Velocite filament wound rims

Everything about building wheels, glueing tubs, etc.
Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Thanks for the contribution to science well now Victor needs to send his new/better rims to him for evaluation. I think most people are more interested in aero tests than reliability tests though...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

by Weenie

C36

by C36

TobinHatesYou wrote:Raoul Luescher finally got around to cutting up my Rev 35 TCD and came away impressed by its manufacturing quality. Now I’m wishing I had been able to get it warrantied back in 2016 (not Venn’s fault, but the wheelbuilder I went through.) Hah.

Great! I annoyed him of few messages to have it reviewed, was really interested to see how it looked like on the inside.
Would you remember the rim weight? I see the bed thickness is constant and fairly thick.

——————
2018: Cannondale SSevo2HM : 5860g
2000: R4000 caad5: junior bike restauration
1995: Indurain‘s Pinarello: restauration project

fogman

by fogman

Was that a disc brake rim that Raoul cut up in the YouTube video? I’m not sure if he mentioned that or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

fogman wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:06 am
Was that a disc brake rim that Raoul cut up in the YouTube video? I’m not sure if he mentioned that or not.

Yes it was.

romanmoser

by romanmoser

Nice to see others ww users on youtube good stuff ;) .I also loved my 35TCD while they lasted, stiff but very nice ride quality, not harsh at all.
I think that's me Raoul is talking about at the end.

Two wheelbuilders I follow a lot have been working with velocite/venn rims for a while now .Top wheels ( France) and German Lightness ( Yeah In germany you guess right) . They have the last venn var 507 TCD at 435 440gr/rim : 50mm high , 21 mm internal 28mm external / Announced weight is 460gr +-15gr on the website, i guess they have been optimized now to the last drop. Only left to update website Victor ;)

The var 45 TCD are at 440gr measured
but 30mm external and 5mm lower
I guess they are more suited to larger tires
and venn cx, gravel, all road more appropriate rims

So nice to have some competition and nice offerings between venn , munich composite, beast components etc
Because complete wheels except bora wto are meh for 25mm tires

charithah

by charithah

I just ordered a custom disc road wheel build direclty from Venn Cycling.

Var 45 TCD with DtSwiss 240s (upgraded 36T).

Having high hopes of them after reading this thread. :)

Petenats

by Petenats

Victor I’m about to press go on some Venn 37’s built up with Carbon Ti hubs from DCR. The rims look fantastic.

I’m planning on running them tubeless, possibly Conti 5000 TL’s. Is there a particular tyre size that testing has shown to work best? 25 or 28’s?

vmajor
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by vmajor

Good choice :) In all of our testing 25mm tires outperform 28mm when it comes to aerodyamics and cornering stability with 21mm rim internal width. 28mm tires tend to baloon out to 29-30mm and adopt a bulbous profile. This is however desirable if you intend to take your wheels off road a bit as it both greatly increases the contact patch, and protects your rim from rock impacts.

Petenats

by Petenats

Thanks Victor. I’ll look into some 25’s. These are going to be exclusively on road use...I’ve got the heavy original wheels for off roading until I can afford to change those.

Looking forward to getting them built up and rolling.

Pete

charithah

by charithah

Hi Victor. I placed an order for Var 45 TCD with DT Swiss 240. Planning to run GP5000 TL 28mm or 32mm. Given the internal width of Venn 45 which would suite best ? Based on your reponse to Petenats would there be high aerodynamics penalty on anything higher than 25mm ? My riding is mostly long distance hence comfort and reliability is more important than aerodynamics.

vmajor

by vmajor

I'd suggest 25mm because they will inflate to 26mm or so, and the 21m internal width of the rim will deliver ample air volume without adding excess weight. From the data that I have seen, combined with our own testing and my personal experience I do not recommend using 28mm tires on 21mm wide rims unless you intend to spend some time off road, or on gravel roads.

biwa

by biwa

vmajor wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 12:58 am
I'd suggest 25mm because they will inflate to 26mm or so, and the 21m internal width of the rim will deliver ample air volume without adding excess weight. From the data that I have seen, combined with our own testing and my personal experience I do not recommend using 28mm tires on 21mm wide rims unless you intend to spend some time off road, or on gravel roads.
Which 25mm tires are these? Only 26mm inflated with 21mm internal width rim? What's the pressure used?

vmajor

by vmajor

We saw this with Panaracer, IRC, Maxxis. Definitely not Schwalbe which tend to inflate large. Pressure was up to 110 PSI.

biwa

by biwa

Didn't realize Panaracer, IRC, etc. tires are this undersized. With 21 internal width, 25mm Conti/Vittoria tires routinely blow up to ~28mm even with 75-80 psi.

by Weenie

Digger90

by Digger90

vmajor wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 10:26 am
Few reasons:

1. The new factory has the market leading QC process and required equipment in place to ensure effectively perfect quality, or at the very least very consistent quality

2. Wet resin filament winding as used by the Venn Rev rims requires better environmental control than possible to achieve in China since the resin properties (viscosity primarily) change with temperature and humidity. This led to some rims having lower than expected lamination quality. Var process uses prepreg slit tape so the resin content is known, and curing properties are not affected by the environment. The downside is much higher cost.

3. I want us to make the best rims possible (no qualifiers) and the Var process achieves that.

Var in fact also looks rather cool, if a bit more subtle. Subtle is good for our OEM business since with the original Rev process we were the only source which made many OEMs reluctant to use them due to the problem of becoming captive to a single source of supply. Var superficially looks like UD... unless you look very closely like below :D

V.

Regarding your point 2 above.... apologies if I've missed this, but which country are the rims made in now?