Alu Clinchers with Ceramic/dark Brake Tracks

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

petepeterson

by petepeterson

I have a thing for black rims and I'm looking to buy or build up a set of everyday clinchers with a ceramic black braking surface that will not rub off.
The front runner of this list are the new Shamals (for a campy bike) but I'd like to find a set rims and hand build. The Ligero are taller than I'd like at 29mm. Are there any others I'm missing from the below list?

Mavic Ksyrium Exalith
Campagnolo Shamal Mille
Hed Ardennes Black
Ligero VM29 Dark Matter
NOS Mavic Open Pro ceramic

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thegunner

by thegunner

the archetypes are (but those wear off pretty quick) - the dark ano ones stay on for a good bit, but aren't a TRUE black.

davidalone

by davidalone

you'll be hard pressed to find one that doesn't rub off. all of them eventually do, even exaltih and the mille. if you are scrupulous in cleaning your brake pads they will last longer.

other options are the fulcrum night series (rebranded shamal milles) and the flo 30 rims.
as the gunner said the archtypes hard ano will last a good while and are a decent budget option. but they are more dark grey than black.

RC856

by RC856

Hi, I've posted in the other thread about my Shamal Mille wheels.
I've used Shamals for years, and like you, I fancied the all black so replaced them with the Mille.
After two rides about about 130 miles, I've got patches of silver showing through the black.
I've been using the supplied blue pads and the second ride was wet but it would've been impossible to keep grit out the pads.
I've contacted Wiggle and Campag. I've to send pictures to Wiggle, haven't heard from Campag.
Wiggle weren't able to give me a definitive answer as to if or when the black might come off but think 130 miles is pretty quick, wet or not.
While you might expect the black to come off, if Campag had added a footnote/warning about this happening in the wet, I might've changed wheels saying as I knew it was going to rain.
Maybe I was just naïve to think they had invented a magical stay black material!! :(

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

I saw Vittoria was making wheels, and have a nice option, don't remember the name but it has exalith type of rim treatment, it has an asymetric rear rim with 2:1 lacing which probably makes for a very stiff and responsive wheel.
It has a 23 wide rim and iirc it's between 23 and 28mm deep.

They look a bit like Vision wheels/hubs, don't know if they are related.

Tomstr

by Tomstr

Ride it like you stole it

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

Yeah these are the wheels. Beauties

Delorre

by Delorre

RC856 wrote:Hi, I've posted in the other thread about my Shamal Mille wheels.
I've used Shamals for years, and like you, I fancied the all black so replaced them with the Mille.
After two rides about about 130 miles, I've got patches of silver showing through the black.
I've been using the supplied blue pads and the second ride was wet but it would've been impossible to keep grit out the pads.
I've contacted Wiggle and Campag. I've to send pictures to Wiggle, haven't heard from Campag.
Wiggle weren't able to give me a definitive answer as to if or when the black might come off but think 130 miles is pretty quick, wet or not.
While you might expect the black to come off, if Campag had added a footnote/warning about this happening in the wet, I might've changed wheels saying as I knew it was going to rain.
Maybe I was just naïve to think they had invented a magical stay black material!! :(

Any update on this? Almost 2000 miles on Mille's here and still like new :D

RC856

by RC856

Lucky you!
Wiggle have asked me to send them the wheels but I don't know if this is for a replacement or inspection. I'm waiting for a reply.
A local shop contacted their Campag dealer for me and he's not dismiss it as tough luck as yet.

steventran

by steventran

Happy to see that exalith-type rims are available for handbuilt wheels. Had no idea about the Ligeros. Pricey, though.

xplaza

by xplaza

I emailed Hed asking if Belgiums rims will be available with their new braking surface, never got a reply :\

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

The HED Belgium blacks won't make it out as a rim only product for a minimum of 12 months.
I buy belgims for wheel building so I have the inside line. My distributor is hanging out with the HED guys at sea otter right now
I'm getting some dark matters to check out, can't wait. The reason they are expensive is the coating costs more than the rims

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The new archetype grey rkm is simply an anodised surface like the black. It will wear quickly. If you good braking and rims wich all all black get disc brakes.

steventran

by steventran

Sugarkane, please share your experience with the dark matters when you get the chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spessartpantani

by Spessartpantani

Any news from Mr. Watson an his Dark matter Rims? Anyone already seen one of the Rims for real?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com