Alu Clinchers with Ceramic/dark Brake Tracks

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

L3X

by L3X

CSS is available for Ryde Pulse Sprint and Pulse Comp rims I believe. Also I dont think this is a layer added to the top of the rim but its fused with the alu. Anyway, just contact Ryde for the details.

What I can say is that I have several sets of MTB wheel with Ryde rims, they're really nice and light as well.

jrmynthn

by jrmynthn

jrmynthn wrote:There are some Pacenti SL23 version 1's that have a black brake surface. I have a pair and wrote an initial impressions blog about them here. Click here to read it

I'd heard all the horror stories about how fast the black wears off on these dark surfaces but it's held up better than I expected. Most wear is actually from tire levers along the edges while swapping tires. There are photos on the blog. I'm going to add updates as they wear since this seems to be a popular question and there is not a lot of info or photos out there.

Wanted to throw up a quick update here. As mentioned here recently the brake track coating takes a beating in the rain. Mine wore near right off in a rainy century ride with fast decents that required braking. I added images of the brake track to the original post from the quote above.

It has no effect on the ride quality of the wheels and is entirely aesthetic. There are not many image out there of a worn down coloured brake track so thought it could use a share.

Click here to read it

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

calleking

by calleking

Sorry if I missed it but there's currently no alu rim that stays black after riding in the wet?
That's a bit unfortunate as I really like the looks of all black/dark wheels.. i'm sure i'm not alone! :)
2022 Wilier Filante SLR Dura-Ace/Ultegra Di2 12sp
2021 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 2

Retired:
2018 S-Works Tarmac SL6 Sagan Superstar DA 9150
2016 Aeroad CF SLX UDi2
2016 CAAD12 - SRAM Red 22 - Hyper 50mm

joshvoulters

by joshvoulters

Mavic rims with Exalith and the Hed ardennes/ jet black range. Basically, those with a coating should last - those that are simply anodised won't

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Nero ceramic coating www.vittoria.com/wheel/elusion-nero

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

Lugan

by Lugan

mpulsiv wrote:Nero ceramic coating http://www.vittoria.com/wheel/elusion-nero

That's more like it. Wish they came in higher spoke counts than 16/21.

steventran

by steventran

Have any new alu rims with PEO brake tracks been released in the last few months?

Also, it seems like Ligero has disappeared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bellebikes
in the industry

by bellebikes

An interesting option to consider might behttp://kickstarter.aforcewheels.com (campaign going live this saturday)

Features a ceramic coating wich is durable and comes in all hole drilling combinations.

(It's my own company's product, I think It is fair to mention that).
http://www.bellebikes.com - info@bellebikes.com
Rides: Bellezza Stelvio <5kg and Bellezza CorsaX!

BugsBunny7788

by BugsBunny7788

I own a pair of 2015 Mavic R-SYS... and have done about 2000+km on them - 99% in the dry and few occasions in the wet. None of the coating has come off from normal braking. However, I was not careful on one or two occasions where I scratched them with my tools. It is a very thin coating - so if anything sharp/hard touches it the coating will come of very easily - but from normal braking I haven't seen any of it come off.

Lugan

by Lugan

A Force wheels seem interesting. Best of luck to your start-up effort!

I needed wheels sooner than that though. I just installed a set of Hed Ardennes Black, Stallion version (20-28 spokes). After one test ride, I can say that the braking using Swissstop blue pads is equal to other ceramic-tracked rims I have used in the past (which is to say really excellent). But I am disappointed with the lack of rear wheel stiffness of these wheels. I only weigh 180 pounds / 82 kg, and the rear flexes too much for my taste, causing brake rub that compelled me to back out the pad distance from the rims more than I'd like. I was surprised considering my weight is within the limit of the non-Stallion version of the wheels which have just 24 rear spokes. And these wheels are the updated 2016 version with improved rear hub flange geometry.

reknop

by reknop

Lugan wrote:
mpulsiv wrote:Nero ceramic coating http://www.vittoria.com/wheel/elusion-nero

That's more like it. Wish they came in higher spoke counts than 16/21.

And I'm curious if someone has these wheels in use ... :)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://www.cycling-review.net

burritoh

by burritoh

Stumbled on Ritchey's offering
http://ritcheylogic.com/superlogic-zeta

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

Lugan

by Lugan

I ordered those a few weeks ago when they were announced as finally being ready after some delays. Hoping brake track will be durable.

On another bike, I have Hed Jet 6 Blacks. They are a little heavy, but otherwise phenomenal. Surprisingly, I get no brake rub on a frame that Campy Bora One 50s used to rub in. The Heds are phenomenal in every way, and no, I don't feel the extra ~100g weight per wheel on the road.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com