Alu Clinchers with Ceramic/dark Brake Tracks

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Alumen

by Alumen

They are a solid build, but the freehub is a weak spot. My one just lasted for only 3k... And a replacing freehub is relatively expensive compared with other brands. Would not buy them again.
CAAD 13 Disc
CAAD 10 2015 R.I.P.
Kona Kahuna

28, the real 25

gotgame

by gotgame

i had in the past mavic exalith versions ( cosmic and ksyrium) i personally used a set of cosmic exalith for a short period and after 2 months when i took them off, the braking surface was still looking like new. braking modulation was better than the carbon equivalent.

i have tested campagnolo shamal ( same as fulcrum zero nite) and the braking feel is similar to exalith. very nice wheels.

is true, after around 3000km the brake surface starts to show the alloy colour and black starts to fade off.

PS: if anyone interested, i have a set of shamal mille brand new incl all accesories for sale at a good price :) PM me
Colnago e1 gazzetta dello sport - sz52s / Pinarello gan RS ulterga di2 - sz52 / Caadx 2019 vulcano green sz54

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

gotgame wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:01 pm
i had in the past mavic exalith versions ( cosmic and ksyrium) i personally used a set of cosmic exalith for a short period and after 2 months when i took them off, the braking surface was still looking like new. braking modulation was better than the carbon equivalent.

i have tested campagnolo shamal ( same as fulcrum zero nite) and the braking feel is similar to exalith. very nice wheels.

is true, after around 3000km the brake surface starts to show the alloy colour and black starts to fade off.

PS: if anyone interested, i have a set of shamal mille brand new incl all accesories for sale at a good price :) PM me
Discoloration after 3000km in dry conditions or you have been riding in foul-weather?
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

nachetetm

by nachetetm

Alumen wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:36 am
They are a solid build, but the freehub is a weak spot. My one just lasted for only 3k... And a replacing freehub is relatively expensive compared with other brands. Would not buy them again.
Are you talking only about your personal experience, or do you know other cases? You may have been unlucky, but if it happens frequently then those wheels are not a good purchase.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

slake21 wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:57 pm
stev0 wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:01 pm
Thought I'd post an updated list of alu clinchers with various "durable"/PEO/etc. dark brake tracks and ask people to post good/bad experiences (esp. on braking performance)
Able to find in depth reviews for the top three and much less on the rest.

ordered by price - mfg info (wheelset weight, internal rim width, spoke count):

Mavic Ksyrium Pro Exalith (1475g, 17mm, 18/20)
Campagnolo Shamal Mille (1459g, 17mm, 16/21)
DT Swiss PR1400 Dicut OXIC 21 (1450g, 18mm, 20/24) ~1500g actual
Boyd Altamont/Lite Ceramic 2nd gen (varies, 19.86mm, varies)
Vision Trimax 25 KB (1420g, 17mm, 20/24)
Vision Trimax 35 KB (1630g, 17mm, 16/21)
Vision Trimax 30 KB (1495g, 19mm, 16/21) ~1557g actual
also Fulcrum Racing Zero Nite, and HED Black series
Wheels above are quite narrow (e.g. inside and out) except for Boyd Altamont http://redkiteprayer.com/2018/10/more-p ... ont-wheels
Might as well get something with better hubs and yield extra watts with modern rim profile https://novemberbicycles.com/blogs/blog ... force-al33 :beerchug:
My weapon of choice is AForce AL33 with WI T11 hubs https://novemberbicycles.com/collection ... ts/al33cwi

Coating of Boyd Altamont after 8,000 miles of riding in all different types of terrain and weather conditions.

Image Image
Last edited by mpulsiv on Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

ardennes black and C24 are the only rim brake wheelsets I have left .. c24s were winter wheels and the Ardennes are on my wifes madone. The Ardennes are really really nice. I used them a bit on my Parlee(s) They look boss as well and the braking is great as expected.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

gangbang

by gangbang

Any chance Vision 30 KB will fit older SS EVO frame (before '15 model year)? What's your thought? Maybe with 23 tyres?

slake21

by slake21

gangbang wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:05 pm
Any chance Vision 30 KB will fit older SS EVO frame (before '15 model year)? What's your thought? Maybe with 23 tyres?
23mm will measure around 25mm, and 25 around 27, so whichever fits

asiantrick

by asiantrick

+1 for DT Swiss 1400 Dicut. I even rode in the rain and so far brake track had been rock solid. Wheels are stiff and bullet proof. I just love the understated logos, super stealthy. Been very happy with running GP4000 combo with this wheelset.

Alumen

by Alumen

What is the real world durability of the brake track compared with standard alloy brake tracks ? Do the dark brake tracks indeed last longer (regardless of the fact that the black look might get lost) ?
CAAD 13 Disc
CAAD 10 2015 R.I.P.
Kona Kahuna

28, the real 25

czarli

by czarli

Alumen wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:04 pm
What is the real world durability of the brake track compared with standard alloy brake tracks ? Do the dark brake tracks indeed last longer (regardless of the fact that the black look might get lost) ?
From my experiance I can confirm that OXIC coating from DT works great in dry conditions. In wet is very fragile, lasts very short and is not as good as advertised on DT website.

samarskyrider

by samarskyrider

czarli wrote:
Alumen wrote:
From my experiance I can confirm that OXIC coating from DT works great in dry conditions. In wet is very fragile, lasts very short and is not as good as advertised on DT website.

I'm in the middle of ordering dicut oxic or standard silver. Here in Russia it gets really dirty in the rain (lots of sand particles). How long will the coating live in your opinion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yinya

by yinya

Not very long

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

samarskyrider wrote:
czarli wrote:
Alumen wrote:

I'm in the middle of ordering dicut oxic or standard silver. Here in Russia it gets really dirty in the rain (lots of sand particles). How long will the coating live in your opinion?

If you are riding in the rain, then stick with silver brake track and Kool-Stop salmon pads. It doesn’t get any better than this. www.koolstop.com/english/dura_type.html

samarskyrider

by samarskyrider

mpulsiv wrote:
samarskyrider wrote:
czarli wrote:
Alumen wrote:

If you are riding in the rain, then stick with silver brake track and Kool-Stop salmon pads. It doesn’t get any better than this. www.koolstop.com/english/dura_type.html

Koolstop are my pads of choice for many years Image I don't necessarily ride in the rain, but when it gets you midride...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com