Velocite filament wound rims

Everything about building wheels, glueing tubs, etc.
Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Pictures of the new finish?
Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

vmajor
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by vmajor

None yet... will share them once we have them. But imagine a dull carbon finish as all it is is a leveled (smoothed) raw carbon fiber composite. After first few braking sessions it gets a little glossier but remains mostly dull.

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

I can't say what exactly I have experience with filament wound carbon fiber is, but we do very cool structures on a much larger scale than what is needed for this.

Very fun seeing that head go through it's preprogrammed route.

Advantages are high compaction and tailorable resin content and tow tension. Disadvantage is needing a mandrel, having to deal with slip angles and bridging, and having to screed excess resin

vmajor

by vmajor

Controlling the resin content is the trickiest part, once we identified the correct resin viscosity. This took a while, but our rim weights are now stable and can get even the high Tg resins to flow well and be sufficiently tacky when we are winding rim braked rims.

bruto

by bruto

Are there any plans to offer these rims in retail separately, Victor? I can see the wheelsets, but Velocite's choice of hubs and drilling may not be optimal for everyone (well, that and the $1k price tag)
Also curious if you're going to make wider ones, following the current trends. 50-100mm wide carbon rims really need to get cheaper :p
I see Bitex (http://www.bitexhubs.com/htm/products_d ... e57bcc11b0 ) picked your rims up, but none can be seen in retail under their brand either - guess they're currently serving OEM market only?

vmajor

by vmajor

Retail... well we kind of do right now. We can sell the rims individually if you email us on service@velocite-bikes.com, but Venn is an OEM brand so we are more focused on OEM business at present.

bruto

by bruto

Thanks!

what about different rim profiles (wider, hookless, etc.)?

Although, I suppose, the manufacturing technology (machining out the extra carbon to make the tire bed) means you'll waste more fiber with wider rims
unless you can make the outer surface concave enough to be close to the target profile and reduce the amount of wasted material

Wonder if Zipp dimples are doable at all with FW technology :)

vmajor

by vmajor

Yes... in fact we do, almost :)

Venn REV 507 is coming out shortly and has a 50.7mm profile, and 28mm external width. It will have two internal width options, 19mm and 21mm, and three tire interface options: tubeless clincher, tubular and hookless.

Here is a CFD simulation video: https://youtu.be/BWki3E5tHD4

[deleted, no unsolicited advertising please.]

V.

bruto

by bruto

You mean to say that hookless sidewalls work on road tubeless rims?
thought that was a no-go at those pressures :)

vmajor

by vmajor

bruto wrote:You mean to say that hookless sidewalls work on road tubeless rims?
thought that was a no-go at those pressures :)

No, not yet they do not, but you can use these rims with wider tires and lower pressures. Internal width without hooks will be approx 24mm.

V.

bruto

by bruto

that would make for one standout XC or CX wheel :) even if unnecessarily heavy(ish) and pointlessly aerodynamic

vmajor

by vmajor

:) haha maybe, but think gravel bike, or a crossover, or even really a 29er - that would look cool actually.

bruto

by bruto

I see the 507s are made using CTL technology
Curious how you make the choice between that and FW for a particular product. 507s do have more room to display the FW gorgeousness :)

kobec

by kobec

How does the Continuous Tangent Layup design compare with the Filament Wound rims? The comparisons you have on your website seem to compare them to standard rims, but not to each other.

Would have thought there'd be a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality - but of course there could be many reasons....I'm curious why you added a different way to how you're manufacturing your rims and how you decide which rim/wheel gets which treatment (same as what bruto mentioned)....cost? innovation? limitations on deeper rims?

vmajor

by vmajor

I'll answer the last question first. The reason why there are two technologies, CTL and FW is due to the nature of our rim factory and the origin story of the FW rims. Short version is that FW rims are my idea, CTL rims are the rim engineer's idea. FW rims also use parts of the CTL technology for downstream processes.

Regarding why we do not have all rims in FW version, it has to do with tooling costs - FW rims are cheaper to manufacture as there is far less labour involved, but tooling costs more. Thus we decided not to open the winding tooling for every rim profile that we have.

The new 507 rims will be available in both FW and CTL versions so our automatic process is not limited to a shallow depth like the newly announced processes are.

FW process costs less than any manual layup process and it always results in a mechanically more consistent rim regarding of which manual process is used, or whose hands touch it - it. it is vastly superior to any hand made rim anywhere by any brand when it comes to consistency.

And lastly, in fact carbon fiber composite product manufacturing in the sporting goods industry is very broken. It has not progressed fundamentally for 30 years or so and it needs a shakeup - which is what we are doing now and in the future.

by Weenie