Would 200gr savings in wheels make a noticeable difference?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nrsnow

by nrsnow

There's a similar post out here referring to the weight of a frame. I'm speaking about the wheels. Would 200gr savings in wheels make a noticeable difference?

devinci

by devinci

Not really. You ride mtb right? I made a ~350-400g saving from dt swiss to handbuilt wheels and i could tell a small difference when stoping and accelerating.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kavitator

by kavitator

depends where less weight will be (in rims or in hubs)

nrsnow

by nrsnow

kavitator wrote:depends where less weight will be (in rims or in hubs)

Hubs and spokes

aerozy

by aerozy

I dont know about you guys but I've noticed huge diferences going from heavy to light wheels. Its obviously more important then any other part of the bike because you have translational and rotational inertias involved. 300gr on the frame might not make much of a difference but on wheels sure thing! Add the aerodynamics factor in there and wheels are the most important component on the bike
Factor O2 Rim / Winspace 1500 Disk / Yoeleo R6 Rim / Cervelo S2 Rim

nrsnow

by nrsnow

In order for me to save 200gr on a wheelset I will have to spend $1262usd! :roll: Is it still worth it??

campbellrae

by campbellrae

I guess 'worth it' will depend on your perspective. If you are competing at a high level then the small advantage could make all the difference and you might end up with a better result. If you are just riding then probably not, unless of course you want them and can afford them, then I think it would be worth it!

FWIW I just got a new road bike, but went from racing wheels to training wheels adding about 400g and there is a definite difference while accelerating and climbing. But I also have much heavier tyres on my training wheels, I think the total weight difference is nearly 700g as I went from Bontrager Race X Lights with Ultremo ZX's to handbuilt tough as nails training wheels with heavy duty hardshell tyres at nearly 400g a piece!

kgt

by kgt

200gr from the rims make a really noticeable difference IME.

artray

by artray

I was riding r sys Mavic clinchers and Topolino clinchers .I got a handuilt set of clinchers they now weigh 1172grms . My whole bike feels much lighter and quicker.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Every gram counts.

Cumulative gains (or in this case, cumulative losses).
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

konky

by konky

For my Shimano bike I have a pair of Dura Ace C35 and a pair of AX/Tune wheels. The RRP is similar but there is a 500g difference in weight. The AX wheels are a work of art but truth is I hardly ever use them.

When it comes to wheels smoothness, stiffness and durability are the benefits that count. If you are buying your main set of wheels spend the money on smoothness, stiffness and durabily over weight.

I wouldn't give up my AX wheels for anything but they are a second set for those rare mountain climbing days. Or when I just want to lift my WW bike and marvel over it's low weight. Sad hey.

kavitator

by kavitator

lighter rim andspokes Ok.
Hubs: more important performance

we had a test on 7min climb, tempo ride, around 8%grade avg. wheelset 1. =1010g tubular, wheelset 2.=1680g clinchers.
power was almost same. NO difference in climbing time from point Start to point Finish.

but it was tempo ride; no quick accelerations in hill.

djconnel

by djconnel

kavitator wrote:lighter rim andspokes Ok.
Hubs: more important performance

we had a test on 7min climb, tempo ride, around 8%grade avg. wheelset 1. =1010g tubular, wheelset 2.=1680g clinchers.
power was almost same. NO difference in climbing time from point Start to point Finish.

but it was tempo ride; no quick accelerations in hill.

200 grams even on the tread is only 0.6% or less of total inertial load, 0.3% or less of the total gravitational load.

It's very hard to be consistent in two intervals to this precision. Mass from sweat loss, minor differences in wind, differences in rolling resistance from different lines taken, all confound the results.

So basically the answer to the original question is: theoretically it helps of course, but you'd never be able to notice faster times without careful analysis.

The wheels might well "feel" different, however. One might associate one or the other with feeling "fast".

konky

by konky

Wheels that spin well and/or are stiff will feel light more than light wheels will feel light.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kac

by kac

See Zinn's article on this topic in Velo news at their web site. Very informative and not all that clear about the benefits in all instances.

KAC