Velocite filament wound rims

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tschabippe

by tschabippe

Hi,

any further reviews/experiencies on the Disc 507?
I am torn on which wheelset I shall throw my money to...
Thx!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

vmajor
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by vmajor

Just a heads up, the current wet filament wound range of rims is being phased out. We will soon have the 507 available as a Venn Var 507 TCD. More information about the Var process here: https://shop.venn-cycling.com/index.php ... echnology/

At the moment we have Var 35, 45 and 77.

V.

tschabippe

by tschabippe

Thanks for the info, does this mean the current 507 look will disappear and being replaced by the VAR look?

vmajor

by vmajor

That is correct. Var 507 rims are currently under development (tools were made months ago) and testing should commence within weeks. I expect and hope to have them available by July.

V.

tschabippe

by tschabippe

is there a specific reason why to phase out the REV's? I am about to let build a wheelset with these, but now I am kinda puzzled...

vmajor

by vmajor

Few reasons:

1. The new factory has the market leading QC process and required equipment in place to ensure effectively perfect quality, or at the very least very consistent quality

2. Wet resin filament winding as used by the Venn Rev rims requires better environmental control than possible to achieve in China since the resin properties (viscosity primarily) change with temperature and humidity. This led to some rims having lower than expected lamination quality. Var process uses prepreg slit tape so the resin content is known, and curing properties are not affected by the environment. The downside is much higher cost.

3. I want us to make the best rims possible (no qualifiers) and the Var process achieves that.

Var in fact also looks rather cool, if a bit more subtle. Subtle is good for our OEM business since with the original Rev process we were the only source which made many OEMs reluctant to use them due to the problem of becoming captive to a single source of supply. Var superficially looks like UD... unless you look very closely like below :D

V.

tschabippe

by tschabippe

Thanks, so the new VAR version rims will be different to the existing one's or are they the same?

vmajor

by vmajor

If you are asking about the 507, yes. Var 507 will be dimensionally identical to the Rev 507. The differences are on the inside.

V.

tschabippe

by tschabippe

Thanks again, last question, the existing VAR's (i.e 45 version) remain unchanged?

vmajor

by vmajor

Yes, Var 35, 45 and 77 remain unchanged.

Venn Var 45 TCD is very popular in Belgium for example so we have no plans on retiring it any time soon.

V.

tschabippe

by tschabippe

perfect, all questions answered, time to place an order ;-)

integration

by integration

I've only put about 160 km on the Var 45 TCC that I purchased recently. Wish I could put some more in, having to work continuous weekends keeps the rides limited.

I went from Giant's SLR1 carbon clinchers to this wheelset and it has been quite a noticeable improvement! There was some initial hesitation in putting on a slightly heavier wheelset but there are definitely have not been any drawbacks. It's been improvements all around: power transfer and acceleration feels improved- wheelset feels stiffer, holds speed better (more aero?), "feels" like rolling resistance has been reduced, does not feel heavier on climbs, brakes better, improvement in comfort (went from 17mm internally wide rims to 21mm), and the most crazy part that I don't get is even the handling of the bike feels sharper yet more stable at the same time?

When I went from alloy clinchers to carbon I could feel the improvement. Never expected a a very noticeable jump even between carbon clinchers. I'm really enjoying the Var TCC's great job on them, Victor!

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

vmajor wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 5:00 pm
Yes, Var 35, 45 and 77 remain unchanged.

Venn Var 45 TCD is very popular in Belgium for example so we have no plans on retiring it any time soon.

V.
www.probikekit.com no longer carry the wheels. Do you have any other distributors lined up?
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

vmajor

by vmajor

We have retailers (bike shops) in Belgium that sell our wheels and a few more in Germany. We are able to self distribute within the EU as we recently set up a good distribution system.

Regarding online shops, we are it at the moment.

We do have wheel builders in several regions around the world that use our rims to build custom wheels however. Others that do not currently use our rims are able to order them from us.

zinedrei

by zinedrei

it may have been asked before so apologies for repeating.

what are the hubs used? and will there be an xdr option?

tia...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com