Upgrading Fulcrum racing Zero with CULT/ CeramicSpeed ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

mvacolnago wrote:I replaced my USB bearings with cermamic speed bearings several years and many 1000's of kilometers ago. The harder bearings destroyed the standard bearing cups and the axel cones. replacing them with the harder CULT parts was very expensive.

That is why CULT bearings are so expensive (even though maybe unreasonably so). Not only do they have the ceramic bearings, but the cups and cones have the Chronitec treatment as well.
But will you notice the difference riding? Not likely. I like them because they seem impervious to water.
But I'm kind of agreeing with a previous poster who asked just how long you're going to agonizing over this decision @TonyM. You've started quite a few threads it seems asking essentially the same thing... The decision is yours. Best way to learn is to bite the bullet one way or another and experience things for yourself.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Many times i have asked this question and the answer comes out different pending on whom i ask. What i have been told is that ceramics was mainly for very high rotations (machine applications), much much higher than near possible in a bike.
Some say they're better for cycling also, some say we won't notice. Only thing i constantly have been told is that maintenance is more important and required more often.
Better roll you notice when you roll anything with ceramics (if it's quality), but how much is noted when we ad the resistance from chainline (jocket wheels), tires contact to ground (wheelset bearings) or stomping our pedals (BB bearings)? Maybe for pro riders arguing for 100's of seconds or maybe if a rider is simply very interested in the technique or high end stuff?
Anyway, ball grade quality is essential no matter steel or ceramic and for ceramic, you'll need treated races (if steel) or balls will be too hard for the races which will wear out very quickly.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

vanillaflyweight

by vanillaflyweight

Hi all,

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I noticed that the below retailer was offering a ceramic speed upgrade for Bora Ones.

https://www.bikebug.com/ceramicspeed-ca ... 88786.html

They clearly state that they only replace the bearings with ceramics and no mention of upgrading the races (leaving the untreated races in place).

Reading this thread confirms why this is a bad idea!

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

The Bora Ones already use loose ball ceramic bearings. I don't see how CeramicSpeed's loose balls are better than Campy's. The two sealed bearings in the freehub (same ones in the One's or Ultra's) are not ceramic. The main friction source in a sealed bearing is from the seals. And lowering the seal friction is not a good idea since low friction seals also mean low protection from dirt and water. In a nutshell this is purely a marketing ploy.