Mavic Ksyrium SLR Vs Fulcrum Racing Zero Nite

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Grill

by Grill

fa63 wrote:Actually, not true. I have several friends with Exalith Mavic wheels, and the coating has stayed on even through the wet.

Archetypes and such cannot be compared because they are simply coated or hard anodized (which is different than the procedure Mavic use).

But how much grit were in his pads? Happens to Mavics too.

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

My go to wheels are Mavic SLR's (2012 Exalith) - I weight 90kgs, ride all year round(50% in the hills) and live on a hill with a final climb (and descent) avg over 12% for 2kms - my rims get a lot of braking even when going on a flat ride.

On my 2nd set of brake pads - almost on my third set and no sign of rubbing through the exalith finish.
Earlier in this thread I was praising the performance of my standard Fulcrum Zero's compared to my Mavics. My opinion has shifted a little since denting my Fulcrum's rear rim and investigating a rim replacement repair. Quoted cost from multiple sources was about 75% of what I paid for the wheelset and a lot more than similar repair to a Mavic wheel due to the higher labour required.

All things considered I would now favour the 2015 Mavic SLR wheels over the 2015 Fulcrum Zero Nites/Shamals if looking for a dark finish rim wheel - They are lighter, easier and cheaper to repair and importantly the dark rim finish/brake track treatment for which you are paying a premium works really well and is durable.
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Grill

by Grill

Factory built rim replacement is always a rip-off. If this I one of your main criteria when you're buying wheels then you should be going hand built every time. Seen the cost of a Shimano DA C24 rim? Yeah, not the best metric for comparison.

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

I agree - when the handbuild rim option equal to Exalith arrives I'll be a very happy boy (I know.. dream on)
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

guyc

by guyc

Grill wrote:These type of coatings always come off in the wet/gritty conditions. Take a look at Archetypes in black or grey. The coating lasts fine if babied in the dry but that's it. It doesn't in any way affect the braking power of the rim (as Fulcrum/Campag say). Grow up and stop being such a tart.

Apples to oranges much?

Try comparing like for like.

Grill

by Grill

I did. Look at the pic of the Mavic I posted. It's hardly unique.

scottydonmitchell85

by scottydonmitchell85

[quote="Grill] These type of coatings always come off in the wet/gritty conditions. Take a look at Archetypes in black or grey. The coating lasts fine if babied in the dry but that's it. It doesn't in any way affect the braking power of the rim (as Fulcrum/Campag say). Grow up and stop being such a tart.[/quote]
Grill what about you buy the product and talk from personal experience rather than what you've read on the net somewhere. I've ridden the fulcrums in the wet you haven't. Probably best you keep your opinions to yourself before you call someone a idiot and a tart. It's a bit childish.

Grill

by Grill

That's funny, because I'm currently looking at a pair of Racing Zero Nites sitting on my Road Logic right now. Perhaps you shouldn't assume I have no experience with a product just because I get annoyed by people who only join a forum to slag off a company. I have a lot of experience in the sports retail market, so I'm quite dubious in regards to claims of 'so I was just riding along...'. There's always two sides and it's natural for people to blame others when they screw up. Accepting responsibility just isn't as cool as it used to be.

paddlemyowncanoe

by paddlemyowncanoe

One long wet ride on Sunday and now my Fulcrum Nites look just like yours. I have always kept the pads scrupulously clean and take great care with my kit. This is a massive disappointment and an expensive one - should have gone Mavic. As for still working perfectly well, the worst affected (rear) is definitely more grabby, maybe because the anodising has only worn through in patches. Once it's all gone maybe it'll be OK.

As a possible but second rate solution, would it be possible to retro-fit boggo Fulcrum Zero rims onto these hubs?

cany

by cany

Design SLR performance FRZ

tuba

by tuba

any info on how often the previous owners with wear on the rims were cleaning the brake pads/rims?

morkm

by morkm

Disappointed to see the Fulcrum brake coating wearing off so quickly/easily in the wet. More disappointed in Fulcrum's response.

jamielechte

by jamielechte

Im running both shamal dark label and a couple of sets of the Mavics. I'm also considering purchasing a pair of Mille/Nites as per one of the previous posters commented, they behave quite a bit differently.

A friend had a set of the Mavics in the early days and interestingly they also were prone to the same coating loss. I'd suspect as Campy are new to this, their chem mix may be NQR just yet and they are effectively in beta still.

As for the wheels and not looks- R-SYS for climbing hands down, campy for all day riding and one of the smoothest rides going.

Parlee Z5i
cervelo R3SL (climbing)
Ritte Bosberg (Crits)

soberhawk

by soberhawk

I recommend you to try the mavic ksyrium slr due to much stronger than other one..
I used two wheel sets already..

ianSWBB
Shop Wrench

by ianSWBB

We're loving the Zero Nite wheels!
but if you can stretch the budget, get the Zero Carbons - they're the best full carbon clincher for the money!! :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com