weenie


Lugan
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:02 pm

by Lugan

NovemberDave wrote:The Ryde Pulse Series is available with the black brake tracks for 2016. We have a set of Pulse Comps that we've been using for about a thousand miles so far and they're quite nice. The off center rear rim is a plus. Weights are around 430g/rim from memory (traveling right now), built up nicely, and work well tubeless.

The black brake track, like every other black alloy brake track I've ever experienced, isn't going to last forever. The first really nasty rain ride rubbed some of the black off. If you ride exclusively in dry conditions, it would probably last quite well. Rain riding is going to kill it eventually.

Thanks Dave. But I'm looking for a hard ceramic or similar surface for grippy and immediate braking riding in rain about half the year. The anodized brake track route probably won't do the trick, as you noted.

(I could buy a disk brake rain bike, but my rain bike is a newish Hampsten Max and I'm not eager to give up an otherwise excellent bike for a braking system change).

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post