Velocite filament wound rims

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

emotive

by emotive

vmajor wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:03 am
I never heard of that rule. Where was this mentioned?
Apparently it was Zipp who coined the 105% rule https://silca.cc/blogs/journal/part-5-t ... rodynamics

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

vmajor
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by vmajor

Ah I see. It is "must be at least 105%" rule.

The entire article is a great read and explains how things work and why our optimizer got the result that it did within the constraints we gave it.

Canch

by Canch

I've build up a couple of sets with Venn Rims.
I have never had any problems with building + riding them.

They are a real pleasure to build up because of the stiffness of the rim you easily get equal spoke tension. this is a whole other story with alu rims.

shannonlinnan

by shannonlinnan

Canch wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:32 pm
I've build up a couple of sets with Venn Rims.
I have never had any problems with building + riding them.

They are a real pleasure to build up because of the stiffness of the rim you easily get equal spoke tension. this is a whole other story with alu rims.

Incredibly hot bike! But please, replace those rotors with DA!

Marin

by Marin

Very bling. But please replace the rotors with normal ones without the funky wings inside.

shannonlinnan

by shannonlinnan

Hi all, I've been a long time visitor to the site and long time customer of starbike, but have never posted...

However, a recent build project has had me searching for parts. My wheelset of choice fell through which led me to search for an alternative... I settled on a set of Zipp 302's and Venn 507 TCD tubeless clincher discs from probikekit.

After reading this thread from start to finish I'm super-excited about the Venns, and super-impressed with Victor.... the guy is a class-act!

I think the 6 bolt configuration is strange... Centerlock seems like the more obvious choice. I'm looking forward to completing the build and getting some miles in on the new wheels. I'll be happy to post my thoughts in the coming weeks re the wheels.

Here's essentially my build... (attached)

Obviously the wheels will be different and I'm running power. Also, I haven't decided on tyres... I've been running Schwalbe ones for years - most recently in 28mm and always tubeless. I like them, but maybe theres something better out there now? Thoughts?
Attachments
IMG_6757.JPG

Canch

by Canch

shannonlinnan wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 11:10 am

Incredibly hot bike! But please, replace those rotors with DA!
Rotors will be replaced with DA 140 front and back

moonoi

by moonoi

Still waiting for my frame to arrive (funnily enough also a Concept disc), had the wheels since December since the frame was originally supposed to arrive in Jan. In the meantime have installed with 6 bolt XT discs, think they look better than with the weird wing things on the DA/Ultegra centrerlock discs personally...

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

kuniyokeiji

by kuniyokeiji

shannonlinnan wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 11:40 am
I think the 6 bolt configuration is strange... Centerlock seems like the more obvious choice. I'm looking forward to completing the build and getting some miles in on the new wheels. I'll be happy to post my thoughts in the coming weeks re the wheels.
yes centrelock flavor pls @vmajor

MattN

by MattN

Probikekit currently have the Venn 35 tubular in Campag fit for £408!

zselby

by zselby

For anyone that bought from PBK, what axle configuration are the wheelsets? I asked but they didn't know and haven't gotten back to me.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

vmajor

by vmajor

Disc brake wheels from the current batch are:

15 x 100mm through axle front
12 x 142mm through axle rear

Subsequent stock will come with the following:

12 x 100mm through axle front
12 x 142mm through axle rear

If the standard configuration is not suitable you can buy the adapters that you need here: https://shop.venn-cycling.com/index.php ... omponents/

Beaver

by Beaver

Any news on the 21mm inner/30mm outer width rims, that are not REV? Weight and rim shape would be interesting. THX!

vmajor

by vmajor

Almost ready to introduce them, along with the new 77mm rim. We need to make some minor changes to clarify the difference between our rim design method and what Flo did.

Weights of new rims are a little higher on average, primarily due to them having a larger surface area and therefore more material.

Beaver

by Beaver

vmajor wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:25 am
Almost ready to introduce them, along with the new 77mm rim. We need to make some minor changes to clarify the difference between our rim design method and what Flo did.

Weights of new rims are a little higher on average, primarily due to them having a larger surface area and therefore more material.
Ok, thanks. Did you change the shape to a sharp V as on the 507 TCC? This shape is more stable in crosswinds but should have a bit more turbulences in high yaw angles.

And don't forget, that the 105% rule doesn't apply on the rear wheel. ;) The front part is protected by the seattube and for the rear part, if you want the airflow to separate as late as possible, the tire should be the widest part. So 21mm inside and 28mm outside are all right. But that's more theory than to be experienced on the road. ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com