Velocite filament wound rims

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

vmajor
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by vmajor

Still China, but the process is more robust and better suited to the existing manufacturing environment.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

charithah

by charithah

Got my Venn VAR 45 wheels 2 weeks ago. Spec'd with DT Swiss 240s (upgraded to 36T engagement) and laced with Sapim CX Rays. Went tubeless with Conti GP 5000 TL. Did over 250km over the 2 weeks and very happy so far :D . Very stable on fast descents and didn't encounter any twitching on cross winds.

Special thanks to Victor for following up the order.

drexel75

by drexel75

I got my new wheels last week. Venn VAR507 rims with DT Swiss 350 hubs and Sapim CX Ray spokes from Sharp Precision Wheels. Great service from Ben there and the wheels are superb. Coming from Mavic Cosmic Exalith I was amazed at how quick these spin up to speed compared to the Mavic's. I haven't went tubeless yet but am using Conti GP5000's too, the 25's sit slightly smaller than the rims and seem to absorb bumps that would have been felt previously.

walfisch

by walfisch

Anyone has ridden the Venn Var 37 so far?

vmajor

by vmajor

For anyone interested, we have a new gravel or "wide" (28-30mm) road disc rim and wheelsets out: Venn Var 40 TCD

This him is hooked as oppposed to our XC MTB derived Venn 259 THL.

The profile of the Venn Var 40 TCD was optimised for high yaw aerodynamics, rather than straight line. This better reflects what happens when you ride your bike over uneven terrain and should work out faster in practice. For best aerodynamics you do need to stick with tires from 28-30mm wide. For gravel use, wide tires are well supported by the 23mm internal width so they will retain their shape reasonably well during cornering even at lower pressures.

Another standout feature is a huge pullthrough strength of approximately 650 kgf. This is almost double the industry norm of 350 kfg. Thus, if you use good quality nipples and spokes (and wheel building), you are unlikely to suffer from a catastrophic failure mid rocky ride somewhere remote.

V.

cloud9blue

by cloud9blue

looks great, but would like to see more +30mm external width rims for disc brake in the future. That would be perfect for all-road or gravel use when fitted with 32-35mm wide tires.

emotive

by emotive

cloud9blue wrote:looks great, but would like to see more +30mm external width rims for disc brake in the future. That would be perfect for all-road or gravel use when fitted with 32-35mm wide tires.
Agree. 28-30mm measured tyre width on a 23C rim requires a 25mm nominal tyre. Most 28mm nominal tyres will measure over 30mm on a 23c, so these are road wheels, not really allroad or gravel wheels. DT Swiss are at 33mm wide, Hunt are at 34mm wide, and Roval are at 35mm wide already.

Something around 35mm wide would be good for allroad and gravel.

vmajor

by vmajor

Well, for gravel use aerodynamics are already a lost cause as the tire is knobby and at least 32mm wide. What we tried to do is stick with our position of working with real physics and make a rim that is actually aerodynamic when used with somewhat wider tires (28-30mm). Going beyond this width will nuke aerodynamics in any direction, regardless of the pretty graphs and claims to the contrary by various brands.

With the Var 40 TCD you will get the aero gains on the road with the wider tires, while on gravel you get good tire support and class leading rim strength.

EDIT: We also have this rim dedicated to gravel use in 650B and 700c variants: Venn 259 THL

It is 32mm/26.5mm external/internal wide, light, strong and has no aero aspirations :)

cloud9blue

by cloud9blue

I was thinking more about slick high volume tires like GravelKing Slick Plus.

But yes, totally agree on pointlessness of using aero rims with knobby MTB like tires. You are better off with lightweight 650B rims at that point and just get a XC MTB bike.

kitchencity

by kitchencity

vmajor wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:32 am
Well, for gravel use aerodynamics are already a lost cause as the tire is knobby and at least 32mm wide. What we tried to do is stick with our position of working with real physics and make a rim that is actually aerodynamic when used with somewhat wider tires (28-30mm). Going beyond this width will nuke aerodynamics in any direction, regardless of the pretty graphs and claims to the contrary by various brands.

With the Var 40 TCD you will get the aero gains on the road with the wider tires, while on gravel you get good tire support and class leading rim strength.

EDIT: We also have this rim dedicated to gravel use in 650B and 700c variants: Venn 259 THL

It is 32mm/26.5mm external/internal wide, light, strong and has no aero aspirations :)
What is the max spoke tension supported for these and the 37 or 35s? The talk of increased pull through had me wondering...

Thanks.

vmajor

by vmajor

We still recommend the 1300N (~130kgf) standard out of considerations for hubs, spokes and nipples, and uniform standards that we maintain with our wheel builders

vmajor

by vmajor

I posted this on the Slowtiwtch forum, but realized that it may be of interest to people here as well.

We made some Venn Var 77 deep section rims (read more here) and then the pandemic happened and virtually all triathlon and ironman competition stopped. Now we have possibly a WW III brewing, but we can at least compete in the meantime...

What this means for us is that we have inventory that has been captive for almost two years and that we can finally sell, but I want to sell it quickly, not gradually as I would like to see that money returned to the business.

We have Venn Var 77 rims in raw finish - we can prepare them either for rim, or disc brake use (the rims are structurally identical) and a significant inventory of straight pull rim and (Centrelock) disc brake DT Swiss 350 hubs.

The wheels will be hand built to order, and it means that once we receive your order it will take approximately two weeks before we can ship them to you.

The two wheelset versions that are available at this discount are:

Rim brake: Venn Var 77 TCC clincher rim brake bike DT Swiss 350 carbon wheels
Disc brake: Venn Var 77 TCD filament wound tubeless clincher disc brake DT Swiss 350 CL wheels

30% discount will be applied during checkout and you need to use this coupon code: STFOFFER

If you have any questions you can of course reply here, or message me, or send a customer service request to us.

daninplymouth

by daninplymouth

walfisch wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:22 pm
Anyone has ridden the Venn Var 37 so far?
Yes I like them, they roll quick for a shallower rim but I'm just about to put mine up for sale in the classified's here

Matt28NJ

by Matt28NJ

vmajor wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:53 am
30% discount will be applied during checkout and you need to use this coupon code: STFOFFER

I just applied the coupon to the wheels at it gave a 30 EURO discount; not 30%.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

vmajor

by vmajor

Whoops. Fixed that and changed it to 35% discount since we found a better shipping option.