Velocite filament wound rims

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

trytogo

by trytogo

AJS914 wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:20 pm
So the real issue here is with PBK.
Did you make a conscious decision to disregard all the posts above so you could make a snarky comment?

jch3n

by jch3n

trytogo wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:08 pm
AJS914 wrote:
Did you make a conscious decision to disregard all the posts above so you could make a snarky comment?
He has a point..I've generally had good experiences with PBK but it seems that their inventory management can be lacking at times. I once bought a set of Zondas from them and waited a couple weeks for them to ship, only to find out that they weren't in stock after I inquired. They shouldn't be selling product they don't have on hand, IMO. If it was a pre-order scenario, then I'm not sure what you were expecting...

FWIW, I bought a set of Venn Rev 35 TCDs from PBK while they were on sale and they arrived without any issues. They only had the Campy freehub version, so I ordered a Shimano freehub directly from Venn, which also arrived without issue (and still a pretty good deal, all told).

Haven't had a chance to ride the wheels yet (still building up the bike), but looking forward to it! It's my first pair of carbon wheels!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

trytogo

by trytogo

jch3n wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:40 pm
trytogo wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:08 pm
AJS914 wrote:
He has a point..I've generally had good experiences with PBK but it seems that their inventory management can be lacking at times. I once bought a set of Zondas from them and waited a couple weeks for them to ship, only to find out that they weren't in stock after I inquired. They shouldn't be selling product they don't have on hand, IMO. If it was a pre-order scenario, then I'm not sure what you were expecting...

FWIW, I bought a set of Venn Rev 35 TCDs from PBK while they were on sale and they arrived without any issues. They only had the Campy freehub version, so I ordered a Shimano freehub directly from Venn, which also arrived without issue (and still a pretty good deal, all told).

Haven't had a chance to ride the wheels yet (still building up the bike), but looking forward to it! It's my first pair of carbon wheels!
Iv always had a mixed bag with PBK sometimes good, sometimes bad. Definitely are at least partially at fault, no denying that, but then again they are the ones who laid blame on Venn (ie they told me directly via email on the 3rd of July that order had never arrived from June 11th). Sorry to have to repeat that fact but some people here just seem to throw in their 2 cents while disregarding what has already been said.

In general, though PBK has been utterly useless thus far with their canned responses. I got a hold of someone today and they are now saying some time in October for delivery which is ridiculous. I pointed out that they have the campy set but I'm not going to be held accountable for paying for the adapter as a matter of principle. Was told the purchasing manager will get in touch with more comment.

As a backup I got in contact with Farsports about their new wide rims, 45mm is 28 external and 21mm internal, build weight with DT swiss 350 and centrelock is 1495g so tempted by that :o)

How are the 35s? Any impressions yet?

Harpoon

by Harpoon

I had an online chat with PBK about a week ago asking if/when they would be getting the Rev 507 TCD wheelset with a Shimano freehub back in stock.

Somebody was going to get back to the next day. I'm still waiting.

At £720 they are very tempting, even if I'd prefer CL to 6 bolt hubs.

jch3n

by jch3n

trytogo wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:20 pm
How are the 35s? Any impressions yet?
First ride on the new build today. The wheels accelerate and spin up nicely, plenty stiff for me. The bike as a whole feels spritelier than reviews/posts of the stock Trek Domane 4.5 Disc suggest, and I'm sure the wheels have something to do with it (plus my budget WW-ish build).
Attachments
domane.jpg

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

Just bought a new disc brake frame for myself which will require new wheels. Any news on the lighter version of the 507 that was in development? Also any plans for say a superlight tubular rim?

romanmoser

by romanmoser

Nope I had asked a few times but they were focusing on producing the actual rims and developping the 70 or 75mm high rim

I took the chance and ordered the 56mm ultra wide from LB
Weight range 460 to 475 gr so a little bit ligther than 507TCD manual layup ,
I can't tell wich one is faster in real conditions
That because of my '' recurrent '' issues with VENN 35TCD

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

I fail to understand how warranty issues and PBK delivery has anything to do with review of the wheels.
Customer service at PBK are bunch of imbeciles. I had to guide them how to do their job because they can't seem to apply basic logic to fundamental questions.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

vmajor wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:18 am
Rev (filament wound technology) rims are a little bit heavier for now, but as mentioned we have a solution for a 440g Venn Rev 507 TCD rim that I hope to have available within a few months. Testing and development take time...
Bumping this thread up again! Victor, what's the status of the lightened Rev 507 TCD? Looking to build two disc brake wheelsets for myself and the 507 is one of the candidates for the higher profile set…

trytogo

by trytogo

mpulsiv wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:51 pm
I fail to understand how warranty issues and PBK delivery has anything to do with review of the wheels.
Customer service at PBK are bunch of imbeciles. I had to guide them how to do their job because they can't seem to apply basic logic to fundamental questions.
Everything clearly outlined above. PBK to be fair worked with Venn to arrange a Shimano hub for the campag set they had in stock. I agree PBK have some weird ways but when I finally got through to a rep called Alex he really went above and beyond. Now as promised some pics and a brief impression.

I don't have calipers on me right now as I am traveling but had them on the TCR Advanced SL Disc and there was plenty of room same thing on the Scott Foil. 28mm Corsas sit ever so slightly out from the rim wall but almost flush. Running latex tubes with the tubeless tape that came with the rims still installed feels like butter 100% sold on wide rims and tyres.

Couple of flat rides and they feel very stiff which is great as I am 6'3 95kg. No wind the first 2 days but on the third it was very winding when I was descending cam out the forest and smacked full side wind. The Venns took it well and just a slight tug but no change in direction. Pretty much the same the rest of the way down you could feel some pull here and there but absolutely no different than my previous wheels on this bike that was about 30mm deep.

Looks wise they are stunning in person, much more so than you can show in pics, people do stare.

Mid ground: I can take or leave centrelock vs 6 bolt I have no preference but for some I am sure they would like to use ictechs etc. Front im running a 160mm brake design with cooling fins, its available through a few different rebrands but I believe the OEM is PRGcycle. Venn sell them on their site and superstar components in the UK have them under a different name. Stopping wise they are pretty close to my centrelines. Rear i run a 140 ai2.

Negatives - The spokes feel strong and came with very even tension all around but I would definitely have preferred CX-Ray blades even if that raised the price a bit.

TLDR- Very good wheels, great price and would recommend

trytogo

by trytogo

Also since this is ww I should add they cam in 26g lighter than their stated 1605g so that was a bonus as I think its the first ever wheel i have had that has come under the manufacturer claim.

trytogo

by trytogo

trytogo wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:59 pm
mpulsiv wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:51 pm
Everything clearly outlined above. PBK to be fair worked with Venn to arrange a Shimano hub for the campag set they had in stock. I agree PBK have some weird ways but when I finally got through to a rep called Alex he really went above and beyond. Now as promised some pics and a brief impression.

I don't have calipers on me right now as I am traveling but had them on the TCR Advanced SL Disc and there was plenty of room same thing on the Scott Foil. 28mm Corsas sit ever so slightly out from the rim wall but almost flush. Running latex tubes with the tubeless tape that came with the rims still installed feels like butter 100% sold on wide rims and tyres.

Couple of flat rides and they feel very stiff which is great as I am 6'3 95kg. No wind the first 2 days but on the third, it was very windy. When I was descending I came out the forest and got smacked by full side wind. The Venns took it well and just a slight tug but no change in direction. Pretty much the same the rest of the way down. You could feel some pull here and there but absolutely no different than my previous wheels on this bike that was about 30mm deep.

Looks wise they are stunning in person, much more so than you can show in pics, people do stare.

Mid ground: I can take or leave centrelock vs 6 bolt. I have no preference but for some, I am sure they would like to use ictechs etc. Front I'm running a 160mm brake designed with cooling fins, its available through a few different rebrands but I believe the OEM is PRGcycle. Venn sell them on their site and superstar components in the UK have them under a different name. Stopping wise they are pretty close to my centrelines. Rear I run a 140 Ashima Ai2.

Negatives - The spokes feel strong and came with very even tension all around but I would definitely have preferred CX-Ray blades even if that raised the price a bit.

TLDR- Very good performing wheels, great price, stunning looks and would definitely recommend. Ill update again after a few thousand k's.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

New wheels announced! Rim profile is now optimized to yield more watts. It's 30mm wide now.
https://shop.venn-cycling.com/index.php ... ment-wound
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

emotive

by emotive

mpulsiv wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:43 pm
New wheels announced! Rim profile is now optimized to yield more watts. It's 30mm wide now.
https://shop.venn-cycling.com/index.php ... ment-wound
The 21C inner should make for a nice 105% tyre to wheel ratio for larger 25mm tyres and smaller 28mm tyres.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jencvo

by jencvo

I've read the entire thread right now and there's barely any reviews on rim braking performance. I'm in the market for a new bike build and braking performance is important to know and understand since I'm going rim and not disc. I'm 83kg. Thanks!